Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I'd argue this movie was more entertaining than How To Train Your Dragon 2 + it was better shot (cinematography: The Japanese/US culture mix was really, really good looking. Might be just me having a thing for Japanese culture, though). The only thing How To Train Your Dragon 2 leads in is the story itself as it wasn't too predictable, unlike Big Hero 6.

• Like 3

I'd argue this movie was more entertaining than How To Train Your Dragon 2 + it was better shot (cinematography: The Japanese/US culture mix was really, really good looking. Might be just me having a thing for Japanese culture, though). The only thing How To Train Your Dragon 2 leads in is the story itself as it wasn't too predictable, unlike Big Hero 6.

I agree about the predictability, although to be honest HTTYD 2 was unpredictable in ways that I feel are a bit forced and came out of nowhere. Big Hero 6's story feels more solid despite its predictability and a couple of plot holes of the kind that one could expect from a superhero story (not a blanket excuse, although many can overlook them with suspension of disbelief); for that matter, I think it holds up better in this regard than The Incredibles, which I talked about earlier in this thread (most people don't see the fundamental flaw in the latter, but it's a doozy!).

Out of the American animated features this year, BH6 and HTTYD 2 are still my favorites. I liked BH6 a bit more overall, but I'd take either by a long way over The Lego Movie and the others. It'll be interesting to see which of the two, assuming that they are the front-runners, will take home the Best Animated Feature Oscar (not because it really means anything, but out of curiosity). HTTYD 2 would seem to have the best chance given the awards it has won to date, but then again the Oscar (AMPAS) voters don't always play along. For example, Wreck-It Ralph won both the Annie and Critics' Choice awards for Best Animated Feature, but lost the Oscar to Brave. Granted, Brave won the Golden Globe as did HTTYD 2, but the latter wasn't even nominated for the BAFTA and The Lego Movie wasn't even nominated for the Oscar, so as far as I'm concerned anything can happen and I wouldn't count BH6 out yet, especially for the Oscar.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Visual Effects Society Awards are currently going on. Big Hero 6 has won 4 awards so far (with 1 more still possible)

http://deadline.com/2015/02/ves-awards-winners-2015-visual-effects-society-award-winner-list-1201366460/#

Update: Big Hero 6 won all five awards for which it was nominated, while all of the other animated features were shut out:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/big-hero-6-sweeps-at-the-13th-annual-ves-awards-108628.html

• Like 4

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week - 27 Big Hero 6 BV $694,000 +100.4% 317 +61 $2,189 $219,286,000 $165 15

Random theater count increase before the video release in 9 days? Disney REALLY wants that 220m DOM I guess... :P

It probably hit the dollar theaters.

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week - 27 Big Hero 6 BV $694,000 +100.4% 317 +61 $2,189 $219,286,000 $165 15

Random theater count increase before the video release in 9 days? Disney REALLY wants that 220m DOM I guess... :P

Dang it, they should have done the same with Frozen.:P

You mean like this?  ;)

Apr 11–13 17 $385,006 -3.7% 344 +23 $1,119 $399,445,248 21

That wasn't dollar theaters, that was the singalong.

Disney wouldn't even have needed to do that to get the movie to 400m if they didn't have that ridiculously short 16 week window between the movie's release and the video release. Frozen would have easily hit 400m instead of crawling over it if the video release had been one or two months later. Stupid Disney. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The backlash for this one has hit me hardcore. Don’t understand why it’s so loved and really hope it doesn’t win the Oscar.

Chill, man.  ;)

In my point of view (I'm not an obsesses fan or a hater of it) I think people like either Baymax or Tadashi. But whichever get the Oscar, it won't matter for me because honestly I didn't like any of the major animated films last 2014, which was a bummer as I was wishing to love BH6 before it came out, but I didn't.

• Like 1

The backlash for this one has hit me hardcore. Don’t understand why it’s so loved and really hope it doesn’t win the Oscar.

What blacklash? There doesn't seem to be strong feelings for OR against BH6. This has become one of the quietest 200m grossing movies ever. :ph34r:

That wasn't dollar theaters, that was the singalong.

Disney wouldn't even have needed to do that to get the movie to 400m if they didn't have that ridiculously short 16 week window between the movie's release and the video release. Frozen would have easily hit 400m instead of crawling over it if the video release had been one or two months later. Stupid Disney. :rolleyes:

Let it go..

tumblr_nk13k8VsDj1u4epcto1_1280.png

• Like 3