Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

And SH are culturally American ;)

The Avengers is a huge success in Asia and Latin America, it's a very good omen for the future given they will be much bigger in 2015.. The Hobbit is a big success only in Europe, where the growth is declining or weak.

The Avengers is a huge success in Asia and Latin America, it's a very good omen for the future given they will be much bigger in 2015.. The Hobbit is a big success only in Europe, where the growth is declining or weak.

I am conscious of Avengers possible growth. Anyway, TA can be considered a symbol in Asia and America, but in Europe is one more blockbuster.

I really don`t get insistance that TH must beat TA. TH is inferior book to LOTR and cast is complete and utter Z list rubbish compared to TA. Seriously, do you see a fuck from a shampoo commercial in TA? I don`t. There.

Who says you need to have a cast of A-listers to make a good film??I'm not making a comment on TH vs TA, just speaking generally.

I really don`t get insistance that TH must beat TA. TH is inferior book to LOTR and cast is complete and utter Z list rubbish compared to TA. Seriously, do you see a fuck from a shampoo commercial in TA? I don`t. There.

Again, opinions and tastes. You think that. I don't.

I don't get this "beat" thing at all. Basically, I hope every movie does as much business as possible - with maybe the exception of really terrible productions so they won't get sequels. So, while many seemed to get some satisfaction out of Disney's John Carter desaster, I found it sad because it might mean that Disney will keep away from taking similar risks in the future - and that's a sad thing. And from theater owner's POV, the more admissions, the more business -> better cinemas, maybe cheaper tickets. So, while I'm a bit disappointed in H1 "only" doing 1bil, I'm happy that there were other productions that did even better, so 2012 became one of the better years for the film industry.

• Like 2

Z list rubbish compared to A list rubbish (well a strong B for most of them)? Popular doesnt equal good, honey. Most of TA cast are passable actors at best. Id take Nesbit, Freeman, Armitage and McKellen over the lost of them.

The competition is good. With showdowns we can know what does prefer each country in a determined moment, and we can know what to expect for future releases. For that reason I wanted to point that meanwhile TA has beaten TH by far in Asia and America, Hobbit has been quite bigger than Avengers in Europe (quite expected, to be fair). In some big markets like US, Germany, Mexico or Brazil the differences have been abysmal.I agree with IndustriousAngel that TH run is a bit disappointing, but it is getting a remarkable gross. And I like too that another good movies like Avengers, TDKR or Skyfall can make so big amounts of money. It is just I do not get how Avengers was able to do so much with a so large difference over the other 3 billionaire movies (fingers crossed with TH) being the worst movie of these four. But of course, this is just my humble opinion.

Ratios The Hobbit1 gross: The Avengers' gross sorted decreasing over the countries

3,93 Finland

3,69 Slovenia

3,48 Poland

3,41 Serbia & Montenegro

3,35 Croatia

2,67 Sweden

2,66 Czech Republic

2,62 Germany

2,54 Austria

2,36 Denmark

2,26 Slovakia

2,23 Netherlands

1,99 Norway

1,95 Belgium

1,77 Bulgaria

1,64 Greece

1,60 Turkey

1,38 Spain

1,28 Iceland

1,27 Hungary

1,25 New Zealand

1,15 Portugal

1,04 France

1,01 Israel

1,00 Ukraine

,98 Russia - CIS

,98 Italy

,97 United Kingdom

,85 Lebanon

,74 Australia

,72 East Africa

,48 Uruguay

,46 DOM

,44 Malaysia

,43 South Korea

,40 Chile

,40 Argentina

,39 Singapore

,38 Hong Kong

,37 Japan

,37 Thailand

,36 United Arab Emirates

,36 Egypt

,35 South Africa (Entire Region)

,35 Colombia

,34 Bolivia

,31 Peru

,30 Venezuela

,30 Mexico

,29 Indonesia

,26 Brazil

,22 Ecuador

,14 India

,09 Philippines

?? China

Ghana

Lithuania

Nigeria

Romania

Taiwan

Edited by Rudolf
  • Like 1

Z list rubbish compared to A list rubbish (well a strong B for most of them)? Popular doesnt equal good, honey. Most of TA cast are passable actors at best. Id take Nesbit, Freeman, Armitage and McKellen over the lost of them.

I wouldn`t and nor would the audiences. Turner and O`Gorman were fuckin terrible with those 3-4 lines they had to deliver. freeman was Ok but nothing to slit writst about. McKelln cna do gandalg in his sleep and that`s exactly what he was doing. Armitage was the most boring brooding hero since Taylor Kitsch. So, yeah, list does matter. TA actors are way better. Only blinded TH fanboys wouldn`t admit it.
  • Like 1

TA actors are B-listers. Robert Downey Jr. is becoming a one trick pony like Johny Depp. They were phoning it in. It's not like the script gave them much to do, though.

TH script gave everyone nothing to do. At least TA one gave them something. And B list is still better than Z.Plus, McKellen is overrated too. What relevant movie-wise did he do since LOTR? Nothing. yeah, yeah, theater work, whatever. That isn`t movies. Absolutely no role in TH was well-written. None.
  • Like 1

Fishnets again you think Hollywood and celebrity is the be all and end all for everyone. News flash.. Its not. Its flashy, shallow and commercial. McKellen didnt really WANT to do Gandalf again, he WANTED to stay in Theatre and smaller scale movies. Movies are a side line for him. Most of TH actors are British, they are far less interested in shameless self promotion than American/Antipodean Actors, but hey its good money so why not?I didnt see anything in TA that proved any of them were better actors. I can see why perhaps a north American might think so, but that sort of acting and 'comedy' doesn't really translate. McKellen phoning it in > anything in TA.

Edited by Rovex
  • Like 1

TA had to juggle, what, 6 heroes? Child's play. Hobbit had 15!

At least, people could name those 6 heroes and tell who was doing what in any which moment...Can't say the same about The Hobbit...Don't need to stuff so many characters if half of them are useless . Edited by dashrendar44

why is this fishnets so desperate to wish ill on the cast of The Hobbit? What have they done to deserve it? She keeps saying she wants them all to fail and not get any roles. She keeps acting as if they all do and will have crappy careers just because they are not out to be box office draws

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1