The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I saw the movie again today, consciously trying to ignore many of the issues I had before and enjoyed it quite a bit more. Hathaway completely owns it and I'm embarrassed for doubting her.But I just cannot get over Blake's first scene with Bruce and how he knows he's Batman, just because... Really horrible stuff there.

I definitely agree that the leap of logic here is too much. It's only Blake's third scene and suddenly this is spilling out. The irony is that it's probably JGL's best acted scene in the movie. He's almost, almost good enough to sell it. But not quite. Bad case of getting a character to spell out backstory on Nolan's part there, something he let Dom Cobb do in Inception too much as well.Anyway, I'm with Gopher and others: plot hole critiques are pretty boring. And, by now, par for the course of Nolan movies. I prefer criticisms that address story structure, character arcs and stylistic choices. As RedLetterMedia says, calling out plot holes is only fun if the movie is rotten to the core in the first place, which is why he does it for the SW prequels (on top of highlighting their more fundamental problems). Edited by Hatebox

You can start here, here or here:http://www.slashfilm...k-knight-rises/http://www.nme.com/b...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1http://www.pajiba.co...y-dont-work.phpPersonally I don't care too much regarding plot holes. People say now that even BB and TDK had huge plot holes.Fact is I never realized them. When I watched those movies it was fun, I was entertained, I got something for my 13 bucks.People start to nitpick if they are disappointed in general. It's easy to attack a movies plot holes. It's much more difficult to define the underlying problems.

• Like 1

Personally I don't care too much regarding plot holes. People say now that even BB and TDK had huge plot holes.

People have been mentioning that there aren't any more plot holes in TDKR than TDK. This may well be true, but whether you notice the plot holes I think comes down to how engaged you are by the film.A film is like a spell that's been cast - if you're under it's thrall you'll go along with it, plot holes and all. Unfortunately if you're not under the spell then you start noticing things (and analyzing things like the villain's masterplan) that you otherwise wouldn't.Then you come onto a message board and mention these problems you had with the film, and people accuse you of being a nitpicker.
  • Like 1

A film is like a spell that's been cast - if you're under it's thrall you'll go along with it, plot holes and all. Unfortunately if you're not under the spell then you start noticing things (and analyzing things like the villain's masterplan) that you otherwise wouldn't.

I think that's what both sides are saying - if you're emotionally engaged by the film, supposed plot holes don't matter.

That said, I find it odd that Bruce's return to Gotham is the one many are coming back to. For someone of his ability, getting home and infiltrating his city are the least of his hardships.

Edited by Hatebox

Yeah, that a good summary. When I watched the amazing bank robbery in TDK the movie got me. From this moment on it was clear that if most stuff was as good or as intruiging as this brillant opening I would never even TRY to nitpick.When I watched TDKR yesterday I started to scratch my head maybe 5 minutes into the movie and the spell was broken.

That said, I find it odd that Bruce's return to Gotham is the one many are coming back to. For someone of his ability, getting home and infiltrating his city are the least of his hardships.

I agree. Characters do this in movies all the time (they go from point a to point b without explanation) - we don't need to see the route he took to get home. Especially when the movie's almost 3 hours long already. Edited by yads

Another "plot hole" that is often mentioned is the thing that "Bane broke Batmans back and how could he recover so fast in TDKR?"Fact is, Batmans back was only broken in the comics, the Knightfall trilogy. In the movie it wasn't broken, Batman/Bale just had a single dislocated vertebra.

• Like 1

Those are all ridiculous nitpickings from slashfilm, not plot holes.

1) Bane knew Bruce's identity as Bruce became a member of the League of Shadows. It's a gimme.

2) Blake is an orphan just like Bruce. He clearly explains in his brilliantly acted monoloue by JGL why he thought that Bruce is Batman. He saw something in Bruce's eyes that only someone like him would notice, everyone else sees Bruce as a billionare and no one expects him to be a hero. Again, how's that a plot hole?

3) You're not a medical doctor indeed, so shut the fuck up. Who said that Bruce's back was broken? They way they dragged him clearly shows that it wasn't. So healing from that injury in 5 months is realistic.

4) They complain about Caine's acting. Really? That's a plot hole? It clearly shows that the author of the article is not only a hater, but a moron. Everyone agrees that Caine was brilliant.

5) Stupid, stupid, stupid. The real world doesn't work like that. It's a process to declare fraud, Lucius even had a quote about that saying that long term it might be fixed, but for short term Bruce is broke.

6) Again, this is an idiotic statment regarding Miranda and Bruce. There were two comments earlier in the film from Alfred and Lucius basically suggesting Miranda as a GF to Bruce. They knew each other for a long time. James Bond needs 5 seconds to pick up a girl, Bruce Wayne can't do that with a woman he knew for years? Please.

7) The fire was a symbolic act to remind Gotham that Batman is back. It's a great moment.

8) Lame argument.

9) Bane had 5 months till the explosion. He left Gotham to tear itself apart, why a journey away would have been an issue at all.

10) How does Bruce gets back to Gotham? It's not a big deal from him, the agents could sneak in, surely the guy who spent years in different countries without money can deal with a situation like that. If someone wants a scene to show how Bruce got back to Gotham that person knows nothing about filomkaking. Do we really need to see how Hulk got back to NY?

11) It's Bane's prison, it's been said in the film. Pay attention.

12) Actualyl, no. Keep going with your BS.

13) Yep, they acted a bit dumb. First argument that is valid. Again, it's not a plot hole.

14) Actually no. The fight between Bane and Batman are amazing, not bloody shaky camara, we can see teh pucnhes. We can hear the punches in the first fight, no music at all.

15) The ending is plain and simple, if you don't get it, try to inject some IQ to your brain.

15 theories and only 1 valid point, which isn't a plot hole. Could someone else stand up with a plot hole, because I smell lots of BS here.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

I saw the movie again today, consciously trying to ignore many of the issues I had before and enjoyed it quite a bit more. Hathaway completely owns it and I'm embarrassed for doubting her.

But I just cannot get over Blake's first scene with Bruce and how he knows he's Batman, just because... Really horrible stuff there.

Same here.. I was such a hater... she killed it. Her delivery is so smooth....

"... Oops. Nobody told me it was uncrackable"

Edited by The aDIM Legacy
  • Like 1

15 theories and only 1 valid point, which isn't a plot hole. Could someone else stand up with a plot hole, because I smell lots of BS here.

You smell tons of BS because you are obviously a huge and devoted Batman/Nolan fan. Which is okay. But there is also the mainstream audience. They don't forgive that easily. TDKR will miss TDK numbers by a mile domestic, it can be happy to be flat in Europe. Maybe some asian markets in the end will still deliver a WW gross that comes close to TDK. Right now I predict 900 mio worldwide.

You smell tons of BS because you are obviously a huge and devoted Batman/Nolan fan. Which is okay. But there is also the mainstream audience. They don't forgive that easily. TDKR will miss TDK numbers by a mile domestic, it can be happy to be flat in Europe. Maybe some asian markets in the end will still deliver a WW gross that comes close to TDK. Right now I predict 900 mio worldwide.

Projecting your own dislike of the movie onto everyone else is silly. The film is a lock for $900m worldwide. Probably even a lock for $950m worldwide at the rate it's going right now.