Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I have read the article in the link and it has confirmed what I suspected. There probably were people of colour in Denmark at the time, yet they would have been servants, decorations, toys or objects of wonder, especially in the context of a royal palace. A good representation is given in the recent Danish film "A Royal Affair". If people of colour had to be accurately incorporated in Frozen, it would have to be in very demeaning positions. I'm not sure whether this would have been welcomed by the public as a positive step.

There were people of color in Frozen in the 'Opening the Gate' scenes and the ballroom scenes.  And not just servants.

None of the main characters were people of color but I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that the nobility of this time period and place where anything but white.

Elsa/Anna

Rapunzel

Tiana

Mulan

Pocahontas

Jasmine

4 of the last 6 princess movies had main characters of color.

This argument is stupid.

• Like 3

I saw people of color during the ballroom scenes too and remember thinking that Tumblr didn't even get their bitching right.I think one place a prominent character could have been of color was Kristoff as the Sami race of Norway are not very blond or overtly Caucasian looking. But that's a minor complaint as we don't even know if Kristoff is truly Sami. He just seemed to be an orphan who used to hang around with the ice-sellers until being adopted by the trolls.

• Like 2

Oh, fucking hell, people. At least try not to fall to lazy, racist arguments.

1) There was never a period of time in European history when it was all white. This is fact. You can go back to prehistoric times and you will still find non-white people.

2) Andersen lived in the 1800s. He wrote his stories in the 1800s. If you think for a moment that Denmark of the time was lily white, you are really, really clueless.

3) Throwing out a few background characters of color (who have no names and don't even speak) is hardly giving fair representation.

4) Of the four main characters, they could have easily made Kristoff a POC, considering the Sami people were not especially white well into the 1800s. (I've not done a ton of research on it, but it looks as if there were concerted efforts to force them to assimilate, which is pretty horrific to think about. Thus over time they began to look closer to the rest of the Scandinavian population.)

4a) Disney could have been forgiven for getting the look of the Sami wrong, but they could have done better research in that regard.

5) All of this completely ignores the fact that historical accuracy is hardly necessary for a fantasy musical about a woman with ice powers and involves a singing snowman. And an exploding sled.

6) Note that all of this is criticism which indicates they could have done better, not that they did a bad job.

7) It's cool to like things that are problematic, but it's better to understand why they are problematic, despite liking them.

8) To get back on topic, one thing really cool about BH6 is a distinctly multi-ethnic cast. Kudos to Disney for that.

Edited by DamienRoc

Oh, fucking hell, people. At least try not to fall to lazy, racist arguments.

1) There was never a period of time in European history when it was all white. This is fact. You can go back to prehistoric times and you will still find non-white people.

2) Andersen lived in the 1800s. He wrote his stories in the 1800s. If you think for a moment that Denmark of the time was lily white, you are really, really clueless.

3) Throwing out a few background characters of color (who have no names and don't even speak) is hardly giving fair representation.

4) Of the four main characters, they could have easily made Kristoff a POC, considering the Sami people were not especially white well into the 1800s. (I've not done a ton of research on it, but it looks as if there were concerted efforts to force them to assimilate, which is pretty horrific to think about. Thus over time they began to look closer to the rest of the Scandinavian population.)

4a) Disney could have been forgiven for getting the look of the Sami wrong, but they could have done better research in that regard.

5) All of this completely ignores the fact that historical accuracy is hardly necessary for a fantasy musical about a woman with ice powers and involves a singing snowman. And an exploding sled.

6) Note that all of this is criticism which indicates they could have done better, not that they did a bad job.

7) It's cool to like things that are problematic, but it's better to understand why they are problematic, despite liking them.

8) To get back on topic, one thing really cool about BH6 is a distinctly multi-ethnic cast. Kudos to Disney for that.

this is entirely your opinion though. Obviously most people don't care that a main character was not a "POC" . I certainly see no furor about this anywhere. 

Edited by John Marston

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Who cares if Frozen has an all white cast or if it were an all black or an all Asian cast?

I'd bet the same people who complain it's too white, wouldn't even watch the movie if it was all Asian.

Anyway it's BO success showed that no one cared because its themes transcended the race.

If we're gonna point out problems in movies, we should take a stand against the whole white man is the saviour hero of minorities/women/etc. That seems worthier of being offended, as though none can take care of themselves without the white man.

• Like 2

I haven't seen this around here

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/13/big-hero-6-character-reveal-exclusive/12535005/

and I've already seen the "but they changed their ethnicity!!!!!!11111" complaints around.

I'm starting to like Go go Tomago's design, the only thing left for me to judge is her voice (I hope its deep and not too girly). I hope she's badass on the movie. 

Does Hiro have any love interest in the original source?

Edited by phantom

I'm starting to like Go go Tomago's design, the only thing left for me to judge is her voice (I hope its deep and not too girly). I hope she's badass on the movie. 

Does Hiro have any love interest in the original source?

Gogo voice actress appeared in Once upon a Time as Mulan, as far as I remember her voice isn't  too girly, but it might change for the movie (I doubt it).

Acording to wikipedia Hiro has a crush on Honey Lemon in the comic.

Gogo voice actress appeared in Once upon a Time as Mulan, as far as I remember her voice isn't  too girly, but it might change for the movie (I doubt it).

Acording to wikipedia Hiro has a crush on Honey Lemon in the comic.

Oh thank goodness. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be no cheesy love triangle between Hiro, Gogo and Honey, please. I want Gogo to just be the "I don't give a damn" kind of character.

Feminist people will have a roar if both the girl characters ended up like an accessory and have this lovey-dovey moments with Hiro. Though LGBT community will give this movie good reception if one of the girls will not end up with anyone or interest on guys (like how they supported Elsa).

Edited by phantom

Meet the Cast

Hiro Hamada - Ryan Potter
Baymax - Scott Adsit
Fred - T.J. Miller
Go Go Tomago - Jaime Chung
Wasabi - Damon Wayans Jr.
Honey Lemon - Genesis Rodriguez
Aunt Cass - Maya Rudolph
Professor Callaghan - James Cromwell
Aistair Krei - Alan Tudyk
Tadashi Hamada - Daniel Henney

Posted Image

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

Oh thank goodness. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be no cheesy love triangle between Hiro, Gogo and Honey, please. I want Gogo to just be the "I don't give a damn" kind of character.Feminist people will have a roar if both the girl characters ended up like an accessory and have this lovey-dovey moments with Hiro. Though LGBT community will give this movie good reception if one of the girls will not end up with anyone or interest on guys (like how they supported Elsa).

You should do like me,don't care about feminist,LGBT,race-based groups...critics.They can kill the pleasure brought by a great movie if you do :) Their opinion on the subject has no importance given they're small minorities.Before coming here yesterday I had no idea about what they thought and it was great,people don't care as well,so ignore them :)

Oh thank goodness. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be no cheesy love triangle between Hiro, Gogo and Honey, please. I want Gogo to just be the "I don't give a damn" kind of character.Feminist people will have a roar if both the girl characters ended up like an accessory and have this lovey-dovey moments with Hiro. Though LGBT community will give this movie good reception if one of the girls will not end up with anyone or interest on guys (like how they supported Elsa).

If they are faithful to the comics then you will love the girls. Gogo not just does NOT have a crush on Hiro, she is also kind of annoyed of having that pipsqueak as the BH6 leader. She also can't stand Honey Lemon as she thinks the ditzy blonde act is fake and a means of attracting boys. When in fact she couldn't be further from the truth as Honey is naturally like that and Hiro's crush on her is completely unrequited.

If they are faithful to the comics then you will love the girls. Gogo not just does NOT have a crush on Hiro, she is also kind of annoyed of having that pipsqueak as the BH6 leader. She also can't stand Honey Lemon as she thinks the ditzy blonde act is fake and a means of attracting boys. When in fact she couldn't be further from the truth as Honey is naturally like that and Hiro's crush on her is completely unrequited.

Hmmm... I'd like to go in as blind as possible.

Hopefully they change stuff up then. Not that I want them fighting over him or anything, but hopefully not everything is similar to the comics. Essence is important but otherwise anything goes.

Also I'd like it to be Disney's and not Marvel's work. It'd be weird if it is a success though then both it and WIR could get sequels. So really unlike Disney, but this is a new age for them. I don't want a Pixar or Dreamworks like stuffing, but something like Big Hero 6 could make a good franchise. Maybe it is time to break away from their "classics" list, after all, 90% of them are not classics anyway.

Edited by BK007
  • Like 1

At least try not to fall to lazy, racist arguments.

I hope this does not refer (also) to my post. A historically accurate depiction of people of colour in Denmark in the times Frozen is set (same time as the composition of the tale,19th century, judging from the dresses used) would have entailed characters in lowly and degrading roles. Even if we include Sami among people of colour (I seem to understand that in English, unlike my language, "people of colour" means non-white rather than black) the argument would still hold. Sami were being exhibited in human zoos in Scandinavia in the nineteenth century.Of course, if we do not cling to historical accuracy (given the fantastical elements), then that's a completely different story.Edit: Back to topic, the character designs are wonderful. Edited by Hilderic
  • Like 1

4) Of the four main characters, they could have easily made Kristoff a POC, considering the Sami people were not especially white well into the 1800s. (I've not done a ton of research on it, but it looks as if there were concerted efforts to force them to assimilate, which is pretty horrific to think about. Thus over time they began to look closer to the rest of the Scandinavian population.)4a) Disney could have been forgiven for getting the look of the Sami wrong, but they could have done better research in that regard.

Except that Disney never claimed Kristoff to be of Sami descent. Also, if he were a POC, I'd guarantee that the bitching would've turned to how the only prominent character of color "always ended up sorta smelly", "only tinkles in the woods", has an unorthodox relationship with his reindeer and a whole bunch of other flaws that needed a full song to be expressed! Oh, and is abandoned by his real family and then raised by trolls.I... can see why Disney chose not to go in that direction. Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1