Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I wish. I think it'll get a good RT score, but I think it's going to bomb anyways. It's hard to create buzz for your good science fiction movie when Nolan's latest masterpiece movie, one where the social media buzz are building it up as an event one you have to see in theaters to experience, is eating up all the attention.

Valerian can also easily be marketed as something you need to see in theaters (with the 3D angle likely being pushed in marketing).  A lot of reactions have mentioned how the 3D is great.  It's very easy to see how that will get near unanimous praise in the reviews.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, That One Guy said:

Valerian can also easily be marketed as something you need to see in theaters (with the 3D angle likely being pushed in marketing).  A lot of reactions have mentioned how the 3D is great.  It's very easy to see how that will get near unanimous praise in the reviews.

It lost IMAX because they didn't move the movie. They are opening against a major studio tentpole. Just because a movie looks great in 3D isn't enough to make it an event. Valerian could have dominated August but it's gonna get killed in July. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Well yeah, they (there's also https://twitter.com/EricDSnider/status/884487130625355777) are understandably pissed at now having 4 and a half hours to write edit and polish up a review compared to like, 9 days

i don't like his tone too.

So i was kinda right...some critics won't get to see it until next week. But hey they are lifting embargo same day as Dunkirk so they are confident. Hopefully, it isn't a false one like Xmen apocalypse.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

It lost IMAX because they didn't move the movie. They are opening against a major studio tentpole. Just because a movie looks great in 3D isn't enough to make it an event. Valerian could have dominated August but it's gonna get killed in July. 

Maybe it's not as easy to move a movie with like 100 distributors around the world...

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Maybe it's not as easy to move a movie with like 100 distributors around the world...

They moved it in other countries. They could have moved it in the US as well.

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

They moved it in other countries. They could have moved it in the US as well.

Problem is, essentially the OS distributors can do whatever the f they want with this film. Plus, the OS distributors are more experienced than STX are.

in the US/with STX it's tougher because Besson/EuropaCorp still has say. EC were originally gonna self-distribute this till SLOANE flopped. And Luc's been chatting too much shit about Nolan/Dunkirk rivalry that moving would make him weak.

Edited by antovolk