Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I think some reviewer didn't actually watch the movie:

In a unique take on the ordinary citizen who turns into a superhero, Big Hero 6 ads a different twist to an old plot. When trouble strikes, Hiro Hamada becomes Baymax. Who is Baymax, you might ask? He is a giant supersized inflatable robot. Parental Guide to the movies bets that you never saw that one coming. In his life as a supersized inflatable robot, Baymax, he must bring together a bunch of tech saavy kids to fight an evil villain. 

Yup. Hiro turns into Baymax in this movie.
Edited by Sal
  • Like 3

Just saw BH6 for the 2nd time. Still laughed a lot and cried a lot. Now I'm sure it's my favorite movie of the year. I just can't stop thinking about it, I don't know why. Literally everybody I know who has already seen it said it was amazing. Some theaters here even added screens for it. Last week Interstellar had more screens than BH6, this week BH6 has more. I think its WOM is the strongest for any movie this year. I hope it's the same in the US too. And other countries.

Will BH6's second weekend be over or under WIR's second weekend? :ph34r:

Easily over, if it follows Madagascar 2, which was released on the exact same date as BH6, so it's comparable, at least the drops for the weekend.

• Like 5

I think some reviewer didn't actually watch the movie:

In a unique take on the ordinary citizen who turns into a superhero, Big Hero 6 ads a different twist to an old plot. When trouble strikes, Hiro Hamada becomes Baymax. Who is Baymax, you might ask? He is a giant supersized inflatable robot. Parental Guide to the movies bets that you never saw that one coming. In his life as a supersized inflatable robot, Baymax, he must bring together a bunch of tech saavy kids to fight an evil villain. 

Yup. Hiro turns into Baymax in this movie.

:rofl:

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 1

Just saw BH6 for the 2nd time. Still laughed a lot and cried a lot. Now I'm sure it's my favorite movie of the year. I just can't stop thinking about it, I don't know why. Literally everybody I know who has already seen it said it was amazing.

Frozen had a similar effect on some people last year, on a larger scale. Big Hero 6's WOM would seem to be fantastic, and I daresay of the kind that tends to give movies strong legs at the box office (the ads, while effective, do not do it justice). Only time will tell, though, because while some movies get their legs very quickly, others need some time to get going--even Frozen's legs took a good couple of weeks to kick in (if expectations had been higher, this would have been agonizing).

I think its WOM is the strongest for any movie this year. I hope it's the same in the US too. And other countries.

It sure seems to be. If this movie ends up not having strong legs, then I'd be very surprised.

Easily over, if it follows Madagascar 2, which was released on the exact same date as BH6, so it's comparable, at least the drops for the weekend.

Well, Madagascar 2 had some very bad drops and very poor legs overall for an animated feature in the DOM market (even a sequel), so I hope that this won't be the best point of comparison (except for absolute numbers this weekend, by coincidence, if that's all you meant). Animated features that are released in early November and are well received by audiences should have fairly low second-weekend drops (Wreck-It Ralph managed a -32.7%, which is on target). If Big Hero 6 has a much larger drop, then something went wrong, and we can only hope that its legs will kick in a little later. :unsure: But we shouldn't worry about that until it happens (IF it happens).

Maybe it's just what I've happened to observe, but it seems that one of the movie's main limiting factors is that it's not attracting adults (apart from the ones taking their children) like we're used to seeing with successful WDAS animated features. The GA seems to view it as truly a kid's movie, as do many critics who have often stated this repeatedly. It's doing very well overall, considering, but it could do better if its WOM will be able to attract more adults to make it more of a four-quadrant movie than it apparently is now.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Well, Madagascar 2 had some very bad drops and very poor legs overall for an animated feature in the DOM market (even a sequel), so I hope that this won't be the best point of comparison (except for absolute numbers this weekend, by coincidence, if that's all you meant). Animated features that are released in early November and are well received by audiences should have fairly low second-weekend drops (Wreck-It Ralph managed a -32.7%, which is on target). If Big Hero 6 has a much larger drop, then something went wrong, and we can only hope that its legs will kick in a little later. :unsure: But we shouldn't worry about that until it happens (IF it happens).

The best comparison for BH6 will always be WiR. Both are original animated movies with great reviews that opened on the first Friday of November.

I mentioned Madagascar 2 because it opened on the exact same date, so the holidays for both movies fall on the same day, hence it's easy to compare them daily. Especially this week with Veterans Day, and this weekend with BH6's number looking very close to Mad 2's 2nd weekend. Meanwhile, WIR 2nd weekend was helped by Veterans Day falling on Sunday in 2012, so it had a softer drop. That's why I don't think WIR is the best comparison for this week. But, for overall legs, yeah WIR is the best one since it's also a well-reviewed WDAS movie released in early November, and allegedly a boy-centric movie.

• Like 2

I mentioned Madagascar 2 because it opened on the exact same date, so the holidays for both movies fall on the same day, hence it's easy to compare them daily. Especially this week with Veterans Day, and this weekend with BH6's number looking very close to Mad 2's 2nd weekend. Meanwhile, WIR 2nd weekend was helped by Veterans Day falling on Sunday in 2012, so it had a softer drop. That's why I don't think WIR is the best comparison for this week. But, for overall legs, yeah WIR is the best one since it's also a well-reviewed WDAS movie released in early November, and allegedly a boy-centric movie.

This. BH6 is looking to have great legs compared to Madagascar, but is falling behind Ralph's legs. But as you said Ralph had veterans day to help its 2nd weekend. This probably means that WIR's 3.85 multiplier is too much to be reached given the release timings and competition (Ralph also had election day as holiday to boost it). Or it's probably too early to tell.

BIG HERO 6 OW : $4.8m

Best start for a Disney movie

Mexico :

Tangled OW : $3m (total : $14.1m)

Wreck-it Ralph OW : $3.9m ($14.2m)

Frozen : ? ($25m)

Big Hero 6 : $4.8m

It's great for BH6, $20m is reachable, $15m-20m is the target.Promising prospects in Latin America.

• Like 2

This. BH6 is looking to have great legs compared to Madagascar, but is falling behind Ralph's legs. But as you said Ralph had veterans day to help its 2nd weekend. This probably means that WIR's 3.85 multiplier is too much to be reached given the release timings and competition (Ralph also had election day as holiday to boost it). Or it's probably too early to tell.

It's too early to tell--some movies that end up having strong legs show them on the second weekend while others take another week or two; the converse is also true, as some movies have appeared to have fantastic legs based on their second weekend but then faded afterward. For example, The Lego Movie dropped only 27.8% on its second weekend, despite opening big (even led some to prematurely speculate that it could challenge Frozen), but had much bigger drops on subsequent weekends, while Up had almost the same opening and a bigger second-weekend drop, but then had smaller drops on subsequent weekends as WOM apparently began to kick in (not that The Lego Movie didn't have good WOM, but in hindsight it was more front-loaded and not all types of WOM result in strong legs). And Frozen, which opened comparably, had a huge second-weekend drop of 53.1% (normal for a Thanksgiving release, but still) and its WOM apparently took a week longer to kick in than Up's, but as we all know it did pretty well after that.

For now, suffice to say that nothing disastrous has happened, and there are some nice positives like opening bigger than any other WDAS movie aside from Frozen and opening at #1 over the much-hyped Interstellar.

• Like 2

Wasn't The Lego Movie's second weekend President's Day weekend? I'm assuming the drop was good partly to the holiday weekend and competition wasn't exactly strong either with Robocop, Endless Love and the second weekend of Monuments Men. 

I wouldn't worry too much about BH6, it's doing fine, really the only thing is has to worry about is Penguins of Madagascar breaking out. If it can hold its own against that, then it'll can chug along to $200m+

Wasn't The Lego Movie's second weekend President's Day weekend? I'm assuming the drop was good partly to the holiday weekend and competition wasn't exactly strong either with Robocop, Endless Love and the second weekend of Monuments Men.

I wouldn't worry too much about BH6, it's doing fine, really the only thing is has to worry about is Penguins of Madagascar breaking out. If it can hold its own against that, then it'll can chug along to $200m+

Yup it had the benefit of Presidents Day. As for bh6 legs, can't say much even by its second weekend. It's pretty much within the expected range. Real legs/WOM should be evident soon enough. But yeah thinking 210ish right now if it follows WiR now on but still think it can do 220+

Wasn't The Lego Movie's second weekend President's Day weekend?

Yes, but I only counted Friday-Sunday:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=lego.htm

It would presumably have helped some on Sunday and maybe even a little on Friday and Saturday, but on the same token Wreck-It Ralph's second weekend was on Veterans Day with Monday being observed as well, yet people are still directly comparing it (Friday-Sunday) to Big Hero 6's non-holiday second weekend; additionally, Veterans Day this year burned off some demand from Big Hero 6's second weekend, while bolstering Wreck-It Ralph's numbers two years ago.

Also note that Frozen opened on Thanksgiving weekend on Wednesday, and that this would have the opposite effect, if anything, with Wednesday-Thursday burning off some weekend demand from Friday-Sunday, thereby making its second-weekend drop smaller than it would otherwise have been, but it was still a whopping 53.1%.

These comparisons aren't perfect, but I do think that they illustrate the point I'm trying to make about it being too early to judge the strength of Big Hero 6's legs (or any movie's on its second weekend).

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 4

Yes, but I only counted Friday-Sunday:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=lego.htm

It would presumably have helped some on Sunday and maybe even a little on Friday and Saturday, but on the same token Wreck-It Ralph's second weekend was on Veterans Day with Monday being observed as well, yet people are still directly comparing it (Friday-Sunday) to Big Hero 6's non-holiday second weekend; additionally, Veterans Day this year burned off some demand from Big Hero 6's second weekend, while bolstering Wreck-It Ralph's numbers.

Also note that Frozen opened on Thanksgiving weekend on Wednesday, and that this would have the opposite effect, if anything, with Wednesday-Thursday burning off some weekend demand from Friday-Sunday, thereby making its second-weekend drop smaller than it would otherwise have been, but it was still a whopping 53.1%.

These comparisons aren't perfect, but I do think that they illustrate the point I'm trying to make about it being too early to judge the strength of Big Hero 6's legs (or any movie's on its second weekend).

Wow Melvin! You really put a lot of thought into this, and clearly you know your stuff, I am starting to really respect your opinions :)
  • Like 1

I don't know with you guys, but I couldn't feel BH6's WOM at the moment. No one from the people I know are buzzing over this movie unlike Frozen last year. This movie is as obscure as Wreck-it Ralph back in 2012 (well luckily with WIR, they released a game app which kids I know did play a lot of times). Hopefully by Thanksgiving and Christmas, the movie would gain its momentum. But I'm lowering my expectations now.

I don't know with you guys, but I couldn't feel BH6's WOM at the moment. No one from the people I know are buzzing over this movie unlike Frozen last year. This movie is as obscure as Wreck-it Ralph back in 2012 (well luckily with WIR, they released a game app which kids I know did play a lot of times). Hopefully by Thanksgiving and Christmas, the movie would gain its momentum. But I'm lowering my expectations now.

This was never going to be Frozen 2. It will do How To Train Your Dragon numbers, which is GREAT for a non-princess Disney animation!

Eh, the movie has been capitalizing on its WOM since its release. I've heard nothing but praises for the movie. I just don't know why it isn't really translating that much on the box office as of now,

• Like 1

Maybe it's a slow burner. If I remember correctly, Frozen's crazy legs didn't start until its 3rd weekend. Well, its 2nd weekend drop was great considering it was post-thanksgiving, but not really that exceptional. Maybe it's the same with BH6, or at least that's what I'm hoping. Too bad my country is not a big market in terms of box office, because the WOM here is amazing.

• Like 2