Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

BOM is wrong -- at the very least, out of date. They're going off the original approved production budget, which went up as they got well into production and post-production. The total budget ended up being around $310m or so -- still a great deal. And really, it's an insanely great deal because New Line pre-sold the films to foreign distributors (they had to buy the rights to all three movies, in advance)... so NL's cost was essentially nil, even before FOTR was released.

Oh okay, thanks for the lowdown. It's crazy how much of a gamble it was to film these movies to back to back. It could've been such a total disaster.

Not just Fri but a few other days as well. Regardless, we got to remember that he probably extrapolates the data available to him at the time on his own and just for our sake.

Yeah, definitely not dogging on him, just pointing out conditions can change a bit. If the Nikki estimate is true, I don't see how MIB ends up with 65m, 70 mil at least for the 4 day.

Holdover Marvel’s The Avengers is a solid #2 with about $9.5M today and $45M this 4-day weekend as the Disney movie’s foreign gross hits $752M foreign and $478M domestic coming into this weekend for a global cume of $1.2B. Universal’sBattleship is still moving slow, now sinking 65% from a week ago with only $2.8M today and $13.5M for the 4-day holiday. High hopes for Dark Castle’s Chernobyl Diaries deflated today to $3M for Joel Silver’s production company distributed by Warner Bros, and should open this weekend with $11M. That’s also about what Paramount’s disappointing holdover The Dictator should total. Finally, Warner Bros’ loser Dark Shadows may only muster $2.1M today and $9.5M.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/men-in-black-3-opens-to-1-3m-midnights/

Yeah, definitely not dogging on him, just pointing out conditions can change a bit. If the Nikki estimate is true, I don't see how MIB ends up with 65m, 70 mil at least for the 4 day.

I agree, MIB doom and gloom is premature and coming for quarters that have an agenda ;)

Rth is the man. Gotta go with his numbers until proven otherwise.

Of course but why is she so far off his numbers? It wasn't that lng ago that he gave us those numbers. Edited by Magic

I won't be surprised when BOM estimates come tomorrow morning for MIB 3 and it's close to 20m and all this doom and gloom will be all for naught.

Rth said 18M was probably high. He had 16-17M.

Certainly not shocking; the buzz just wasn't there. I always expected a $170M result for MIB3 and here's hoping it can even reach that. At least this weekend isn't as soul-crushing as Kung Fu Panda 2's goose-egg from last year...I'm still peeved about it I had pegged the movie for a $300M+ result at one point.

Overseas, Sony claimed “some fantastic new openings around the world, led by Russia, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia. Highlights: Russia was ”a sensational, dominant #1 opening grossing $3.5M, accounting for 85% of the box office. This is bigger than the opening day of Avengers and is Sony’s biggest opening day of all time.”

Woah!

Also Sony's response;

Tonight Sony doesn’t sound worried. “All around the world, the feeling is there is a big family audience which will be coming out over the weekend. While Western Europe continues to work to overcome some beautiful weather, we have the benefit of a holiday on Monday in various markets which should help boost our Sunday results there.” As for North America, ”Give us sometime to breathe here and wait for the kids to come out. Today will be good but Sat-Sun-Mon great.”