AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Thing is "lack of kids entertainment" was a justification I used to predict a breakout for Guardians of Ga'Hoole. It also didn't do any favors for Puss in Boots, Happy Feet Two, or really any kids movie that came out last fall.

TLK re-release, Dolphin Tale, and even Real Steel to an extent had provided plenty of kid movies only a month or so before Puss and Happy Feet 2, so there was no drought there. Also Happy Feet 2 was always destined to tank for various reasons.As for Ga'Hoole, that's not really a fair comparison to this since it's not an established franchise flick released in the height of summer. It was also kind of dark and seemed like it was trying to aim for a teen and adult audience too in its trailers, so I think that maybe turned off some of the kid audience. And the drought before that wasn't as bad as this one either. You had Cats and Dogs, Nanny Mcphee, and Alpha and Omega, which although none of those were big hits together all 3 did at least provide some kid choices at the movies.Literally all we've had since Lorax is Pirates, which made a meager $20m. So that's a big part of why this is set up to open to at least $50m this weekend I think.

That's also true. It may be PG-13 but you'd be an idiot to think it wasn't seen by a ton of kids.

That's one of the reasons why Avengers is breaking records, and to a lesser extent why MIB3 had a decent hold this last weekend- families are desperate for options. The first kiddie release of the summer won't disappoint in its opening weekend. Maybe when Brave hits it, however... Edited by Gopher

Well those droughts weren't nearly as long as this one. Last fall we had Real Steel, Arthur Christmas, Jack and Jill, The Muppets, PiB, and Happy Feet 2 all opening close to each other. The last kids movie was Pirates! and that will be 7 weeks old when Madagascar opens. I do think that the legs will be weak because Brave will chop them off in two weeks.

Brave and Madagascar 3 should coexist fine. Ice Age 4 is the worry though.

I don't see how Ice Age 4 is more of a worry, Brave opens 2 weeks after Madagascar 3, Ice Age 4 opens 5 weeks later so it won't affect it as much. Brave is also going to make more money and take a bigger audience than Ice Age 4.

Madagascar and Ice Age have the same audience potential and can only gross up to 215M with their audience. Brave on the other hand is original and could perform anywhere between 150M-425M.

Oh shit, I actually think this might make 70M this weekend. Too bad good kids movies like The Pirates!, The Secret of Arrietty and A Cat in Paris do pretty much no money but this foolishness will do amazing business..

Too much to catch up on but really? Ugh, besides Avengers this has been an awful summer. Dictator, Prometheus get fresh reviews both overrated. Snow White gets bad reviews, it sucks.MIB3 and Mad3, two of the most useless crapfests getting good reviews as well when they look like ass. Blah. Still not interested.

The marketing has been mixed for me. On one hand, the new characters look solid, especially Frances McDormand as the villian. And Jessica Chastain. :wub:On the other hand, I'll shoot myself if I have to listen to the Afro Circus song again. Point is, it never really looked terrible outside of that.I'll probably see it on DVD, if these reviews keep up.

Edited by Spaghetti

The marketing has been mixed for me. On one hand, the new characters look solid, especially Frances McDormand as the villian. And Jessica Chastain. :wub:On the other hand, I'll shoot myself if I have to listen to the Afro Circus song again. Point is, it never really looked terrible outside of that.I'll probably see it on DVD, if these reviews keep up.

Agreed on the villain. If the marketing were centered more on her it might've looked more appealing.But all the humor they advertised surrounding the "good guys" seemed to be based solely on stupid character stereotypes. And I fucking hated that "Girl Look at That Body" ending to the second trailer. Yes, let's continue to teach our children that women are just objects. Edited by tribefan695