Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

I`m happy that this club has failed miserably. Look at the title. It says over $1 billion OS whereas this mediocrity crawled to $1 billion WW despite 3D boost. Also, no amount of billions will make any of those Z-listers relevant in the long run. Granny will get some obligatory unfunny talk show appreaances where she`ll continue to bullshit about retiring from acting in order to care for African children and I guarantee you that by the age of 40, which is in 6 years, she`ll be forced to keep her promise cause even shampoo commercials won`t take her.

W/O Tolkien to milk, PJ will fade away. Nobody cares for Tintin and his non-ME movies were boxoffice disappointment (KK too expensive for its gross) and outright flop (TLB). Also, his undying tendency to bloat and disgust (bird shit, ball sack face Orc) will keep Oscars far far away as well. Nobody but TORN fucks will remember these losers by 2020, not even Elessar.

A granny by 34 must be a new record lol!

Around the eyes is bad maybe it's bad genes as well tbf i'm entirely sure who she is lol

She played Kate on Lost. And after that a heavily photoshopped spokeswoman for L`Oreal shampoo. And than Jackman`s love interst in Real Steel. Totlaly irrelevant career but I take aim because her Floppit character is a made-up Katniss rip-off - super archer in love with a midget.

She played Kate on Lost. And after that a heavily photoshopped spokeswoman for L`Oreal shampoo. And than Jackman`s love interst in Real Steel. Totlaly irrelevant career but I take aim because her Floppit character is a made-up Katniss rip-off - super archer in love with a midget.

Okay still none the wiser. I did quite like the hobbit but is she a made up characters just for the film if so they need to cut her out of it stay true to source material with even reason don't just make up random characters to sell tickets!

Okay still none the wiser. I did quite like the hobbit but is she a made up characters just for the film if so they need to cut her out of it stay true to source material with even reason don't just make up random characters to sell tickets!

They won`t cut her out from next 2 movies because the character is self-inserted Mary Sue of Philippa Boyens, Jackson`s wife #2 who behaves like Emperor Palpatine of New Zealand. They won`t cut out the Mrs Dictator and Tyrant`s fanfiction fantasy about being slim and sexy in a leather corset while firing arrows and romancing a hot dwarf. No sir. She thinks the movies need more feminine energy they`ll get feminine energy. The role was written for Saorise Ronan but she turned it down. So, yeah, blantant attempt to pander to YA crowds. How they went from Oscar-nominated teenager to irrelevant 34 years old shampoo chick is beyond me but there it is.

Edited by fishnets

Yeah, that Floppit is billion dollar underperformer for failing to match unadjusted FOTR dom and Shriekapoo OS and WW although those movies didn`t have 3D, IMAX, inflation and expanded markets on their side totally makes no sense. :rolleyes: Nor does the fact that Floppit wasn`t even certified fresh on RT and that it scored only 3 tech nominations and won zero while all 3 LOTR movies scored Best Picture nom among many other and that wa sback in time when there were ONLY 5 nominees. :rolleyes:

Give me a break. You spin doctors try to look at Floppit`s boxoffice performance without context because context doesn`t work in its favor, does it?

It`s an underperformer. Look at the title of this thread. It says over $1 billion OS, not over $1 billion WW. Well, it fell way short of the club`s goal. Floppit.

Yeah, that Floppit is billion dollar underperformer for failing to match unadjusted FOTR dom and Shriekapoo OS and WW although those movies didn`t have 3D, IMAX, inflation and expanded markets on their side totally makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Remember THE HOBBITS is No. 4 in the series. The performance may be disappointing relative to earlier movies but $1 billion ain't disappointing by any other measure. PIRATES 4 did only 66% of WORLD'S END but International bump it up to great profitability. I say Peter Jackson & Co. did very well considering the facts.

Shriekapoo? You guys need to let it go  ^_^

I haven't read the complete thread, but feel a bit confused about the 'tone' of a few posts here.

I do not know if the following is typical only for my RL circle of friends or universality (I might be a bit too old to understand the majority of today’s movie goers):

Nearly no one I know did read 'The Hobbit' before having seen the LotR movies. Most didn't read it even after seeing them as especially the 1st half of FotR (= Hobbit world centered) felt a bit 'lalala' => wasn’t their’s and my favorite part of the movie series (too 'sweet'/stoned/???). The ones who had read it beforehand had read it in their childhood, as it had (then?) the reputation of rather being a child's book.

I do not see to 100% The Hobbit as #4 of a movie series like e.g. Star Wars 1 even if it is similar in some points, as it might be the pre story how Frodo got to be the ring-bearer.... but beside one main character no one else stays a main character => for me it is in the same world but not within the main storyline of LotR => I am rather astonished about the financial results, as the age recommendations / promotions.... didn't follow this reputation.

I'll ‘judge’ the Hobbit movies when the story is told/finished => if all of them are released as the extended version as the movie making companies tend to cut the - for me more interesting - character scenes in favor for the 'explosions' (those I like too) and not one day earlier.

I haven't read the complete thread, but feel a bit confused about the 'tone' of a few posts here.

I do not know if the following is typical only for my RL circle of friends or universality (I might be a bit too old to understand the majority of today’s movie goers):

Nearly no one I know did read 'The Hobbit' before having seen the LotR movies. Most didn't read it even after seeing them as especially the 1st half of FotR (= Hobbit world centered) felt a bit 'lalala' => wasn’t their’s and my favorite part of the movie series (too 'sweet'/stoned/???). The ones who had read it beforehand had read it in their childhood, as it had (then?) the reputation of rather being a child's book.

I do not see to 100% The Hobbit as #4 of a movie series like e.g. Star Wars 1 even if it is similar in some points, as it might be the pre story how Frodo got to be the ring-bearer.... but beside one main character no one else stays a main character => for me it is in the same world but not within the main storyline of LotR => I am rather astonished about the financial results, as the age recommendations / promotions.... didn't follow this reputation.

I'll ‘judge’ the Hobbit movies when the story is told/finished => if all of them are released as the extended version as the movie making companies tend to cut the - for me more interesting - character scenes in favor for the 'explosions' (those I like too) and not one day earlier.

The Hobbit plot has no direct relation with LOTR (excepting Ring's find), but the Necromancer's plot is directly related to LOTR. But as you well said, we will have to wait to see the other 2 movies to appreciate it globally.

The Hobbit plot has no direct relation with LOTR (excepting Ring's find), but the Necromancer's plot is directly related to LOTR. But as you well said, we will have to wait to see the other 2 movies to appreciate it globally.

Agreed  :)  , but the Necromancer 'character' isn't really described (not shown his POV, I feel his part is rather done by telling the results of his orders) within LotR, so even as he stays as the leader of the 'bad' ones, he isn't IMHO a 'real' main character like e.g. Gandalf.

Curious if the difference between the cinema versions and the DVD/Blu-Ray extended version will be as big as they are for the 3 LotR movies. :thinking:

Agreed  :)  , but the Necromancer 'character' isn't really described (not shown his POV, I feel his part is rather done by telling the results of his orders) within LotR, so even as he stays as the leader of the 'bad' ones, he isn't IMHO a 'real' main character like e.g. Gandalf.

Curious if the difference between the cinema versions and the DVD/Blu-Ray extended version will be as big as they are for the 3 LotR movies. :thinking:

We will have to wait to see if Necromancer gets more relevance.

Maybe one of the last scenes of the third movie can be the Necromancer going to Mordor and becoming The Eye. Anyway, we will have to wait.

Can't imagine Peter Jackson hired a

prominent character actor as 'Sherlock' Cumberbach for an empty role. I do not doubt the imortance of the Necromancer role, I only meant with my other posts that he didn't have the same importance within the LotR movies

Arrgh, how did you get the hiding lease, so I can edit this?  Ha, found it, used the wrong brackets. I love FAQ

Edited by terrestrial