diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Very fascinated about how this works out. I know Nolan is extremely popular in South Korea, but the material isn't the most familiar or friendly to audiences I imagine so wonder how it does.

24 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Not bad for Dunkirk?

Decent. Looks like it may open close to dawn for the planet of the apes. 

24 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Does Baby Driver have a release date in South Korea, @Rsyu

No not yet I'm afraid 

22 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

22 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

Decent. Looks like it may open close to dawn for the planet of the apes. 

No not yet I'm afraid 

Would it ever release in that country? If not, I don't understand why they wouldn't because these type of films would do so well there. After all, it's one of the best movies of the year.

6 hours ago, BenedictL11 said:

Would it ever release in that country? If not, I don't understand why they wouldn't because these type of films would do so well there. After all, it's one of the best movies of the year.

Hard to say without knowing if it's being blocked for some unspecified reason, or just in the pipeline waiting to be released. I saw an article the other day, stating that Korean films were doing poorly this year, 7 of the top 10 most attended films of the year being foreign releases. It seems silly, but this is probably a legitimate concern for those who regulate the film business in Korea so it might be they're waiting to see how the local releases fare during the summer before deciding a release date for Baby Driver. I know they do have a small scale screening planned in the month of September, so if that gets a good reception, it could also help get the ball moving. 

12 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

Hard to say without knowing if it's being blocked for some unspecified reason, or just in the pipeline waiting to be released. I saw an article the other day, stating that Korean films were doing poorly this year, 7 of the top 10 most attended films of the year being foreign releases. It seems silly, but this is probably a legitimate concern for those who regulate the film business in Korea so it might be they're waiting to see how the local releases fare during the summer before deciding a release date for Baby Driver. I know they do have a small scale screening planned in the month of September, so if that gets a good reception, it could also help get the ball moving. 

That's understandable. Asia countries including China and Japan have approved to release this wonderful movie.

Christopher Nolan films ratings (/10.0)

01. 9.32 The Dark Knight

02. 9.21 Inception

03. 9.09 Interstellar

04. 9.01 The Dark Knight Rises 

05. 8.88 Batman Begins

06. 8.82 Memento

07. 8.53 The Prestige

08. 8.23 Dunkirk

09. 7.97 Insomnia

Currently, Dunkirk is the 2nd lowest rated film from his filmography. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rsyu said:

Christopher Nolan films ratings (/10.0)

01. 9.32 The Dark Knight

02. 9.21 Inception

03. 9.09 Interstellar

04. 9.01 The Dark Knight Rises 

05. 8.88 Batman Begins

06. 8.82 Memento

07. 8.53 The Prestige

08. 8.23 Dunkirk

09. 7.97 Insomnia

Currently, Dunkirk is the 2nd lowest rated film from his filmography. 

As I expected after seeing early reactions on forums like this one and now after seeing it myself, I definitely believe it will be very divisive. Nolan has gigantic balls to make this movie and I am very surprised WB allowed him to do this production on a budget of $150m plus $100m marketing. This movie is definitely experimental and impressionist, just like the critics are describing. I am very surprised that the critical reception was not much more divided. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

As I expected after seeing early reactions on forums like this one and now after seeing it myself, I definitely believe it will be very divisive. Nolan has gigantic balls to make this movie and I am very surprised WB allowed him to do this production on a budget of $150m plus $100m marketing. This movie is definitely experimental and expressionist, just like the critics are describing. I am very surprised that the critical reception was not much more divided. 

Interested to know how you rated it? I think Nolan has earned the right to make these kind of films, he makes you come out of the cinema thinking you experienced something new and special and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that way. 

8 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

Interested to know how you rated it? I think Nolan has earned the right to make these kind of films, he makes you come out of the cinema thinking you experienced something new and special and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that way. 

Enjoyed it but I need more viewings. Curious to see how it plays for me with repeat viewings.

The one thing I do feel confident in saying after a single viewing. If Hoyte doesn't get an Oscar nomination this time for Cinematography, it's a huge mistake by the Academy. But what the hell, they already made that mistake in 2014 with Interstellar and even before that with Tinker Tailor. Guess we should not be surprised if he gets snubbed again, especially with this being a July release that will be long forgotten by the time of awards season.