Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

And don't tell me that's why Valerian has to succeed because there's no way Besson will try to get those made, he will sequel the shit out of Valerian just like SW)

No matter what you think of Besson, movies like this succeeding would be good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Nah, for any kind of risky, independent project, to get the greenlit.

Independent projects are always risky, it didn't start with Valerian and won't end with Valerian. You think that if Valerian is a break out hit, you'll see "risky independent projects" being greenlit left and right? No, you'll get Valerian rip-offs and wannabes saturating the market.

Edited by dashrendar44

Just now, CJohn said:

The Tomato Law is dead. Bury it. 

All that matters is the Super-Hero Law.

But the Tomato Law only doesn't cause an increase from tracking if reviews came out when tracking was released.

Originally tracking was at 20M, but now with the Tomato, expect 25M.

8 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

You think that if Valerian is a break out hit, you'll see "risky independent projects" being greenlit left and right?

No but it definitelly helps having positive precedents.

I wouldn't mind more sci-fi / fantasy "epics" making their way to the big screen, though. There are much too few of them. It's a joy stepping into another worlds.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

I don't know if its a duplicate, or if a person at the same website linked to the wrong review or what, but... the latest review added is from Dave Schilling at Birth.Movies.Death. It has almost the same blurb as one added by Evan Saathoff, also from Birth.Movies.Death. And the links for each review go to the same review (by Dave Schilling).

July 16, 2017
A mixed bag you either go with or don't.

July 11, 2017
Luc Besson's latest is a mixed bag you either go with or don't.

Peace,
Mike

15 minutes ago, Elessar said:

No but it definitelly helps having positive precedents.

I wouldn't mind more sci-fi / fantasy "epics" making their way to the big screen, though. There are much too few of them. It's a joy stepping into another worlds.

I stop counting how many times we've been told about the latest scifi campfest that will change the face of Hollywood forever being the "NEW STAR WARS FOLKS!" only to get burnt by boringness, mediocrity and corniness all style little to no substance since I was a teenager.

Wing Commander, Lost In Space, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, Serenity, John Carter, Elysium, Chappie, Pacific Rim, Jupiter's Ascending and countless others...They were all the Internet Chosen One...

But then forgets that an original scifi movie sits at the top of WW BO since 2010. Did that change anything?

Edited by dashrendar44

9 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I stop counting how many times we've been told about the latest scifi campfest that will change the face of Hollywood forever being the "NEW STAR WARS FOLKS!" only to get burnt by boringness, mediocrity and corniness all style little to no substance since I was a teenager.

Geez, overdramatic much?

It's not about changing Hollywood, just a little bit more love for these kind of movies (and room for big budget independent movies in general just so that filmmakers have a bit more chances for their dream projects to become reality). Of course they should be good in the first place, which i think 5th Element was. Many of those you listed were not and weren't the "internet chosen one" either. Wing Commander? Don't make me laugh...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

Why is it hard to grasp that some people actually enjoy movies like The Fifth Element and John Carter(hell, even Jupiter Ascending) and are hoping this one is another one of those? Why is it so hard to understand that those same people want more of those movies made and that's why they're hoping this one is as successful as it can be?

We just want more movies like that made. And no, we don't care how dismissive you are towards them, that's just your opinion.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Geez, overdramatic much?

It's not about changing Hollywood, just a little bit more love for these kind of movies (and room for big budget independent movies in general just so that filmmakers have a bit more chances for their dream projects to become reality). Of course they should be good in the first place, which i think 5th Element was. Many of those you listed were not and weren't the "internet chosen one" either. Wing Commander? Don't make me laugh...

Am I? When some posters here (at least one guy uh uh) are literally begging people to see this like the fate of original scifi hangs on this movie's prospects lamenting at Hollywood, i don't think I am the overdramatic one.

My bias for Valerian is obviously there, but honestly, a space epic that doesn't start with "Star" or made by some big name auteurs (Cameron, Nolan, blah blah blah) getting some love wouldn't hurt anyone or anything really.

If you don't like seeing other people liking and rooting for something that you don't because you think nothing that doesn't appeals to you should be made or be liked then I don't think the problem is the movie.

• Like 4

Just now, dashrendar44 said:

Am I? When some posters here (at least one guy uh uh) are literally begging people to see this like the fate of original scifi hangs on this movie's prospects lamenting at Hollywood, i don't think I am the overdramatic one.

@That One Guy can be a bit much, I'll give you that. He's young and passionate though and I can appreciate that.

But yeah, do forgive that 13-year-old if you can. I won't be begging you to see stuff you clearly don't appreciate.

I do think that this movie being successful will make it a bit easier for other sci-fi movies to get greenlit in the near future, but that's all.

• Like 2