TLK

Weekend Estimates: TMB @ 13M, PROM @ 20.2M, ROA @ 15M, MAD3 @ 35.5M

Ok so I got some bad news at work today. My boss isn't allowing our group to do the summer hours program this year... the deal is you work an extra hour 4 days a week, then on the 5th day you get a half day. We did it last year and it went perfectly smooth. Company sent out a memo on it today announcing it for Summer 2012, and supervisor just writes in an e-mail to us "this isn't being offered this year"... huh? I replied and cc'd the team asking why, there's no cons, it worked great last year, can you clarify, etc. and he replies back "After careful discussion weighing the pros/cons I can not extend it this year. Thanks." Um discussion with who? What cons? Our group works exclusively with Europe, all of our urgent stuff takes place in the morning anyway because we're on Euro time zone, and the extra hour every day of the week gives more time to work on projects. I really think it's only because HE can't take advantage of it because it doesn't fit into his kids' daycare schedule... so he won't let the rest of us enjoy it even though we all loved it and were really looking forward to it. And I'm bitching about it here because I can't on Facebook or elsewhere. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I am sorry, that sucks. :( Hopefully next year it will be brought up again.

I am sorry, that sucks. :( Hopefully next year it will be brought up again.

Thanks, but it doesn't matter. This kind of turns my summer upside down because I was making plans around having a 1/2 day every week.. it was so nice last year, was able to get tons of stuff done, catch matinees, go to the beach, save on vacation time.. meh :(I think unless I get a promotion/decent raise, in January I'll start looking for a new job because then I'll have 2.5 years under my belt.

Box Office Yawn For Tom Cruise’s ‘Rock Of Ages’ & Adam Sandler’s ‘That’s My Boy’: ‘Madagascar 3′ & ‘Prometheus’ #1 & #2

By NIKKI FINKE

FRIDAY 8 PM: I waited to post to see if today’s openers would strengthen over the course of the day. Because based on today’s early numbers, the Summer 2012 box office is suffering a serious case of seasickness due to the constant up and down, up and down, motion of the North American box office.

After the tsunami that was Marvel’s The Avengers, five major studio movies disappointed. Then DreamWorks Animation’sMadagascar 3 and Fox’s Prometheus performed better than expected and are still easily holding #1 and #2 their second weekends with $35M and $23M respectively.

Contrast that with today’s newcomers: New Line/Warner Bros’ Rock Of Ages (3,470 theaters) starring Tom Cruise is falling to earth with a thud. I suspect the problem is in the casting; Russell Brand has been repellant to moviegoers, while Cruise as cool anybody proved incredulous for audiences. Right now the PG-13 musical is looking to open to only $18M to $21M after taking in just $7M today. The studio is still holding out hope, though: “A good CinemaScore tonight will result in great legs for the film.

Landmark Theatre on Pico just added a 2nd screen due to advance sales and a great LA Times review,” a WB exec emails me. Yes, but the pic is set on Sunset Boulevard after all. Columbia/Sony’s That’s My Boy (3,030 theaters) starring Adam Sandler also is bottoming. Hollywood didn’t expect him to attract his usual family friendly audience with an ‘R’ rating. But an actor who reliably takes in $30M to $40M every opening weekend dropping to $12M to $15M after grossing only $4M today can’t go unchastized. Especially if he hurt his brand with his most recent pic, that execrable flop Jack & Jill. Rounding out the Top Five, Universal’s Snow White And The Huntsman moving into its 3rd weekend is looking like $13M.

Edited by firedeep

Nikki speaks:

FRIDAY 8 PM: I waited to post to see if today’s openers would strengthen over the course of the day. Because based on today’s early numbers, the Summer 2012 box office is suffering a serious case of seasickness due to the constant up and down, up and down, motion of the North American box office. After the tsunami that was Marvel’s The Avengers, five major studio movies disappointed. Then DreamWorks Animation’sMadagascar 3 and Fox’s Prometheus performed better than expected and are still easily holding #1 and #2 their second weekends with $35M and $23M respectively. Contrast that with today’s newcomers: New Line/Warner Bros’ Rock Of Ages (3,470 theaters) starring Tom Cruise is falling to earth with a thud. I suspect the problem is in the casting; Russell Brand has been repellant to moviegoers, while Cruise as iconic rocker proved incredulous for audiences. Right now the PG-13 musical is looking to open to only $18M to $21M after taking in just $7M today. The studio is still holding out hope, though: “A good CinemaScore tonight will result in great legs for the film. Landmark Theatre on Pico just added a 2nd screen due to advance sales and a great LA Times review,” a WB exec emails me. Yes, but the pic is set on Sunset Boulevard after all. Columbia/Sony’s That’s My Boy (3,030 theaters) starring Adam Sandler also is bottoming. Hollywood didn’t expect him to attract his usual family friendly audience with an ‘R’ rating. But an actor who reliably takes in $30M to $40M every opening weekend dropping to $12M to $15M after grossing only $4M today can’t go unchastized. Especially if he hurt his brand with his most recent pic, that execrable flop Jack & Jill. Rounding out the Top Five, Universal’s Snow White And The Huntsman moving into its 3rd weekend is looking like $13M.

Why can't we just get Friday numbers for the holdovers? Nikki sucks at extrapolating, those weekend figures are useless.

She'll get to it, but she needs a few cups of coffee first. And maybe a cigarette. :P