CJohn

Oz: The Great and the Powerful OS thread

its obvious that this has been less than successful film. i am not saying its a financial disaster or major flop. but its a mild flop/no profit scenario for the studio. you cant deny this.. there will NOT be a sequel.

in the USA it is already tanking. there is no interest for this film. any big budget film doing John carter type numbers internationally is a bit of a flop isn't it?

Oz will make more than double Star Trek OS, which was also a big budget film.

Was Star Trek a flop? Because it got a sequel.

Also, it's not tanking DOM, it's having normal drops.

Edited by Tower

Oz will make more than double Star Trek OS, which was also a big budget film.

Was Star Trek a flop? Because it got a sequel.

Also, it's not tanking DOM, it's having normal drops.

Star Trek had 150m Productionbudget and 257m DOM and besides, it already was a franchise

Oz  had 215m budget and will do about 220m DOM, it needs more from OS than Star Trek.

BTW, Disney wanted no comparison with John Carter or Star Trek, they wanted Alice numbers. Oz does 2/3rds of AiW DOM and << half of AiW OS.

Edited by Rudolf

No, I think it's successfull enough to warrant a sequel. You can't compare this to John Carter as it is:- very strong in its home market- a nice asset for theme parks and tv networks- plus it will probably do better on DVD/BD This is a very US-centric film, same as baseball films, US history films (no, Lincoln did not set the BO on fire in Europe) and most superhero films. While I suppose Disney were after a bigger chunk of the OS market, they don't really need it.

That's quite true. I was hoping that it'd do better OS but apparently not. I guess if RDJ or Depp were the lead you could slap on an extra 100-150WW (pure guessing there). Disney may have also wanted AiW numbers but in the end at least it's a decent introduction to a new franchise, should Disney go ahead with a sequel. And this is the kind of asset that Disney likes. Theme park, merchandise, family friendly franchise. A lot of movies, especially for families, produce revenue streams well beyond direct sales.

if Alice didn't get a sequel, why would this?

I think they've been trying to get a sequel. Who knows why it hasn't come through yet. Disney seems to have a few fairy tale movies on its plate like Malificent and Beauty and the Beast, so an Oz sequel may not happen as well. It's just that why shouldn't this have a sequel? If its a disaster like JC than I can understand why not, I don't believe its a financial disappointment as some have been saying.

Star Trek had 150m Productionbudget and 257m DOM and besides, it already was a franchise

Oz  had 215m budget and will do about 220m DOM, it needs more from OS than Star Trek.

BTW, Disney wanted no comparison with John Carter or Star Trek, they wanted Alice numbers. Oz does 2/3rds of AiW DOM and << half of AiW OS.

So Oz will make 20-30M less Dom and over 100M more OS, and somehow Star Trek is seen as very successful and OZ is a flop?

I'm sure Disney would have liked to get Alice numbers, but you can't expect to get that every time.

What I'm saying is why would Disney make a sequel to Oz before Alice which was far more successful

I don't know why Alice didn't get a sequel, but if it was a simple financial decision by the studio than we would have had it by now.  Maybe other factors will make it easier to get a sequel for this than Alice, and maybe not, but you can't just say about a film that if it didn't make as much as Alice than it won't get a sequel.

So Oz will make 20-30M less Dom and over 100M more OS, and somehow Star Trek is seen as very successful and OZ is a flop?

I'm sure Disney would have liked to get Alice numbers, but you can't expect to get that every time.

The problem is, we really have no idea of how much revenue through other channels Disney is generating. For Oz-merchandising  I only found some books, music-CDs and dolls (for €30).

Maybe Disney wants to force the franchise no matter what (as long as they are not losing money) just to occupy that material as theirs. The same way they tried to copyright European fairytales.

Alice not getting a sequel was not because it didn't make enough money, not every successful film gets a sequel. Neither did Inception or Titanic.

AiW was a sequel of the original Alice-story, where she relived most of the things that happened to her before. She was just grown-up contrary to the original child-Alice. What should a sequel bring? Alice as a mother (or grandmother)? They tried that in Peter Pan with Wendy. Not so successful.