CJohn

Oz: The Great and the Powerful OS thread

In Avatar Col. Quaritch quotes Wizard Of Oz "We are not in Kansas anymore". I did not get the impression that my cinema audience was aware of that. "Yellow Brick Road" or "Over The Rainbow" are also not that iconic internationally.

I don't think that film is so much well known property OS as some believe.

AIW was also more Depp and 3D as Alice.

In Avatar Col. Quaritch quotes Wizard Of Oz "We are not in Kansas anymore". I did not get the impression that my cinema audience was aware of that. "Yellow Brick Road" or "Over The Rainbow" are also not that iconic internationally.

I don't think that film is so much well known property OS as some believe.

AIW was also more Depp and 3D as Alice.

The Wizard of Oz is very popular here in The Netherlands. Even the abomination known as 'The Wiz', the stage musical, was a big hit several years back. Wicked is ridiculously popular here as well and the show's Dutch leading lady is currently headlining Wicked on Broadway. And 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' is an iconic song often used in TV shows and commercials. Wicked was a big hit in Germany as well.

It may not be the same everywhere, but it's not like The Wizard of Oz is an unknown property everywhere outside the US.

The Wizard of Oz is very popular here in The Netherlands. Even the abomination known as 'The Wiz', the stage musical, was a big hit several years back. Wicked is ridiculously popular here as well and the show's Dutch leading lady is currently headlining Wicked on Broadway. And 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' is an iconic song often used in TV shows and commercials. Wicked was a big hit in Germany as well. It may not be the same everywhere, but it's not like The Wizard of Oz is an unknown property everywhere outside the US.

Given Judy Garland's "Somewhere.." would be recognized in Europe by a lot of people, but would they know the conection to Oz? Would these people go to the cinemas? 

There are a lot of remakes and sequels of The Wizard Of Oz. Not one particularly successful. Guess who plays the Scarecrow in The Whiz(1978)

Michael Jackson

Edited by Rudolf