Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Yes, it's a super-team origin story, but one told with wit, style and human feeling.

:wub:

Also, it's already off to 100% on RT.

Snoopy, it'll be lucky to get a handful when competing with Interstellar for screens.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

I'd be shocked if this did less than Wreck It Ralph.

As would I for fairly obvious reasons I've already given, although this hasn't stopped some from predicting that it will gross less, as they did with Frozen last year. I'd be surprised if Big Hero 6 doesn't blow past Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled domestically, whether or not it is a better movie.

• Like 1

As would I for fairly obvious reasons I've already given, although this hasn't stopped some from predicting that it will gross less, as they did with Frozen last year. I'd be surprised if Big Hero 6 doesn't blow past Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled domestically, whether or not it is a better movie.

Disney expected Frozen to flop, and they told the people working on the movie to not ‘feel too bad’ if it wasn’t a hit

http://gailsimone.tumblr.com/post/93023863285/about-frozen

• Like 1

Disney expected Frozen to flop, and they told the people working on the movie to not ‘feel too bad’ if it wasn’t a hit

http://gailsimone.tumblr.com/post/93023863285/about-frozen

Yes, I've read other accounts that would seem to indicate this as well. The people working on Frozen (with some exceptions I'm sure) believed in it both from a quality and a box office standpoint, its directors and John Lasseter believed in it, and Bob Iger personally loved the movie, but Disney's marketing division seems to have been convinced that the movie could well flop, and therefore were unwilling to throw much good money after bad by promoting it and developing merchandise for it any more than they did. This was not true in all markets, as Disney Japan apparently screened the movie for themselves, uttered in hushed, awed tones something to the effect of "OMG this is gonna be huge," and then hyped the movie like crazy over there for nine months before and for several additional months after its release, but in the domestic market Disney relied on deception (it's about a living snowman and a reindeer...well, OK, there are girls in it but it's a comedy-adventure--yeah, that's it [actually, it's neither]! :rolleyes:) and then relatively speaking left the movie to fend for itself.

This is not the case with Big Hero 6, which is apparently being viewed by Disney's domestic marketing division as an easier sell and a more likely blockbuster--this is exactly the kind of movie that they would love for WDAS to make. Of course they've probably changed their minds about princess musicals by now because, as we all know, money talks.

EDIT: Concerning the latter, WDAS themselves had needed some convincing with regard to the commercial viability of the Disney princess musical. Lasseter loves this sort of movie, but The Princess and the Frog was a bad sign that gave him doubts about Tangled, which the latter promptly reversed, resulting in him giving the green light to Frozen. Marketing, however, still weren't believers, and probably credited Tangled's success to their deceptive marketing campaign. Having already dodged that bullet, they weren't looking forward to selling Frozen, and when they screened it and saw TWO princesses, even more songs, and a scumbag prince, they probably felt like crawling under a rock...or hitting somebody at WDAS with a rock, possibly. ;) They were tactful when they let the directors know how they were going to market the movie, and from what I've heard the directors were frustrated and upset by their plan, but really had no say in the matter. Tangled's business wasn't enough to sway their thinking, and I still wonder whether Frozen's was.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2