Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

If a critic gives it a 3/5, or 6/10, or a B-, would that not count as a 60/100?

Also Cars 3 started with like a 35/100 or something, and The Last Knight started with a 90/100 or so.  In short: Critics Choice is useless at first.  Wait for RT.

Last Knight fell to 55/100 almost immediately. Critics Choice and RT diverge mainly on movies which are in the midrange. And 3/5 is not 60/100 on there. The site works very differently. The star rating is the 3/5 thing, the movie rating is scaled.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Last Knight fell to 55/100 almost immediately. Critics Choice and RT diverge mainly on movies which are in the midrange. And 3/5 is not 60/100 on there. The site works very differently. The star rating is the 3/5 thing, the movie rating is scaled.

Ok then, would a 35/100 be a 0/10 or so then?  Because I don't seem to recall many critics giving Cars 3 reviews that scathing.  I think I saw about three 1/5 or 1/4 ratings on RT.

Again: Early Critics Choice scores appear to be useless judging by the initial scores for TLK and Cars 3.

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Like I have been saying, big critics, trades and hardcore star wars nerds won't be kind to this movie AT ALL. 

Sub 40% RT and sub 30M domestic. Sub 100OS. Bombs away.

Europacorp is done. Luc Besson will disappear in the shadows.

For someone who supposedly hopes this will be fun, you're starting to tread perilously close to trolling. 

• Like 8

I really hope this can do well and by well I mean do Luc Besson's Fifth Element and Lucy numbers (120M). A Fifth Element adjusted for inflation gross (122M) should be the goal. 

Opening weekend: 20-25M

Domestic- 55-75M

Overseas- 200-250M

Reviews- 60-70%

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I hope this is fun, but that doesn't mean I can't say how I feel this movie will fare with critics and at box-office.

There's a world of difference between saying that and what you said -- where you basically declared this movie would force a company into bankruptcy, would cause Besson to vanish from the international filmmaking scene, and would make less domestically than something like CHAPPIE (a March release, no less). 

Do you not read what you post? It would be very easy to say something like "Unfortunately, I don't see this doing well at all. I don't think critics or audience will embrace it. I feel like it's just gonna get crushed by the other summer movies that appeal more to an American audience."

But you didn't say that. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There's a world of difference between saying that and what you said -- where you basically declared this movie would force a company into bankruptcy, would cause Besson to vanish from the international filmmaking scene, and would make less domestically than something like CHAPPIE (a March release, no less). 

Do you not read what you post? It would be very easy to say something like "Unfortunately, I don't see this doing well at all. I don't think critics or audience will embrace it. I feel like it's just gonna get crushed by the other summer movies that appeal more to an American audience."

But you didn't say that. 

awwwww....maybe you need to read my older posts where I have mentioned words like "sadly" and "unfortunately".

But yeah...I was extremely mean in that post. Side effects of a fight I guess. 

Edited by marveldcfox

15 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I hope this is fun, but that doesn't mean I can't say how I feel this movie will fare with critics and at box-office.

It does read a lot like false concern trolling, specially with how much the movie was pre-sold and out of EuropaCorp hands.

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Have you bought your ticket yet?

I'm waiting for my Cinemark to post showtimes before making my decision.

So far, it seems like I might have to drive 45 minutes to see it in the earliest possible showtime in 3D.  But a few theaters near me haven't posted tickets on the other hand, so I still have to wait for them before deciding.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I'm waiting for my Cinemark to post showtimes before making my decision.

So far, it seems like I might have to drive 45 minutes to see it in the earliest possible showtime in 3D.  But a few theaters near me haven't posted tickets on the other hand, so I still have to wait for them before deciding.

Hopefully they post them by the end of the week