Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Disney Animation?

What were their last few movies? Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Bolt? I'm probably forgetting a few. That's a pretty reasonable group of movies

Frankenweenie and Winnie The Pooh. That's an excellent group of movies.

Edited by Floppit Floppeeeddd
  • Like 1

We were doing a pretty dark story arc with the Alpha Flight characters -- lot of intrigue and conspiracy theory and stuff like that. Duncan and I were co-creating the book at the time and we would just meet and talk about what would be fun. We literally thought it would be great to just do the antithesis, which does seem like a super-happy, no-rules-apply super team. We wanted them to be Asian so we could tap into that pop culture idiom and play with all that stuff. We made them up purely out of this idea of fun and wish fulfillment. That's how we came up with Hiro and his sidekick BayMax and built the team around them.

The interesting thing about [big Hero 6's] genesis is we did the one issue of "Alpha Flight" and immediately Marvel management said, "We want to put these guys in a series right away." Unfortunately, because Duncan and I were so busy on other books, we said, "We'd love to, but we can't do it for a few months." They were like, "No, it has to happen immediately." So we gave our notes to Scott Lobdell and said, "This is what we were going to do with it, good luck." He ran with it and did that stuff and some other stuff. I feel like Duncan and I never actually, aside from the one issue, got to play with them in the way we wanted to. So you know, never say never [as far as a return to Marvel for a new series]. We're very busy with other stuff, but definitely we had more to say about them and it would be fun at some point to do that, maybe.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45407

• Like 1

I read the comic book series by Claremont out of curiosity. It's pretty light and looks to be better suited for an animated movie. And hopefully DA can remain on track for this. They've been gaining traction lately and Frozen will be another good indication if the studio is on a roll.

• Like 1

The idea actually came from Don Hall, the director, who is a huge Marvel fan and obviously a big nerd if he remembers Big Hero 6. Don came to us with suggestions for maybe six of our lesser known properties, and we started working with him on some ideas for how these could be approached as Disney animated movies. Don took three of those possibilities to John Lasseter, and John really gravitated to the story that we spitballed on "Big Hero 6." That's how it came to be, and it's been really fun.

Well, I think the x-factor was that when we started reimagining Big Hero 6 with Don and his crew, there was a story there of two brothers. I think it was a boy and his robot kind of thing that makes it very Disney in the traditional sense. But the beauty of this is that Don is a real Marvel fan, and he's embraced the visual history of Marvel. I think we've gone and lectured to the animators over there about what Marvel is and how we look at visual dynamics in our comics -- everything from Jack Kirby to John Romita Sr. to John Romita Jr. So there's a lot of Marvel influence in this, which is really cool. It's going to be an amazing blend of what Disney does in animation and what Marvel does in the action adventure genre.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45418

• Like 1

These guys created Ben 10 (over at WB now), could DIS get their hands on Ben 10?

I don't watch B10, but I hope not. Disney already has enough. WB/ Cartoon Network has been doing just fine with it, no need to give it away.

Still an awful sounding movie title for marketing purposes.

Yeah it would be for a live action SH movie but for an animated film, its not too bad. The Croods was a pretty awful title IMo and look how that turned out. And in the end its still about the movie.

Still an awful sounding movie title for marketing purposes.

To each his/her own. Personally, I find it awesome as it perfectly manages to capture the fun and adventurous tone of the series. Animated movies have had far more awful titles like The Croods, Tangled (ugh, takes the cake in ugliness) and even upcoming "Frozen" is so <_< sounding. 

Edited by Spidey Freak

It's far more of an attention-getting name than something like Frozen.

Or the worst name ever: Rise Of The Guardians.

So true about Guardians. Till date, some people I know think I am talking about the Owls movie whenever I mention it. That is the folly of generic sounding big movies. Big Hero 6 stands out instantaneously. Heck, it was the ridiculously fun sounding title which got me to look into the characters and their appearances in comics, when I first came across them in a Spider-Man crossover event.

The lead character, Hiro Hamada, is joined by Wasabi No Ginger, Honey Lemon, Fred, and Baymax, who are trying to stop Hiro’s invention, called “swarm microbots” which fall into the wrong hands. One of the key plot elements is that Hiro’s brother was killed in a mysterious accident.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-spoilers-details-on-a-number-of-disney-and-marvel-projects-including-captain-america-2-cinderella-the-good-dinosaur-and-more#sthash.aItW2WIR.dpuf
Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Wait, that's just five. Who's the sixth member? As they don't have the rights to Silver Samurai and Sunfire, hopefully it's GoGo Tomago. But they may not use her if they feel her powers are too similar to Quicksilver in TA2. Which would be sad.