CJohn

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters OS thread

The ticket numbers for Germany got updated again:

the 'bets' at InsideKino were at ~ 250T

at first the box office's articles anounced result trend was 350 Thousend, then they posted 375T, now they tell it was 405T !

I was a bit confused why the money result they announced is as high as $5.4 Million even with it's 3D ticket prices.

Not bad for a rather non-standard non-franchise genre movie with a FSK16 label.  ;) 

I got curiuos:

it seems the movie does especially well in South/Middle America, Eastern Europe, and the Philippines. Too early to conclude something about UK and the German speaking region. WOM seem to be for me surprisiningly good in the marked countries:

opened #1 in:AustraliaAustria (new)Bolivia (#1 for 3 weeks, in week 4 #2 in week 5 #1 again)Brazil (#1 for 4 weeks, in week 5 => #2)Bulgaria (#1 for 3 weeks, week 4+5 => #2)Chile (#1 for 2 weeks, then #2)Colombia (#1 for at least 5 weeks!)Ecuador (#1 for 2 weeks)Germany (new)Hong KongIcelandLebanonMalaysia (#1 for 2 weeks)Mexico (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)NorwayPeru (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)PhilippinesRussia (#1 for 2 weeks)SingaporeSouth AfricaSwiss (new)ThailandUK (new)Ukraine (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)United Arab EmiratesUSAin Slowenia it opened #2 but got the #1 spot in it's 2nd week thereleads :mouthdropped:the 2013 totals till 24. February (as far as I found the numbers) in:BulgariaColombiaMexicoPeruThailandPhilippinesin some countries it is on number 2 / nearly number 1 and still in the cinemas e.g. Brazil

• Like 1

I got curiuos: it seems the movie does especially well in South/Middle America, Eastern Europe, and the Philippines. Too early to conclude something about UK and the German speaking region. WOM seem to be for me surprisiningly good in the marked countries: opened #1 in:AustraliaAustria (new)Bolivia (#1 for 3 weeks, in week 4 #2 in week 5 #1 again)Brazil (#1 for 4 weeks, in week 5 => #2)Bulgaria (#1 for 3 weeks, week 4+5 => #2)Chile (#1 for 2 weeks, then #2)Colombia (#1 for at least 5 weeks!)Ecuador (#1 for 2 weeks)Germany (new)Hong KongIcelandLebanonMalaysia (#1 for 2 weeks)Mexico (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)NorwayPeru (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)PhilippinesRussia (#1 for 2 weeks)SingaporeSouth AfricaSwiss (new)ThailandUK (new)Ukraine (#1 for 2 weeks, week 3 => #2)United Arab EmiratesUSAin Slowenia it opened #2 but got the #1 spot in it's 2nd week thereleads :mouthdropped:the 2013 totals till 24. February (as far as I found the numbers) in:BulgariaColombiaMexicoPeruThailandPhilippinesin some countries it is on number 2 / nearly number 1 and still in the cinemas e.g. Brazil

Thanks! I saw the same thing, but not in such detail, in its performance especially in South and Central America. Mexico was pretty good as well. Any numbers from Venezuela? It just opened there as well. Having fun following its run.

is this getting released in Japan and China?

No set date yet that I can find but Paramount would be stupid if it didn't try.

It's such a beast here- it out grossed Avengers and will probably make more than Skyfall.

It out-grossed there also

The Dark Knight + The Dark Knight Rises

the last or all versions of :

Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, Twilight, Transformers, Sherlock Holmes, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars,  ...

WOW!

I'm surprised by how well this film is doing considering I had it marked to be quite a significant flop after it was pushed back. The film itself is rather stupid and no classic but makes for some R rated fun. Harmless but mildly entertaining (and often darkly so).

Nonetheless the film appears to be racing on towards $200m and that's quite a boost for a lower budget R rated flick.  I can't help but bemoan that Dredd didn't have even half of this film's box office success.

I'm surprised by how well this film is doing considering I had it marked to be quite a significant flop after it was pushed back. The film itself is rather stupid and no classic but makes for some R rated fun. Harmless but mildly entertaining (and often darkly so).Nonetheless the film appears to be racing on towards $200m and that's quite a boost for a lower budget R rated flick. I can't help but bemoan that Dredd didn't have even half of this film's box office success.

Big fan of Dredd as well, and I wish it had a similar run. There are probably a number of reasons why Dredd failed whie H&G is succeeding. Different genre for one. Plus H&G, as a fairy tale is more well known than Dredd. Plus the marketing of the movies was pretty different.

Oz cost 4x as much too. Won't make 4x as much either I guess, WW.

4x budget or 800M WW is possible I think.4x budget & marketing 1.2B, very improbable. Edited by WileECoyote

Big fan of Dredd as well, and I wish it had a similar run. There are probably a number of reasons why Dredd failed whie H&G is succeeding. Different genre for one. Plus H&G, as a fairy tale is more well known than Dredd. Plus the marketing of the movies was pretty different.

Oh yeah, I can totally see why H&G is taking off in the places Dredd didn't, especially in Europe. I just meant from an sole R Rated Action film point of view. That said I thought H&G's marketing was somewhat piss poor, hence why I originally thought it was set up for a flop. Seems I was absolutely wrong on that count!

.... I thought H&G's marketing was somewhat piss poor, hence why I originally thought it was set up for a flop. ....

I hadn't seen any marketing here, but as I frequently visit some international movie sides... I was very aware of the movie.

Might be interesting to compare the marketings within the different countries and compare it to the box office?

=> what kind of marketing did they and where?

hmmm, wonder what their marketing budget was and how they used it internationally. Most effective should be for a ~ special kind of genre movie like this to reach out to the 'typical' fans for those => internet internationally probably the best place to add an ad, give interviews... , or?

Oh yeah, I can totally see why H&G is taking off in the places Dredd didn't, especially in Europe. I just meant from an sole R Rated Action film point of view. That said I thought H&G's marketing was somewhat piss poor, hence why I originally thought it was set up for a flop. Seems I was absolutely wrong on that count!

True I wasn't too impressed with both movies marketing tbh. Just that H&G was shown as more fun/action and Dredd as pure action.
  • Like 1