Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

The way the matches are scheduled, most of the matches seem to happen around early morning in east asia. People don't really go to movies that early anyway so I don't think it should affect it that much.

This one is later than the rest. I think they are taking in account asian audiences. It's at 3 AM European Time, I don't know what time is there
  • Like 1

This one is later than the rest. I think they are taking in account asian audiences. It's at 3 AM European Time, I don't know what time is there

Ah yeah you're right! It starts at 10 am so it should end around noon. In which case it could affect sunday morning numbers.

• Like 1

Speaking of Titanic in Yen, just how much were Titanic tickets back then? Frozen has already passed it in admissions and had both an increase in ticket prices and at least some higher prices from 3D so I'm a bit perplexed on how Titanic did so much more in Yen with fewer admissions?

Frozen has already passed Titanic in admissions? :blink:

So how many other all-time records are still yet to be broken? Highest in Ten? Highest in USD?

Edited by vc2002

This Sunday Japan debuts in world cup. I don't know if that will hurt boxoffice but i hope japanese players work better than japanese referees.

I think the game is at 10 am Japan time, so the morning shows will be weaker. But if people want to go to the movies they could still go in the afternoon.

ETA: lol Rsyu beat me. :P

Edited by catlover

The unfortunate thing about the time difference for this world cup means it's very difficult for us east asians to watch the world cup while consuming alcohol :P

Some of the games are at 1 am or so. You can't drink at that time? I don't drink at all, so I don't know. :P

The unfortunate thing about the time difference for this world cup means it's very difficult for us east asians to watch the world cup while consuming alcohol :P

Yeah, the time difference is a bit annoying. The earliest game is at 2AM in Australia. :(

Some of the games are at 1 am or so. You can't drink at that time? I don't drink at all, so I don't know. :P

I only watch South Korean matches live and they're all 5-7 ish in the morning. I could pull an all nighter I guess but then I'd be throwing away the rest of the day :P

Edited by Rsyu

I only watch South Korean matches live and they're all 5-7 ish in the morning. I could pull an all nighter I guess but then I'd be throwing away the rest of the day :P

Ah, I see. Our country is not playing, so people here have their own countries to root for :lol:.

Yeah, the time difference is a bit annoying. The earliest game is at 2AM in Australia. :(

Yeah, at least I can watch the 11 pm games here. But you can still watch the later ones on weekend, no?

Ah, I see. Our country is not playing, so people here have their own countries to root for :lol:.

Yeah, at least I can watch the 11 pm games here. But you can still watch the later ones on weekend, no?

Yes, the later game is at 8AM. But I'm on holiday anyway, finished my university class last week.

The question is how much of that 100M would go to Disney that $100M is probably about $40M for Disney and those combo-pack sales are already at $15.683M a month from release.

I think its closer to 50m and with the movie and marketing cost paid for its all profit.assuming they sell 2m dvds whether its july or dec, thats 80m rev. Then you have cost of dvd, marketing and retailer cut. 40m maybe? They foregoing 50m over 5 months to make it in 1month. I would take the 90m over 5 months. A friend of mine works for Oracle. At the end of a quarter they offer 40% off on $10m software packages to get 1 more penny to the bottom line for that quarter. They could sell that package for 3-4m more a few weeks later which bolsters the year as a whole but they want this quarter to look good. Its idiotic. Cisco intel microsoft and many others havent made all time highs in 14 years and others go bankrupt. Their strategy doesn't work. Another example throughout the centuries is lumber. They would cut all the trees down and the forrest doesn't come back. In some cases it turns into desert. Cutting 75% leaves the forrest intact and supplies more lumber in the years to come, but a corp wants that 25% this year, screw the future. Ironically, japan who waits a year to release a dvd to maximize profit in theaters and still sell 2.5m SA dvds, realized 400 years ago to cut only selected trees. To clear cut would kill the life blood of the island. To this day 60% of japan is forrest, unheard of in densly populated countries, that they still selectively cut. They think of long term profit and the repercussions of short term greed. Edited by T E Lawrence
  • Like 1

I think its closer to 50m and with the movie and marketing cost paid for its all profit.assuming they sell 2m dvds whether its july or dec, thats 80m rev. Then you have cost of dvd, marketing and retailer cut. 40m maybe? They foregoing 50m over 5 months to make it in 1month. I would take the 90m over 5 months.A friend of mine works for Oracle. At the end of a quarter they offer 40% off on $10m software packages to get 1 more penny to the bottom line for that quarter. They could sell that package for 3-4m more a few weeks later which bolsters the year as a whole but they want this quarter to look good. Its idiotic. Cisco intel microsoft and many others havent made all time highs in 14 years and others go bankrupt. Their strategy doesn't work.Another example throughout the centuries is lumber. They would cut all the trees down and the forrest doesn't come back. In some cases it turns into desert. Cutting 75% leaves the forrest intact and supplies more lumber in the years to come, but a corp wants that 25% this year, screw the future. Ironically, japan who waits a year to release a dvd to maximize profit in theaters and still sell 2.5m SA dvds, realized 400 years ago to cut only selected trees. To clear cut would kill the life blood of the island. To this day 60% of japan is forrest, unheard of in densly populated countries, that they still selectively cut. They think of long term profit and the repercussions of short term greed.

Great analogy. It's important to look at the whole forest before focusing on individual trees.

• Like 1

Individual greed probably is a factor. No doubt some of the higher ups are trying to boost revenue for this quarter to increase their bonuses, they'll start worrying about next quarter after they've secured their bonus this quarter. Short term goals at the expense of the long term.

• Like 1

Great analogy. It's important to look at the whole forest before focusing on individual trees.

if you take a look at google earth at Haiti and the The Dominican republic where the fence is that divides the island. Lush green to the east of the fence. 150 years ago, a TDR dictator heard about japan and made sure the jungle stayed intact w selective cutting. Haiti clear cut. Today TDR thrives and Haiti is a freaking mess.
  • Like 2

Just from the first two weeks of sales it's already the fourth bestselling BD of all time. Since it's been out for over two months, and has regularly led the pack in sales, it's probably not too much of a stretch to expect that it's at least the second bestselling of all time, and may have overtaken Avatar.

It's more difficult to get data on overall DVD sales, because really robust tracking and such is overall pretty recent (2009 or so), so many older titles don't have super accurate numbers that are easily available. Even so, The Dark Knight sold over 17m DVDs, and has over 2m in BD sales, so it's total combined is around 20m. Avatar's sitting around 17m combined.

Frozen's one week sales are north of 7m combined, and it's probably not too much of a stretch to guess that after two months it's pushing north of 15m. It could even be closer to 20m, if DVD sales are taking up a larger and larger percentage. Suffice to say, it's probably in the running for top three, at least for the past five years of tracking.

As far as all time video sales, The Lion King moved about 80m VHS tapes back in the 90s. Nothing will ever top that.

This is good stats. I wish we had a site like boxofficemojo which keeps track of DVD, Blu-ray, VHS (where data is available in the past), and VOD sales. We should not rule out the popularity/revenue of VOD. There are so many sources to get VOD. This may be the most difficult one to keep track of since everything is digital and they have to collect data from pretty much everyone who is offering it. (Cable TV - PPV, Amazon, Disney, Apple, Google (Youtube/Google Play),... and so many more)

I am a little surprised to see that the DVD sales are still so high. I thought over 50% of people in USA have a Blu-ray player by now. According to the prices on Amazon, most Blu-rays cost about $5 more than the DVD and they would include the DVD for free. I hope the DVDs that come with the Blu-rays are not counted into the sales as that would mess up the stats.

I will forever hate VOD and will never buy one. The quality of all VODs are crap compared to an actual Blu-ray disc. We need 1GBPS internet speed to stream Blu-ray type quality on VODs seamlessly (The VOD servers should be equally capable to have millions of users connected to it streaming at 1GBPS). With 4k and 4k 3D content on Blu-ray planned to be released at a commercial scale in the near future, studios will be using the next generation Blu-rays discs which may be upto 300GB in sizehttp://www.techradar.com/news/television/50gb-blu-ray-not-cutting-it-sony-panasonic-working-on-a-300gb-optical-disc-1169444

Edited by Annayya