Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

They will simultaneously release the film worldwide. Korea already confirmed for July 2023.

http://m.businesspost.co.kr/BP?command=mobile_view&idxno=316797

May be you can confirm about China too sooner or later. 

Marketing strategy will be in SLAM DUNK form. No World Tour like Shinkai. Low cost publicity/marketing without any complexity.

That planned phase are likely to get demolished like Phase I Asia / Phase II West Market &Phase III LATAM. Because recent release of SLAM DUNK in Italy has spiked piracy and Studios are highly distributed because of leaks and alerted.

that's crazy.

I mean if they don't wanna give any info before release, it's hard for them to make a deal with distributors for oversea release, right?

There is 0 chance this film will release simultaneously worldwide. The date is in a month and almost no country has even announced the film let alone dated it. Maybe in some asian countries but definitely not worldwide.

That said I don't see this change distribution anyway. The names that can show little or nothing and get away with it can be counted on one hand. I am not even sure this film itself can get away with it. OW will likely be subdued as a result.

I think this strategy can only pay off in Japan where miyazaki's name can carry through for an atleast decent OW and then WOM can do whatever else in this market. That said I do not really see any benefit other than reduced cost. Outside of jp this will need a more traditional marketing campaign.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

that's crazy.

I mean if they don't wanna give any info before release, it's hard for them to make a deal with distributors for oversea release, right?

It's obviously hard but if see SLAM DUNK case, you have obviously known that they block commercialization of products related to the movie. 

Distributor/Licensor/Studio can't really do anything about it. As after all those earnings are coming because of the director.

They want people to know about their work not by their marketing but by self-discovery. 🤷

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

There is 0 chance this film will release simultaneously worldwide. The date is in a month and almost no country has even announced the film let alone dated it.

I won't comment on this but it's a subjective matter for all films because of piracy

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I think this strategy can only pay off in Japan where miyazaki's name can carry through for an atleast decent OW and then WOM can do whatever else in this market. That said I do not really see any benefit other than reduced cost. Outside of jp this will need a more traditional marketing campaign.

They are still paying for "The Wind Rises" &over long Production of this film. Studio doesn't have money "Can be" but Distributor "No". The likely scenario will be they didn't completed the film yet. 

If that's true I can't say further let's wait until June mid //

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I won't comment on this but it's a subjective matter for all films because of piracy

They are still paying for "The Wind Rises" &over long Production of this film. Studio doesn't have money "Can be" but Distributor "No". The likely scenario will be they didn't completed the film yet. 

If that's true I can't say further let's wait until June mid //

No money to even put out a trailer seems impossible to me. They must have had their reasons but I am not convinced.

Still let's see what happens. I still think the film will be great and hope it can do 15b+.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:45 PM, Issac Newton said:

Sony

• Spider-Man: No Way Home - ¥4.25B
  • Venom: Let There Be Carnage - ¥1.91B
  • Bullet Train - ¥1.35B
  • Resident Evil: Reboot - ¥610M
  • Uncharted - ¥560M
  • Morbius - ¥560M
  • The Way of the Househusband - ¥485M
  • Ghostbusters: Reboot - ¥410M
  • I Am Makimoto - ¥260M
  • The Violence Action - ¥210M
  • Crayfish - ¥165M 
  • Truffles - ¥10M

On 4/11/2023 at 8:41 PM, Issac Newton said:

Post- CoVid-19 Imported Animation

• The Super Mario Bros. Movie* - ¥10.333B
  • Minions: The Rise Of Gnu - ¥4.442B
  • Sing 2 - ¥3.311B
  • The LightYear - ¥1.223B
  • The Boss Baby: Family Business - ¥1.000B
  • Onwards - ¥870M
  • Tom and Jerry - ¥792M
  • Encanto - ¥702.39M (¥771M)
  • The Bad Guys - ¥360M
  • Raya and the Last Dragon - ¥359.85M
  • Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway - ¥320M
  • PAW Patrol: The Movie - ¥298M
  • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish - ¥240M
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile - ¥205M
  • Sonic: The Hedgehog 2 - ¥183M
  • Sonic: The Hedgehog - ¥171M
  • Trolls World Tour - ¥171M
  • The Strange World - ¥130M
  • Ron's Gone Wrong - ¥113.09M
  • Space Jam: A New Legacy - ¥73M
  • DC: League of Super-Pets - ¥57M
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog - ¥25M

2022 Sony Box Office &Post-CoVid-19 Imported Animation Film Updated 

Post-CoVid-19 ¥10B Record Holders

• Evangelion 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time - 1st Robot Anime Film 
  • One Piece: Film Red - 1st Toei Film (possibly could have been 1st ¥20B too)
  • Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - 1st Aniplex Film &Fastest Film to reach in 10-days
  • THE FIRST SLAM DUNK - 1st 3D CGI/Sports Anime Film. 2nd Toei Work.
  • Top Gun Maverick - 1st Imported Film to bleach ¥10B since Frozen II 
  • Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 - 1st Korean Director Film
  • Suzume's Locking-Up - 3rd Shinkai directed Film
  • Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine - became the 1st Film to exceed ¥10B (Previous Trio Conan Film excl. 2021 one where at ¥9.0B)
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 1st Video Game Adaptation &US/Japan Co-production 
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Monster will be No.1 today. Wonder where things will go ~ Broker did ¥840M back in 2022

4.3- Filmarks

4.2 - 映画.com

4.0 - MovieWalker

3.8 - Y!映画

81.5% RT

Seems like ¥85M OD // Live-action are getting tougher to work with but will Finish above "Broker" (¥840M) &Maybe ¥2.0B too // depending on WOM.

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

No money to even put out a trailer seems impossible to me. They must have had their reasons but I am not convinced.

Still let's see what happens. I still think the film will be great and hope it can do 15b+.

Doupt money is the reason. Even if this is the most expensive film Ghibli ever made (so like idk ~40-50 million $) and even if we ignore their prob quite big merch sales (for which i think Suzuki has given a 10+ billion Yen per year number years back) they still got enough cash injections in the last couple of years through putting their movies up on streaming and the couple of chinese releases that racked up what 100 million $ up till now. Its just Miyazaki reasons even down to just being contrarian

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It's hard to judge because there are clearly some school shenanigans going on during the week, but mario holds look pretty good. 14b back on the menu perhaps.

What's it at rn?