AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Madagascar 3 has been in development ever since Madagascar 2 hit theaters...

It's downright stupid opening this two weeks before Brave. Look at these precedents- Over the Hedge fell -51% in its fourth weekend against Cars, Kung Fu Panda fell -47% in its fourth weekend against WALL-E, Shrek 4 fell -64% in its fifth weekend against Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda 2 fell -54% in its fifth weekend against Cars 2, and even Madagascar 2 fell -55% in its third weekend against Bolt.

Let's say it opens to 50m, which is pretty generous, considering KFP2 did 48m on a holiday weekend. If it follows KFP1's holds for the first two weeks (also very generous for a sequel, and generous because people loved KFP1) it reaches 110m before Brave opens. Then on its third weekend it falls a minimum of 50% to 13-something million. And considering how many screens Dreamworks movies tend to lose after the summer Pixar movie hits, Madagascar will probably be out of theaters before it reaches 160m, placing it in the vicinity of Megamind and Puss in Boots. That's the best case scenario, a 35%+ drop in admissions from the last one.

It should have stuck out June 1st before Snow White took it. Or May 18th- Battleship isn't a big threat and it could easily share Memorial Day weekend with MIB3.

May 18th was when it was originally scheduled, I think. The mind boggles as to why it was moved closer to Brave.

Most likely they were scared off by the domestic underperformances of Shrek Forever After and Kung Fu Panda 2. Still a stupid movie because the first half of the year has been wide open for kiddie fare, unlike 2010 or 2011. Sony saw that and put Pirates at the end of April, knowing it'll play to kids for all of May. Hell, Paramount could have put Madagascar 3 last weekend (in this hypothetical situation, Titanic 3D would go somewhere else), and it would have had weeks of no competition.

No way this opens to 50M, not even 40M.

Nah, it should be good for a $40M OW, maybe even 50m, if only because families and kids are going to be extremely deprived of movies once this rolls around (nothing in May, Pirates! the only thing in April), so this will certainly benefit from that. I think it will have much worse than normal legs though of an animated film, especially due to Brave. I wouldn't be surprised if it only has like a Cars 2 multi, or worse. Edited by MovieMan89

Nah, it should be good for a $40M OW, maybe even 50m, if only because families and kids are going to be extremely deprived of movies once this rolls around (nothing in May, Pirates! the only thing in April), so this will certainly benefit from that. I think it will have much worse than normal legs though of an animated film, especially due to Brave. I wouldn't be surprised if it only has like a Cars 2 multi, or worse.

Also, no animation released before KFP2 for 40 days.

You can't compare last years box office to this one. Madagascar is opening in June when kids get out of school. It will also be the first big animated film to come out since Lorax (I'm not including the Pirates Misfit movie). KFP I can't explain the opening, but the film was kind of shit so the gross makes sense. This at least looks funny and it looks like it's a film kids will want to see.