CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

It's not about performing better than TDKR, that's the thing. I want TDKR to do as much money as THE AVENGERS. Do I think it'll happen? I don't think so, but this is not more important than TDKR being a great film.

What tickled me off was the way Dexter said that THE AVENGERS coud have the box office, while TDKR will be a better film. There's a reason why THE AVENGERS is loved, there's a reason why THE AVENGERS is getting praises from the public and critic alike and the reason is that's an insanely amazing movie. You don't need to think it's the greatest movie ever, that I can respect. I do disagree, but I can respect as it's an opinion and that's something that I value a lot.

What I can't respect is Nolan's Batman fans rooting against THE AVENGERS in the box office. That's where the line is drawn for me, that's where they lose my respect. That's where I see immaturity and think what the hell they have inside their brains to think it's a good idea to root against a movie's success. I can take Nolan's fans talking down the movie looking to The Avengers from a high horse because that's something that I expect them to do, but History will prove who's right. Hammering again and again that THE AVENGERS isn't an amazing movie won't make the movie any less amazing. Now, why someone would root against a movie's success? Why the need to talk about THE AVENGERS from a high horse like Nolan's Batman are some sort of high art films next to THE AVENGERS?

See, if I look to comic book adaptions, I have THE AVENGERS and MASK OF THE PHANTASM higher than anything else this genre has ever offered. But that's just my opinion. What I will not endorse is people rooting a movie to be less successful. That I can't get behind, and I'll act exactly like this if anyone root against TDKR when the time comes.

I don't see you calling out BKB for his numerous rants about TDKR, not to mention the personal attacks he has been known to engage in. Dexter is fucking harmless compared to him. Edited by redfirebird2008

To the guy who said Titanic is better than The Terminator or Terminator 2, you're an absolute joke. Titanic is a melodramatic POS, Terminator films are classics.

:wtf:Did you just call Titanic a melodramatic POS?! While I agree with you final point - about both Terminator films being classics, you are the absolute joke in being unable to appreciate one of cinemas greatest spectactles. Titanic hit a chord with the viewing public that only a handful of films ever could. Its jackasses like you who can't see beyond what the film was about - Rose's story of finding herself - no, you just want to see death and destruction of the ship sinking. If that is what you wanted with the movie, go watch a documentary about the wreck. For a movie with character, emotion and depth, Titanic has it all.
  • Like 5

They are far, FAR better films though, i doub't The Avengers will be thought of in the same way in 20 years time, do you?.

I do. Just like when I had to defend Avatar because people were saying the same thing it can't stand test of time.

It's not about performing better than TDKR, that's the thing. I want TDKR to do as much money as THE AVENGERS. Do I think it'll happen? I don't think so, but this is not more important than TDKR being a great film.

What tickled me off was the way Dexter said that THE AVENGERS coud have the box office, while TDKR will be a better film. There's a reason why THE AVENGERS is loved, there's a reason why THE AVENGERS is getting praises from the public and critic alike and the reason is that's an insanely amazing movie. You don't need to think it's the greatest movie ever, that I can respect. I do disagree, but I can respect as it's an opinion and that's something that I value a lot.

What I can't respect is Nolan's Batman fans rooting against THE AVENGERS in the box office. That's where the line is drawn for me, that's where they lose my respect. That's where I see immaturity and think what the hell they have inside their brains to think it's a good idea to root against a movie's success. I can take Nolan's fans talking down the movie looking to The Avengers from a high horse because that's something that I expect them to do, but History will prove who's right. Hammering again and again that THE AVENGERS isn't an amazing movie won't make the movie any less amazing. Now, why someone would root against a movie's success? Why the need to talk about THE AVENGERS from a high horse like Nolan's Batman are some sort of high art films next to THE AVENGERS?

See, if I look to comic book adaptions, I have THE AVENGERS and MASK OF THE PHANTASM higher than anything else this genre has ever offered. But that's just my opinion. What I will not endorse is people rooting a movie to be less successful. That I can't get behind, and I'll act exactly like this if anyone root against TDKR when the time comes.

Where is Davey Jones when you need him?, i wish you were still trapped in his locker.

I do. Just like when I had to defend Avatar because people were saying the same thing it can't stand test of time.

Avatar hasn't stood the test of time. It's less than 3 years old and won't have anywhere near the reputation of something like Raiders or Back To The Future 20 years from now. It's a good movie, nothing more and nothing less.

I honestly think THE AVENGERS and STAR WARS IV have a lot of similar qualities. As someone brilliantly put it here sometime ago, the new classics will be defined by the children of today. Find me ONE 10 years old kid who didn't fell in love with THE AVENGERS hard after watching the movie. We're witnessing the birth of a classic here folks, like it or not. Comparisons with SPIDER-MAN are flawed because that clearly wasn't THE perfect Spider-Man movie. I can see THE AVENGERS being hold as a classic for the decades to come quite easily, this movie has timeless qualities I just haven't seen in any other superhero movie, not even Superman.

Edited by iJackSparrow

Avatar hasn't stood the test of time. It's less than 3 years old and won't have anywhere near the reputation of something like Raiders or Back To The Future 20 years from now. It's a good movie, nothing more and nothing less.

It'll partly depend on the sequels just like Indy and BTTF. But it's effect on the 3D market is everlasting, so in a way it has already stood the test of time. Edited by skykisser

You can't say that for sure until we are 20 years in the future so please stop with the 'my opinion = fact' posts, i'm willing to bet it will be thought of higher than The Avengers (minus Avengers fanboys) but no one can say for sure either way.

Its not all about the actual movie. TA will be remembered for the ambitious project it was. Never done before same goes with Avatar. Navi and their world is all CGI plus the revolutionary 3D it had. People hate movies that break records. Trust me when I say this had Godfather been released now, it would get backlash too.

You can't say that for sure until we are 20 years in the future so please stop with the 'my opinion = fact' posts, i'm willing to bet it will be thought of higher than The Avengers (minus Avengers fanboys) but no one can say for sure either way.

Saying it hasn't stood the test of time is a FACT, not an opinion. The movie is too new to "stand the test of time." Fact, not opinion.

How can you know that for sure? Especially since it has two (maybe three) sequels planned and its ultimate legacy will very much depend on how good they are. Edited by tribefan695

Its not all about the actual movie. TA will be remembered for the ambitious project it was. Never done before same goes with Avatar. Navi and their world is all CGI plus the revolutionary 3D it had. People hate movies that break records. Trust me when I say this had Godfather been released now, it would get backlash too.

I would of 'liked' that post but i have reached my quota, i'm too much of a nice guy. :D

That point is BS. You just said to Red no opinions yet you interjected yours. Nobody knows for certain how a movie will be liked or disliked over 20 years from now.
  • Like 1

I honestly think THE AVENGERS and STAR WARS IV have a lot of similar qualities.As someone brilliantly put it here sometime ago, the new classics will be defined by the children of today. Find me ONE 10 years old kid who didn't fell in love with THE AVENGERS hard after watching the movie. We're witnessing the birth of a classic here folks, like it or not. Comparisons with SPIDER-MAN are flawed because that clearly wasn't THE perfect Spider-Man movie. I can see THE AVENGERS being hold as a classic for the decades to come quite easily, this movie has timeless qualities I just haven't seen in any other superhero movie, not even Superman.

You are right about it. I don't think I've ever seen a film that kids have been so crazy since well, I can't remember, Star Wars itself. Kids everywhere are wearing Avengers shirts and going crazy for these films. Kid-wise, Avengers is a phenomenon that only comes around once a decade or so.
  • Like 1

Godfather was hugely successful at the box office too and has had its fair share of backlash, not to mention parodies over the years. To me, the Wizard of Oz is a great example of a movie that stood the test of time. It flopped at the box office and then ended up being watched by more people than probably any movie in history, simply because it became a holiday tradition and parents passed it down to their kids from generation to generation. It became a beloved movie over time rather than being overpraised to begin with, which is often the case with popular movies in current times (TDK, Avengers, Avatar, you name it).