The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I liked both films to a certain extent, but I do disagree with this.You can't judge a movie going for a more popcorn, entertainment vibe the same way as a movie going for a more serious, realistic approach. I love that Nolan went with a more serious and real world approach with his vision of Batman, but with that comes a more detailed and critical way of looking at things.Avengers was pure popcorn entertainment, and Batman is trying to be something more. Don't you think, as such, you at least have to judge and view them at least a little differently? Because let's face it, if you judged TDKR as a pure popcorn comic book film, like TA, it is a failure.They both are good in different ways, and should be judged in different ways, IMO.

They have different tones, but they are both still popcorn films. TDKR is very comic booky, way moreso than TDK. It's more similar to BB in that regard, which is a good thing IMHO. It is a comic book movie after all. Even TDK (as "realistic" as it attempted to be) had a ton of silly plot contrivances. What's amazing to me is how people overlook those while ripping TDKR to shreds.
  • Like 1

They have different tones, but they are both still popcorn films. TDKR is very comic booky, way moreso than TDK. It's more similar to BB in that regard, which is a good thing IMHO. It is a comic book movie after all. Even TDK (as "realistic" as it attempted to be) had a ton of silly plot contrivances. What's amazing to me is how people overlook those while ripping TDKR to shreds.

Yeah, come to think of it the reason I likely place TDKR the lowest of the three is a result of my inner bias towards comic book films. I like them, but for some reason have never been able to get into them as much as most.BB is still my favorite, I loved the origin story and I still think it had the best all-around story of the three. TDK and TDKR are still good though, in all honesty I think a large part of me was just expecting something a little different for TDKR.

Yeah, come to think of it the reason I likely place TDKR the lowest of the three is a result of my inner bias towards comic book films. I like them, but for some reason have never been able to get into them as much as most.BB is still my favorite, I loved the origin story and I still think it had the best all-around story of the three. TDK and TDKR are still good though, in all honesty I think a large part of me was just expecting something a little different for TDKR.

I rank BB as the best too. You can't top the first hour of that movie. It's the best in the genre. Third act of that film falls a bit, but there are still some really good parts in the second half of the film (bats saving him at Arkham, Joker card at the end, Ra's revealing himself at Wayne Manor, etc.).

I wish Catwoman was better used in the second half. In the first she's very well engrained into the plot, while in the second it kind of feels like she's there for the sake of it. And Bruce's insistence that there's 'more to her' seems more than a little forced.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

Actually, the best scene when she was in the restaurant. That was awesome. Especially when she fake-cried and then quickly ran off.Also, was that blonde girl who was always with her Harley Quinn?

I don't think so. And yeah, that fake cry got a big laugh from the crowd when I saw it a few nights ago.

Hathaway was mesmerizing. I expected her to do a really good job as she was my first choice when they announced Catwoman would be in the film, but she really gave life to that character.Also, I have to take back what I said about her beating the shit out of Pfeiffer. She's better, and Nolan's interpretation of the character was much more interesting, but Pfeiffer during the climax of BR was brilliant.

I feel Hathaway had bigger shoes to fill than Ledger. Pfeiffer's performance was far more difficult to follow than Nicholson's. However, Hathaway did about as well as you could expect. She did an honorable job filling Michelle's shoes and I would put her and Michelle pretty much on equal ground. I'm sure Michelle is proud to have another great performance next to her in this iconic role.

• Like 1

Pfeiffer is very classy when she's asked about Hathaway. She has praise everyone who has portrayed Catwoman. She's a lovely person and a stark contrast to Nicholson's pissy responses when he's asked about Joker, he thinks he owns the role.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 3