Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

But that's not about marketing, it's because Watchmen was a tough sell of a superhero drama with no recognizable characters and Terminator: Salvation fucking SUCKED. Marketing can't save bad films, or do miracles with tough sells like Watchmen.

Terminator Salvation had one hell of a marketing campaign. I am still shocked people didn't turn out to see it on OW, even if after that it would drop like a rock. The lack of Arnold clearly hurted it.This trailer alone is one of the best ever:http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=owrEMGg4x3M Edited by CJohn

Being in front of The Dark Knight Rises (which it will be) is no guarantee to success. Watchmen and Terminator: Salvation (two of WB's huge 2009 releases) were in front of The Dark Knight and neither benefited.

Yeah but T4 had No Arnold and Terminator without Arnold isn't Terminator to fans. "Watchman" was a little too dramatic and not enough action for the average comic book fan. I think MOS will benefit nicely and getting people talking about it with a teaser in front of TDKR.

Dang, TASM at 72%. Free falling! Not surprised since I predicted it would end up near to SPidey 3 but now I am beginning to wonder if RT revokes certified freshes.....

Even if it gets 60% it's still gonna be fresh.35 M Tuesday.A- CinemascoreA from under 18Have you eaten already? I can serve you something.

Yeah but T4 had No Arnold and Terminator without Arnold isn't Terminator to fans. "Watchman" was a little too dramatic and not enough action for the average comic book fan. I think MOS will benefit nicely and getting people talking about it with a teaser in front of TDKR.

Nah, Terminator without time-travel, a present day setting and an implacable, nearly indestructible killing machine chasing the main characters isn't Terminator to fans. When I heard about Terminator Salvation, I seriously couldn't figure out why this was a Terminator film. It seemed to have so little in common with the earlier ones. That, and the fact that T3 sucked so bad, is probably as big a reason as Arnold not being in it for why it bombed.As for Watchmen, I still don't understand why it was made into a film. It's a commentary on superhero comics, from their inception in the 30s to Watchmen's publication in the mid 80s, and the cold war, in the form of a superhero comic published during the cold war. And Alan Moore does things in comics, and especially Watchmen (and Promethea) that can really only be done in comics. Adapted, it becomes a commentary on superhero comics in the 80s (and earlier) and the cold war, made in 2009. It isn't a commentary on superhero movies of the 2000s, and it certainly doesn't retain the stuff that could only really be done in comic form.

Credit to Xiayun for pointing this out: http://www.hollywood...ider-man-345035

Transformers grossed $155.4 million in its six-day debut after opening on Tuesday, although it grossed $8.8 million in advance Monday night shows and a total of $13.5 million including midnight runs.

That would mean TF's day business was in fact $23.1m ($27.8m - $4.7m from midnights), and if Spider-Man were to follow a similar pattern, $35m would be in play for today again. I'm slightly wary of this, because TF3 also got $13.5m from previews+midnights, so it could be a bit of misinformation. If it isn't, though, Spider-Man's potential today (and consequently, for the rest of the week) could be a lot higher than I imagined. Edited by Biggestgeekever

Trying not to take anything away from the actual number but I don't think the Tuesday record is a big deal. If it only made $28M (a number most would have found pretty blah), every article still would have been touting the Tuesday record. Not breaking it with inflation and 3D would have been kind of embarrassing. This is why we need to follow admissions.

The spin cycle is coming in bigtime, as expected. 250M would NOT be a good total, and anything less than 30M today is a disappointment, dampened expectations or no. TASM is very likely not coming near 300M domestically and will be a box office letdown in the U.S., as anyone with half a brain should have foreseen. WOM is very mixed and TDKR will soon put it out of its misery.

Posted Image
  • Like 1

There's no way in hell I'm reading 40+ pages to catch up.First off, congrats to Spidey -- that's an excellent OD number.Now, anything interesting happen in those 40 pages? (I'm assuming iJack screamed himself hoarse in triumph and Kayu shovelled out crow by the truckload).

Edited by Telemachos