Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Such a perfect syntax!

Looks like another drop around 30%. Decreases seem steady and the alternance between great holds and average drops is nowhere to be seen. Everyone with a decent knowledge of box office can do a 2+2. If actuals remain around 3M, then the idea of the dvd announcement not being a major factor in Frozen's weakening won't be legitimate anymore.

Excuse me for off topic, but...

All-Time Best-Selling Blu-ray Titles in the United States

1 Avatar                 6,955,081    $153,808,547  Apr 22, 2010
2 Frozen                  5,342,462    $107,470,907  Mar 18, 2014  4 weeks)))
3 Despicable Me 2   5,250,279    $105,477,536  Dec 10, 2013
4 The Avengers     5,065,875    $114,366,947  Sep 25, 2012

We know that in Easter, Blu-ray sales of family movie rapidly increase. So Frozen could be on first place, taking over the J. Cameron movie by Blu ray sales.

Edited by KZ-boy
  • Like 3

Frozen was doing very well. Then Titanic realised that Frozen was earning too much money but Titanic wanted to stay on top, so Titanic decided to sink Frozen's ship. I imagine the whole scene went like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Quigley

What a garbage ending to such a fantastic run in Japan for Frozen.

Hopefully other studios have learned how NOT to handle an overseas release from Disney.

I think Big Hero 6 will tank in Japan. If there is one thing Japan hates, its superhero movies outside of Spider-man. When it tanks, Disney will realize how much they screwed the pooch with Frozen in Japan. Shelves for Big Hero 6 toys will be completely full for weeks after the movie come out, while Frozen merchandise continues to fly off shelves. <_<

What a garbage ending to such a fantastic run in Japan for Frozen.

Hopefully other studios have learned how NOT to handle an overseas release from Disney.

I think Big Hero 6 will tank in Japan. If there is one thing Japan hates, its superhero movies outside of Spider-man. When it tanks, Disney will realize how much they screwed the pooch with Frozen in Japan. Shelves for Big Hero 6 toys will be completely full for weeks after the movie come out, while Frozen merchandise continues to fly off shelves. <_<

Big Hero 6 features Japanese characters, so maybe it'll do well in Japan.

Edited by tong kosong

Big Hero 6 features Japanese characters, so maybe it'll do fine in Japan.

If there is one thing Japan hates, it's Americans taking things that belong to Japan and passing it off as their own. Witness the epic flop that was named 47 Ronin. BH6 looks a bit too much like Power Rangers to me to succeed in Japan.

The Japanese movie audience will always avoid something if they think their country does it better.

Edited by Mojoguy

If there is one thing that studios learned from Frozen, that is how they SHOULD handle overseas releases. No other American studio has ever made a film that earned so much in Japan (in dollars, which is the currency that American studios care about). If anything, Frozen is an example to imitate (although it is probably impossible for other studios, because the Japanese love Disney films, which other studios obviously cannot produce).

Big Hero 6 features Japanese characters, so maybe it'll do fine in Japan.

I agree, although the chances of this factor being insignificant are as much as it being significant. Depends how the characters are portrayed.

If there is one thing Japan hates, it's Americans taking things that belong to Japan and passing it off as their own. Witness the epic flop that was named 47 Ronin.

I think Godzilla's performance will be critical to your argument. Besides, 47 Ronin tanked pretty much everywhere, not just Japan.

If there is one thing Japan hates, it's Americans taking things that belong to Japan and passing it off as their own. Witness the epic flop that was named 47 Ronin. BH6 looks a bit too much like Power Rangers to me to succeed in Japan.

The Japanese movie audience will always avoid something if they think their country does it better.

Well, The Last Samurai was big in Japan.

I think Godzilla's performance will be critical to your argument. Besides, 47 Ronin tanked pretty much everywhere, not just Japan.

Godzilla will flop I think. His popularity has really fade over the years in Japan. Also Japanese people will be reluctant to go see it after that last shitty American Zilla (98) movie.

Tom Cruise certainly helped a ton. He is one of the few actors that still has a large fanbase overseas.

Like I said I'm not denying he was a factor but the primary success of a movie always hinges on quality. Plenty of Tom Cruise films failed to generate any meaningful business in Japan. To say he made the success for last samurai is stretching it

Like I said I'm not denying he was a factor but the primary success of a movie always hinges on quality. Plenty of Tom Cruise films failed to generate any meaningful business in Japan. To say he made the success for last samurai is stretching it

Your argument doesn't work. Plenty of great American movies flop in Japan. Too many in fact.