Taylor

Weekend estimates pg 30 Brave 66.7

I don't know if it's that much more. I mean, things get pretty scary towards the climax, and on a more visceral level than the normal dark turns taken by Disney films around that time. Don't think it's enough to seriously impede word-of-mouth, though.

I agree, Pixar's films have definitely gotten a lot darker since their Monster's Inc, years, but keeping that in mind, the kids now are also into a lot darker fare since the kids that were targeted with Monster's and Nemo, and etc.

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118055896Rome With Love: 85k per screen (down from MIP but still pretty great)

That's not just great, it's freaking amazing. His last middling movie, which roughly got the same 50's RT score, only scored 20 something grand PTA. I predicted 75K for it, and I thought I was being too optimistic. Edited by riczhang

That Brave number is lower than Madagascar's if I remember correctly.

Yeah, Madagascar did 2183 on its OD. But, for some reason, we only got 1 2D and 1 3D for Brave. Mad3 had 1 2D, 1 3D, and 1 2D/3D split which means 5 extra shows.Mad3 was also hella frontloaded at our theater, and I really don't see Brave acting like that at all.
  • Like 1

That's not just great, it's freaking amazing. His last middling movie, which roughly got the same 50's RT score, only scored 20 something grand PTA. I predicted 75K for it, and I thought I was being too optimistic.

It's the Midnight in Paris effect. See what making a great film with awesome WOM can do for your career? Too bad Allen just flushed all that down the toilet by following it up with one of the worst of his career. Well, there goes all that wasted opportunity. You can bet "High Noon in London" won't be opening to no 85k PSA. :P Edited by MovieMan89

It'll kill word of mouth though. MIP set a high bar that Rome apparently doesn't come close to. Seeking a Friend was a really good movie, but it so does not belong in the summer. It's not even a comedy after the first 20 minutes. They should have left it in the spring.

It's the Midnight in Paris effect. See what making a great film with awesome WOM can do for your career? Too bad Allen just flushed all that down the toilet by following it up with one of the worst of his career. Well, there goes all that wasted opportunity. You can bet "High Noon in London" won't be opening to no 85k PSA. :P

It didn't work with Vicky Cruz Barcelona to Whatever Works, but I suppose Paris was a much better received film than Barcelona.

It didn't work with Vicky Cruz Barcelona to Whatever Works, but I suppose Paris was a much better received film than Barcelona.

VCB was more just about Cruz's performance. I wouldn't say the movie was anything special or had exceptional WOM. MIP really was his first notable film since Hannah and Her Sisters.
  • Like 1