A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

On 8/24/2024 at 5:13 AM, Maggie said:

I think this will get great reviews and open over 100M.

Even if it got good reviews, I think over 100M is out of reach for this, though I think it will do well.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Even if it got good reviews, I think over 100M is out of reach for this, though I think it will do well.

Go to tracking thread … atp less than 100M would be a bit surprising 

Sales strongly indicates September record can go down 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

You are going to be surprised  next week then.  Assuming the reviews are good that will only turbocharge sales.

• Like 1

I admit a Beetlejuice sequel being a big hit was never on my 2024 boxoffice bingo card.

What makes Beetlejuice so much bigger than Ghostbusters? Is Jenna Ortega really a bit hit with younger audiences?

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I admit a Beetlejuice sequel being a big hit was never on my 2024 boxoffice bingo card.

What makes Beetlejuice so much bigger than Ghostbusters? Is Jenna Ortega really a bit hit with younger audiences?

2016 kinda killed the franchise and the original stars weren’t featured in any of the marketing for Afterlife (as far as I can remember but I might be wrong here). Also yeah, Jenna Ortega is a bigger star.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

2016 kinda killed the franchise and the original stars weren’t featured in any of the marketing for Afterlife (as far as I can remember but I might be wrong here). Also yeah, Jenna Ortega is a bigger star.

Not doing Ghostbusters any favors either is that it's almost nonexistent overseas. It's purely a franchise that skews more domestically and even though it definitely has a dedicated fanbase, it's not enough to make it compete with other franchises that have been going on for decades. 

It's basically the friendler version of the Alien franchise. The fanbase will show up for whatever new installment comes out, but it won't expand much beyond it's core audience. Though I do think if Ghostbusters: Afterlife was the first new Ghostbusters movie and not the 2016 reboot, it would've been a lot bigger than just barely passing $200M worldwide. 

• Like 1

@lorddemaxus You are right.  The posters were reliant on Paul Rudd and Finn Wolfhard, and the commercials made it clear that McKenna Grace was the actual protagonist.  Annie Potts was the only original star in the marketing as the others' roles were hidden.

While Potts was in the marketing, she looked so much different than she did in the 80s, and I doubt that many casual (and even big fans who do not constantly check on what the stars are currently doing) recognized her.

The press releases included plenty of the original cast (most notably the image of Bill Murray playing with Grace), but most people do not check those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Not doing Ghostbusters any favors either is that it's almost nonexistent overseas. It's purely a franchise that skews more domestically and even though it definitely has a dedicated fanbase, it's not enough to make it compete with other franchises that have been going on for decades. 

It's basically the friendler version of the Alien franchise. The fanbase will show up for whatever new installment comes out, but it won't expand much beyond it's core audience. Though I do think if Ghostbusters: Afterlife was the first new Ghostbusters movie and not the 2016 reboot, it would've been a lot bigger than just barely passing $200M worldwide. 

Not sure that Beetlejuice is any bigger overseas then Ghostbusters.  There has got to other reasone why this seems to be much bigger then Ghostbusters.

I checked the tracking and I admit, I though a Beetlejuice  sequel would do well, but not that well. 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

If this is blockbuster, then  Wendesday  will have problem since Ortega will almost certainly want out to make a career in the movies.