diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

6 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Monday number SMH 251,931(-74%), good drop, playing like a family movie. Total 3.814M+.

No big releases this week, can see something like:

250-250-210-200-280-650-550

what do you think?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

250-250-210-200-280phenomenal0-550

what do you think?

Looks reasonable. Around 44% drop for the weekend. Nearly 6M admissions after Sunday, 7M would be locked and it would have a shot at 8M+ admissions, phenominal results for SMH.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

250-250-210-200-280-650-550

what do you think?

In term of gross, I'm more curious about what hollywood movie could be the 1st $100mUSD grosser since Avatar?

I dont suppose SMH could do it, but any chance for Dunkirk(given how interstellar performed here) and other Marvel's movie? 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

In term of gross, I'm more curious about what hollywood movie could be the 1st $100mUSD grosser since Avatar?

I dont suppose SMH could do it, but any chance for Dunkirk(given how interstellar performed here) and other Marvel's movie? 

You need 14M+ admissions to get there. I don't see a Marvel movie doing it. They're starting to get a bit frontloaded. For both Infinity War movies 10M admissions should be the goal like Ultron. My guess probably a new IP that could push 100M. Dunkirk presales are already in top 3, so it'll have a great OW but it's also going to need crazy WOM. Even than 14M+ admissions seems like a dream.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thought id ask this here: Has anyone seen the 2016 korean film Train to Busan? I heard only good things about it and consider buying it, but i want an opinion from here :)

It's pretty good in my opinion, probably my favorite Korean movie for that year. Thematically, it feels a bit like WWZ meets Snowpiercer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

There have only been 3 $100M grossing films in SK BO history; Roaring Currents, Avatar and ode to my father. It's not a really meaningful milestone for Korean films but it highlights how difficult it is to achieve. Add to this, it is more difficult for hollywood films and foreign releases in general to resonate across all age groups and become a 4-quad film, which it will need to be to gross $100M. Certainly I don't see any Marvel flick for the foreseeable future, resonating with the older generation in particular to gross $100M. Eventually ticket price inflation may drive the box office to a point where the goal is more achievable but it could be a while before it gets there. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, druv10 said:

You need 14M+ admissions to get there. I don't see a Marvel movie doing it. They're starting to get a bit frontloaded. For both Infinity War movies 10M admissions should be the goal like Ultron. My guess probably a new IP that could push 100M. Dunkirk presales are already in top 3, so it'll have a great OW but it's also going to need crazy WOM. Even than 14M+ admissions seems like a dream.

20 hours ago, Rsyu said:

There have only been 3 $100M grossing films in SK BO history; Roaring Currents, Avatar and ode to my father. It's not a really meaningful milestone for Korean films but it highlights how difficult it is to achieve. Add to this, it is more difficult for hollywood films and foreign releases in general to resonate across all age groups and become a 4-quad film, which it will need to be to gross $100M. Certainly I don't see any Marvel flick for the foreseeable future, resonating with the older generation in particular to gross $100M. Eventually ticket price inflation may drive the box office to a point where the goal is more achievable but it could be a while before it gets there. 

14m admission?? It would be 25% of SK population!! I think if 10m admission, but all see the film in 3D or IMAX could make that easier to achieve.....

$100m could be meaningful in the eyes of hollywood studio, I'm still remember how shocked was I when avatar break $100m in SK when $50m was already a rare case, totally mind blown!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, druv10 said:

Rsyu so far SMH has been ahead of your pace. It's looking good for over 6M by Sunday!

Since everything else rose too, I don't think it can be attributed to just Homecoming. That said, with the lack of major releases this week, would not be surprised if homecoming held better than anticipated today.

• Like 1

Actor Song Kang-ho is reuniting with Director Bong Joon-ho for the upcoming film "Parasite", the production of which is set to start in spring of next year. This will be the fourth time that they have worked together after collaborating on films "Memories of murder", "The host", and "Snowpiercer" all of which were commercial and critically acclaimed hits.

Song Kang-ho explained in an interview that he hadn't seen the script yet, Bong Joon-ho being notoriously scrupulous when it comes to detail, but was excited and interested from what he had managed to hear about it through conversations.

If it's as good as "The host" I'm totally down for this :D

• Like 1

2017 Top 10 Most Attended Films

01. 7,817,459 Confidential Assignment

02. 5,316,015 The King

03. 5,138,195 Beauty and the Beast

04. 4,738,009 Spider-Man: Homecoming*

05. 3,682,270 The Mummy

06. 3,653,238 Fast and Furious 8

07. 3,620,384 Your Name

08. 3,049,412 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales

09. 2,931,897 The Prison