Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

• Founder / Operator

It seems the general consensus across the Internet (translation: fanboys) always points to Venom being his "arch-nemesis". But I agree with AA: as far as the general public is concerned, its probably Gobby. The advantage for Sony there, however, is that he's still not as tied into the public consciousness as The Joker or Lex Luthor are in their respective franchises. So it gives them room.Plus, Goblin could be done differently enough from Raimi's version that it would feel less like a retread and more like a rebirth.

• Like 2

Isn't it VENOM?

Posted Image

What has Venom really done to him? GG has had way more of an effect on who Spider-Man and Peter Parker is. And GG held that title for years, all the way through the Venom glory years even though he was supposedly dead. Venom was not the first villain to know Spider-man's real ID either(which is a common misconception among young people).

• Founder / Operator

I thought Lizard was crap, and I've been championing him as a villain since 2002. I'd even consider ranking Sandman above him, who at least had some cool visuals and action scenes.

Sandman was one of the redeeming parts of SM3 for me -- up until the final act, anyway. Thought Church did everything he could with him, and he's way more cinematic (in a fantastical interpretation such as Raimi's films) than the Goblins. But he wouldn't work in this new universe, I don't think. They need someone more grounded in reality and of actual substance to Peter's character, which is where I think Green Goblin would play really well.
  • Like 2

Read The Amazing Spider-Man #39 and 40, and 121 and 122, then come back and tell me Venom has had any effect even close to what occurred in those stories.Sorry if I'm ranting like an old man... :rant:

Posted Image

What has Venom really done to him? GG has had way more of an effect on who Spider-Man and Peter Parker is. And GG held that title for years, all the way through the Venom glory years even though he was supposedly dead. Venom was not the first villain to know Spider-man's real ID either(which is a common misconception among young people).

To comic book fans maybe yes, but to the general public I'm not sure.

Even if they dont use GG in the next one, they still need to introduce Norman Osborn. And Mary Jane. Considering the importance those two have to Peter and Gwen, trying to cram em into the 3rd film would make for a strong possibility of repeating the SM3 cluster fuck.

For fans it goes Green Goblin > Doc Ock > Venom. There's even a documentary on it on the SM2 DVD IIRC.

I grew up with Dr. Octopus and Hobgoblin as his main baddies, but they always alluded to GG and when I finally read the reprints of those classic issues, I forgot all about Doc Ock and Hobby. He only made a few appearances in the classic days, but nearly every one had major impact on PP/SM. As far as I'm concerned nothing touches the Late 60's and Early 70's for classic Spider-Man, Batman, Green Lantern and Captain America stories(among others).

Sandman was one of the redeeming parts of SM3 for me -- up until the final act, anyway. Thought Church did everything he could with him, and he's way more cinematic (in a fantastical interpretation such as Raimi's films) than the Goblins. But he wouldn't work in this new universe, I don't think. They need someone more grounded in reality and of actual substance to Peter's character, which is where I think Green Goblin would play really well.

I completely agree. The birth of Sandman is the definite highlight of that movie, it's a shame it never really came together. I remember Raimi and Maguire saying how much they wanted Sandman in the third one during the SM2 press junket, doubt Webb will be given that sort of freedom.

To comic book fans maybe yes, but to the general public I'm not sure.

GG setup the entire first trilogy and Osborn is still an integral part of the new series.Venom's impact in the films? Nothing. In fact it was mostly negative. He just looked like an evil version of Spider-Man, I doubt the public took him seriously at all.
  • Like 1

I grew up with Dr. Octopus and Hobgoblin as his main baddies, but they always alluded to GG and when I finally read the reprints of those classic issues, I forgot all about Doc Ock and Hobby. He only made a few appearances in the classic days, but nearly every one had major impact on PP/SM. As far as I'm concerned nothing touches the Late 60's and Early 70's for classic Spider-Man, Batman, Green Lantern and Captain America stories(among others).

I've only read the first few dozen dozen issues of TASM but I remember GG easily playing the most dominant villain. Others would come and go every ten or so issues but Gobbie had a huge reign, which considering it's a monthly series, must have lasted well over half a year.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man #39 and 40, and 121 and 122, then come back and tell me Venom has had any effect even close to what occurred in those stories.Sorry if I'm ranting like an old man... :rant:

I agree that GG has had more profound impact on PP and should be the villain in TASM2 so stop ranting like a old geezer. ;):P:ph34r:
  • Like 1

Read The Amazing Spider-Man #39 and 40, and 121 and 122, then come back and tell me Venom has had any effect even close to what occurred in those stories.

Sorry if I'm ranting like an old man... :rant:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :wub:
  • Like 1

Just for another perspective, back in 2002 I couldn't believe that GG was the main villain. Having grew up on TAS I always thought Hobgoblin came first, so it's hard to say who people think is his main villain. It's not as 100% as Joker or Loki or whoever.

GG setup the entire first trilogy and Osborn is still an integral part of the new series.Venom's impact in the films? Nothing. In fact it was mostly negative. He just looked like an evil version of Spider-Man, I doubt the public took him seriously at all.

That's why I think Venom deserves another shot.

But if Nolan can resurrect Bane and turn him into a cool villain, there's no reason why they can't bring Venom back and adapt him properly.

Don't read the following if you haven't seen the film:

In fact they have the Ultimate SM version of Venom ready to go in this series. And that origin is far superior to the original's.

• Like 1