AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Here is a sampling of non Pixar animated films released in the summer and their multipliers:Despicable Me: 256 mill off a 56 mill opening: 4.48Shrek 4: 238 off 70: 3.4Kung Fu Panda: 215 off 60: 3.58Ice Age 3: 196 off 41: 4.78Kung Fu Panda 2: 165 off 47: 3.5Over the Hedge: 155 off 38: 4.07Now, the lowest opening of these animated films in the summer is 38 mill but that was for an original film. So the next lowest is 41 mill for IA3. Now it ended up being really well received and had a massive multiplier. So let;s say Madagascar is not well received and it opens to about what IA3 did. Give it a 43 mill opening. Give it a low multiplier of 3.4 (which is the lowest multpiler on here..shrek 4) and with that you have 146 mill. Voila. This is not making less than 100 mill and I'll put a big bet on that. There is simply no precedent for it.

This probably wont manage a 45M OW ...Middle 30s opening perhaps. Prometheus will destroy its OW and 2 weekend later there comes Brave.

Prometheus will destroy it opening weekend? :lol:

Guys, don't dismiss my post. I've given you plenty to go on here. You are saying that Mad 3 will buck the trend and just all out tank. There is no data to support that.

This is not making less than 100 mill and I'll put a big bet on that. There is simply no precedent for it.

I'm not saying it's going under $100m either. But why on earth would it open that high? That's only slightly less than KFP2 and that opened on Memorial Day weekend. It had two Saturdays. Edited by lab276

I'm not saying it's going under $100m either. But why on earth would it open that high? That's only slightly less than KFP2 and that opened on Memorial Day weekend. It had two Saturdays.

Why would it open that high? 43 mill? That's high for an animated film with a built in audience in the summer? :o

Yeah, the problem is not the multiplier, the OW is.

i'm simply stunned at this logic. What do you think it will open to, and why? Show me another film with a built in audience and in 3D, in the summer and a kids film that didn't open to more than 40 mill?

And it opened significantly lower than the first one with 3D and inflation. And it wasn't a threequel.

Exactly, it wasn't a threequel. We already know how the other two did, so there is no reason to think this will drop significantly with 3D.