Taylor

Weekend estimates pg 30 Brave 66.7

There was a club for over 100M (which was ridiculed), but the vast, vast majority of projections on this board have been for a colossal bomb of Jonah Hex proportions.

I was at a party last week and one guy there was asking me about it. I've never got the indication of a ginormous dud, more like a thundering meh.

It's interesting how people dismiss the premise of ALVH as ridiculous amd gimmicky, and yet, I guarantee you that, had it been directed by some fanboy-favorite director, nobody would say that the premise is lame. And it would not be just a case of "well, if Joss Whedon or JJ Abramas or Matthew Vaughn or Chris Nolan or James Cameron directed, it would definitely elevate the film beyond the ridiculousness of the premise," no, I bet you that fanboys would totally rave about what a cool premise it is, how awesome those directors are for coming up with that scenario, blah blah blah.

I disagree. When I first thought of the film, I was kind of interested in it. But those super serial trailers completely turned me off. Then it got destroyed by critics. Maybe if it didn't take itself so seriously, I would be more interested but not in the product up there right now.

But none of those guys would direct this, so your point is kinda moot.

You don't know that.If someone had told me 6 years ago that Cameron would direct a film "about blue cat-furries who have sex with their tails and pray to a computer-goddess" or that the director of "Memento" would direct a film based on a comic book about "a grown ass man who dresses in Bat drag" I would have laughed.
  • Like 1

I was at a party last week and one guy there was asking me about it. I've never got the indication of a ginormous dud, more like a thundering meh.

I was referring to this forum. Most people I talked to in person were kind of skeptical and a bit snarky about it, but the true venom against it was on the movie boards, including this one.

Most people I talked to in person were kind of skeptical and a bit snarky about it, but the true venom against it was on the movie boards, including this one.

Isn't that case for most movies? It's what the Internet does.

For a movie like Brave, a family movie, 22M on Friday will possibly be closer to 70M than 60M.

Ugh... Why won't people listen to me?Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and Cars 2 ALL dropped on their first Saturday. And they were all June releases. Also Ratatoullie only had like a 4% increase. If that.

Isn't that case for most movies? It's what the Internet does.

Not when it comes to sci-fi, comic book movies, art house movies, post-modern movies, etc.When it comes to period movies, rom-coms, chick flicks, Nicholas Cage movies, yes.

Ugh... Why won't people listen to me?Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and Cars 2 ALL dropped on their first Saturday. And they were all June releases. Also Ratatoullie only had like a 4% increase. If that.

It's not that I wasn't listening to you. I never read any of your posts about it. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

You don't know that.If someone had told me 6 years ago that Cameron would direct a film "about blue cat-furries who have sex with their tails and pray to a computer-goddess" or that the director of "Memento" would direct a film based on a comic book about "a grown ass man who dresses in Bat drag" I would have laughed.

Your comparing a concept Cameron came up with himself and arguably the most popular superhero in the world with a funny mash up of Abraham Lincoln and vampires?Seriously? Producer Tim Burton himself chose not to direct this thing.

For a movie like Brave, a family movie, 22M on Friday will possibly be closer to 70M than 60M.

It's a family movie, sure, but it's also a Pixar movie...Pixar has a built in fanbase. Do I have to explain this every year? :P

I think it will increase 7-8%. It's very family friendly film. Classic Disney stuff. The other Pixar films were sequels or more adult oriented.

Even if it doesn't increase that much 60-62M for OW is a great step forward out of the Cars 2 shadow. And don't forget LEGS!