Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

I disagree superman is plenty popular but the key here is how the character is portrayed, remember that the batman franchise was in decline after batman and robin and until the dark knight came out most people believed that batman's best days were behind him (since the very well received BB only did modest box office so people assumed that batman's box office appeal was gone) but the dark knight changed everything for the character and brought him back into prominence.

Man of steel opened big in many markets telling us that the character still has wide appeal, as for the big drops well that tells us that it is the movie rather than the character that is divisive,

I think if superman/batman is well made it will only mean big things for the character.

If Critics love Superman/Batman crossover in 2015 as we as GA, then the film will definitely break records.

I disagree superman is plenty popular but the key here is how the character is portrayed, remember that the batman franchise was in decline after batman and robin and until the dark knight came out most people believed that batman's best days were behind him (since the very well received BB only did modest box office so people assumed that batman's box office appeal was gone) but the dark knight changed everything for the character and brought him back into prominence.

Man of steel opened big in many markets telling us that the character still has wide appeal, as for the big drops well that tells us that it is the movie rather than the character that is divisive,

I think if superman/batman is well made it will only mean big things for the character.

Big openings were the result of great marketing campaign. People who wanted to see it did it in the first week and since WOM wasn't great so not much repeat business hence the big drops. Of course if the movie was better it'd draw more audience outside of the genre. I point was Superman wasn't that huge draw OS as much as the other A list superheroes.

It is really funny how people now saying 650 WW is great for MOS!!! :lol: Over-anticipated and over-hyped movies like MOS (empty movie) deserves these disapponting numbers! And now its a great trick from WB to bring Batman on to get rid from Cradle-of-life effect!

Edited by dilusha117
  • Like 1

It is really funny how people now saying 650 WW is great for MOS!!! :lol: Over-anticipated and over-hyped movies like MOS (empty movie) deserves these disapponting numbers! And now its a great trick from WB to bring Batman on to get rid from Cradle-of-life effect!

So true!

MoS has its share of flaws but I don't think it is "empty"

I like PACRIM but it is what you can call a rather "empty" film

like RIPD, IM3, GU2 and many others released this summer.

Since you are here, according to your profile, since 12 June (2 days before MoS release), you should take a view to the MoS thread about predictions people have been doing along months and what most people were expecting of this. 600-650 WW was what many of us were expecting. Trailers and hype boosted a bit the predictions some days-weeks before release, but in general that was the general range.

• Like 1

Don't tell me you predicted a billion for this. I'm pretty sure what it has made so far is way bigger than what you had predicted for it. lolololololol

Edited by kayumanggi

There isn't some magical reboot powers that prevent it from making big numbers, Star Trek 09 made made more adjusted then any Star Trek film ever made, it was a reboot but it still caused its franchise to rise to a new level even though it followed a film without good WOM.

MOS isn't the second most successful reboot, 2013 is not 2006. Making 600M WW in 2006 was much harder to do than making 650M in 2013. 

People were saying that MOS numbers are excellent, TDK, Spiderman and The Avengers were examples of films who's numbers really were excellent, not because these were the highest grossing SH films (their not), but because they destroyed what they were supposed to do. If Superman destroyed expectations like those films did, then it would have made a billion. Instead it's going to make 650M, which isn't bad, but it is average.

And what THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA: TFA and IRON MAN did were what...mediocre?

This thread has been going in circles. Here are what I see as the facts:

-Man of Steel opened spectacularly

-it didn't perform very well afterward 

-it did not blow SR out of the water when adjusted for inflation

MoS had mediocre word of mouth and its critics were loud, but $650m WW (despite possibly coming under some peoples expectations), is a huge win for WB because it allows them to develop a "cinematic universe" which will make them absurd amounts of money.

MoS might have been slightly disappointing mostly based on its performance and not the actual numbers overall (and yes, how a film achieves its numbers says a lot about it), but it is a gigantic win for WB.

• Like 1

Don't tell me you predicted a billion for this. I'm pretty sure what it has made so far is way bigger than what you had predicted for it. lolololololol

Kayom lets not even acknowledge that a film that costs 200+ M and makes nearly 700M WW coming after a flop like SR destroys Batman Begins and Xmen and other big tentpoles in Marvel can be considered a flop. Dislushia needs to look at the Boxoffice success Mathemactics.. :) The films budget was already made back pretty much from just the most massive ad placement out of all the films this year... And then on top of that its going to make close to 700M WW... Seems likes its bigger success than Spiderman reboot, and that came off a 890M  WW SM3... ;) Superman is definitely a winner, but I think General Zod was not big enough a character to bring in masses like some of us expected OS...

Now with Batman and possibly squaring off against the Joker or Braniac or Darkseid... Who knows where BO Ride will end.

SUperman and Bats is definitely a potential Avengers killa :D

The potential was there for more so that automatically gives a feeling of disappointment

True Robert, but when you look at the film had made nearly 200mil just from product placements before the movie was even released... MOS is a huge success..  Not to mention it beat Xmen 2, Xmen 3, Should pass Ironman I, Beat Batman  Begins, Dare Devil,  Fantastic Four...Despite the flop 395-400M WW of Superman Returns!

The potential was there for more so that automatically gives a feeling of disappointment

My thoughts exactly. It's more the wasted potential then the final gross that I'm more disappointed by. But clearly MOS is a success, and that will ultimately be what it'll be remembered as.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. It's more the wasted potential then the final gross that I'm more disappointed by. But clearly MOS is a success, and that will ultimately be what it'll be remembered as.

Agree !! 650+ WW is nothing to sneeze about, especially for a reboot. I'm pretty Sure FOX would take this anyday over the poor TW outing.

Kayom lets not even acknowledge that a film that costs 200+ M and makes nearly 700M WW coming after a flop like SR destroys Batman Begins and Xmen and other big tentpoles in Marvel can be considered a flop. Dislushia needs to look at the Boxoffice success Mathemactics.. :) The films budget was already made back pretty much from just the most massive ad placement out of all the films this year... And then on top of that its going to make close to 700M WW... Seems likes its bigger success than Spiderman reboot, and that came off a 890M  WW SM3... ;) Superman is definitely a winner, but I think General Zod was not big enough a character to bring in masses like some of us expected OS...

Now with Batman and possibly squaring off against the Joker or Braniac or Darkseid... Who knows where BO Ride will end.

SUperman and Bats is definitely a potential Avengers killa :D

My lowend is 850M WW Kayum.. My Highend oh my 1.2-1.3B.  :) I could see this having a 100+M in China

75-100+M in SK, massive numbers in Austraila.. Stay tuned.. I wonder how much people saw

Supes with the potential of 700-900+M OS  :)... And 330-360+ M Domestic.. :). People have to remember this is the most popular

SH of all time, you give the folks an incredible movie like MOS and who knows what could happen.  :)

Classic Kal, the film will make 200M less than your low end, and yet you are ecstatic with the numbers and you are right back predicting crazy high numbers. I assume that once MOS 2 doesn't make anywhere near your prediction you will be right back saying what incredible numbers it had.

Classic Kal, the film will make 200M less than your low end, and yet you are ecstatic with the numbers and you are right back predicting crazy high numbers. I assume that once MOS 2 doesn't make anywhere near your prediction you will be right back saying what incredible numbers it had.

Actually it made 170+mil less than my lowend(MOS is still making money) , still far better Im sure than your prediction  Tower..LOl

And Superman vs Batman will definitely passy my 850+M Lowend..Sorry.   Your proably on the marvel FB trainwreck  thats guranteed to happen , saying Avatar 2 is going to get beat by Avengers.. Good luck with that kind of logic..lol

Edited by Superman001