Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

Since I started posting on BOM:

2006: X3 makes more than X2 but most hate it. SR disappoints. "The Superhero film is dying."

2007: SM3 breaks OW record but sucks compared to SM2. GR and FF2 fail to impress as well. "The Superhero film as an art form is dead"

2008: IM2/TDK "The Superhero film just peaked"

2009: Watchmen disappoints/Wolverine fails to reach 200m. "The Superhero film is dying."

2010: IM2 makes nearly as much as IM1, "The Superhero film can't survive much longer"

2011: Thor, XFC, Cap fail to break 200m. "With Batman's last film and TA finally being released and TASM bound to disappoint, 2012 will be the end of the Superhero film as we know it."

2012: TA becomes first film to break 200m OW and highest grossing SH film of all time(WW and DOM)(Also highest grossing film not directed by James Cameron). TASM/TDKR still to come.

2013: IM3, MOS, Thor 2

2014: Cap 2, TASM 2

2015: TA 2?

What will the haters say about 2012?

The superhero film just peaked. Duh.

Next year, when IM3, Thor 2, and MOS all disappoint (either financially or critically), then it will be time for:

The superhero film is dying.

The budgets for those were kept low because they were made all at once. The whole thing has a budget over $270m.

Still, those movies add up to over 9 hours. Plus all those CGI effects were top notch at the time. It cost more money to make the last two Matrix movies that were filmed back to back then the whole LOTR trilogy.

Yeah don't know what's up with Nikki tonight. Maybe she's in Cannes or sick. She's not posting anything at all on Deadline. The last two Deadline articles from twitter are from someone else.

That's not true. They were pretty affordable, but well over $100m each.

BOM lists ROTK and TTT at 94m, and FOTR at 93m. That's 281m over 3 films. I'm just talking production budget only. Then yeah, they'd each go over 100m with marketing. Still, a helluva bargain.

Since I started posting on BOM:

2006: X3 makes more than X2 but many hate it. SR disappoints. "The Superhero film is dying."

2007: SM3 breaks OW record but sucks compared to SM2. GR and FF2 fail to impress as well. "The Superhero film as an art form is dead"

2008: IM2/TDK "The Superhero film just peaked"

2009: Watchmen disappoints/Wolverine fails to reach 200m. "The Superhero film is dying."

2010: IM2 makes nearly as much as IM1, "The Superhero film can't survive much longer"

2011: Thor, XFC, Cap fail to break 200m. "With Batman's last film and TA finally being released and TASM bound to disappoint, 2012 will be the end of the Superhero film as we know it."

2012: TA becomes first film to break 200m OW and highest grossing SH film of all time(WW and DOM)(Also highest grossing film not directed by James Cameron). TASM/TDKR still to come.

2013: IM3, MOS, Thor 2

2014: Cap 2, TASM 2

2015: TA 2?

What will the haters say about 2012?

I don't know what they'll say, but I'll say that they're just jealous because we're young and in love. :D

Rarely he is wrong but his accuracy is so damn near perfect that you dont doubt his numbers.

He was a bit over with last week's Avengers Friday number wasn't he? Still, not great for MIB. Hoping for the best. Edited by MrPink

I am truly sorry Nikke. We will never make fun of you again please give us numbers. I will forget " Not a record" ever existed.

LOL I'm so sure she cares about what we say about her on this site. :lol:

TA has raised the movie goer's standards.Battleship ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Yeah the comparisons by some critics that TA was just another TF pissed me off. It's what the TF franchise wishes it was but fails to be.
  • Like 1

But now it’s clear that the scifi laugher looks to open in the range of $18M-$20M today and only $65M to $75M for the 4-day North American holiday.

from Nikki

BOM lists ROTK and TTT at 94m, and FOTR at 93m. That's 281m over 3 films. I'm just talking production budget only. Then yeah, they'd each go over 100m with marketing. Still, a helluva bargain.

BOM is wrong -- at the very least, out of date. They're going off the original approved production budget, which went up as they got well into production and post-production. The total budget ended up being around $310m or so -- still a great deal. And really, it's an insanely great deal because New Line pre-sold the films to foreign distributors (they had to buy the rights to all three movies, in advance)... so NL's cost was essentially nil, even before FOTR was released.

He was a bit over with last week's Avengers Friday number wasn't he? Still, not great for MIB. Hoping for the best.

Not just Fri but a few other days as well. Regardless, we got to remember that he probably extrapolates the data available to him at the time on his own and just for our sake.