CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

Today is apparently not just any Monday, but a "we want to be cool so let's all hate on The Avengers because it's doing so well in the box office" kind of Monday.LOL at people in other forums. It was just a matter of time for this to happen.Apparently it's cool if you hate The Avengers, but it's even cooler if you haven't seen The Avengers and also hate it. :rolleyes:In the end, no one can argue with a 93% critic rating, an A+ Cinemascore, and 96% of over 300,000 people who liked it:http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/^ Now that's cool. B)

They are just getting scared. :lol:As I've said once, TA is so awesome that even the hate for the movie is tame. I never read a hater of this movie going all hate mode, it's always starts with the "it's good but" lines, or backhand comments like "it's fun but nothing else". When that's the best the haters can come up with, I see as a big compliment as a kick ass positive review. Edited by iJackSparrow

While the film is indeed performing spectacularly, I disagree with your calculations.One reason Avengers is doing so well on the weekends is that since it is May - and students are still in school - the weekdays are not as strong. If we assume another 50% drop for next weekend, meaning $50M, and a $30M weekday gross (also a 50% drop), the total is about $450M after next weekend. That's an outstanding sum, but not exactly $500M.If the movie then has another 40-50% weekday drop ($15-20M) and holds well over the 4-day Memorial Day frame (smaller 30% drop for ~$35M weekend), that puts it around the $500M mark.I will accept that perhaps my drops are too harsh (although...) and the total could be closer to $520M. However, I feel the duldrums of the first week of June combined with June openers will prevent Avengers from coming anywhere near $700M. I believe the most it will make is around $600M.

It's dropping less than 50% this weekend for sure. Probably closer to 40% actually. Should drop around 50-55% during the week though as we are still in May and schools aren't out yet. Should hit 400m on Thursday at earliest. If not then definitely Friday and be at 455-460m after weekend.

TA does not have much hate...Even on News sites with articles about box office numbers, you usually see people saying "oh God Hollywood sucks"But you actually see comments on people enjoying the film"How much of an impact will MIB3 have on TA?"Well not much even MIB3 does well...Looking back Holdovers all do well over Memorial Day, even IM2 fell 20% over the 4-days.Even Thor fell 22% against Hangover 2 domination...So really as long as no "family" movies comes out, TA will have strong Sat Sunday increases for a few more weeks.

TA doesn't have much hate because there's not much to hate about it. It's not that kind of film. Even people who don't love it like Noctis still give it like a B-. I can't see it ever really eliciting strong responses of hate from too many people. It's pretty inoffensive on that front.

• Like 1

Jordanstine was talking about other forums, not here. I think he posts at SHH though I can't see the mods tolerating any type of flaming or trolling over there. The only other place is IMDB which of course is a cesspool anyway.

I agree TA is very much like Iron Man 1.IM1 is likley one of the most neutral films recentlyPeople loved and most found it good/okay...Very few hate it.Actually I have yet to see a D or F grade for TA from anyone on this site or World of KJ or from anyone I know.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Jordanstine was talking about other forums, not here. I think he posts at SHH though I can't see the mods tolerating any type of flaming or trolling over there. The only other place is IMDB which of course is a cesspool anyway.

Yes, I was talking about other forums. Mostly other forums, like music and sports forums that have off-topic boards discussing movies.And yes, I do post at SHH too which, thanks to posters like Chewy was what guided me to this fancy forum!

It's dropping less than 50% this weekend for sure. Probably closer to 40% actually. Should drop around 50-55% during the week though as we are still in May and schools aren't out yet. Should hit 400m on Thursday at earliest. If not then definitely Friday and be at 455-460m after weekend.

Avenger hater confirmed. :rofl:

Yes, I was talking about other forums. Mostly other forums, like music and sports forums that have off-topic boards discussing movies.And yes, I do post at SHH too which, thanks to posters like Chewy was what guided me to this fancy forum!

I post there too but only in the XMen forums. Edited by ECSTASY

SHH is a mad house. I use forums for years and never seen something quite like that place. The hate going on there is virtually exclusive from theTDKR boards, there is even a mod there covering tracks for TDKR trolls (not fans, trolls, people that log in there everyday just to constantly bad mouth the movie) and banning the TA fans that try to argue back, while nothing happens to the TDKR fans. Since I was banned there for this very reason, the mod is also gone. At least my ban served for that, it could've been worse.You should check out the comicbookresources boards, it's a much healthier environment. Edited by iJackSparrow

SHH is a mad house. I use forums for years and never seen something quite like that place. The hate going on there is virtually exclusive from theTDKR boards, there is even a mod there covering tracks for TDKR trolls (not fans, trolls, people that log in there everyday just to constantly bad mouth the movie) and banning the TA fans that try to argue back, while nothing happens to the TDKR fans. Since I was banned there for this very reason, the mod is also gone. At least my ban served for that, it could've been worse.You should check out the comicbookresources boards, it's a much healthier environment.

Well they have it stickied that TDKR flamewars will not be tolerated.XMen First Class got a lot of hate but the mods took care of the trolling pretty quickly. I enjoyed my time over there.

To be fair, SHH is a haven for TDK/Nolan fans and they can say pretty much what they want witn no consequences, i don't even look on there anymore and no film is safe against hate on there apart from Batman.

Ah wow. But like I said, I spent a lot of time on there last year. Mods on XMen board didn't tolerate trolling like that.The absolute worst site for Comic Book fans is Comic Book Movie.com .That site is ridiculously bad. Edited by ECSTASY

Well they have it stickied that TDKR flamewars will not be tolerated.XMen First Class got a lot of hate but the mods took care of the trolling pretty quickly. I enjoyed my time over there.

Yes, but more than 5 TA regulars were banned, the other side I'm not sure that even got infraction points. But things look better there now, since a certain mod is missing from the boards. I know how the X-Men boards used to work back then with XMFC, it was nothing like that with the TA boards, and I'm sure it won't be the same with the TDKR boards too.

To be fair, SHH is a haven for TDK/Nolan fans and they can say pretty much what they want witn no consequences, i don't even look on there anymore and no film is safe against hate on there apart from Batman.

That is so untrue, it's not even funny. I went into the Avengers critic reviews thread about three weeks ago and it had turned into a Nolan/TDK bashfest because a critic made a positive comparison between Avengers and TDK. Apparently this offended some of the more passionate Avengers fans since they think TDK is a piece of garbage. There was zero punishment for that kind of stuff, but there have been plenty of bannings for people on the TDKR boards doing the same thing in reverse. The TDKR board at SHH is basically on lockdown and has been for years.

That is so untrue, it's not even funny. I went into the Avengers critic reviews thread about three weeks ago and it had turned into a Nolan/TDK bashfest because a critic made a positive comparison between Avengers and TDK. Apparently this offended some of the more passionate Avengers fans since they think TDK is a piece of garbage. There was zero punishment for that kind of stuff, but there have been plenty of bannings for people on the TDKR boards doing the same thing in reverse. The TDKR board at SHH is basically on lockdown and has been for years.

I know the TDKR boards quite well. It is indeed a safe haven for TDKR fans, not even only on their boards, but everywhere. Especially when the TDKR mod is around, which is basically a troll with mod powers.

I was just going to reply to Ecstacy and say i haven't been on there in well over a year so it may of completely changed and by what you just posted, it has changed.