A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

It is, really.

PR is what many Japanese dreamt about :)

Why Les Misérables (2012) didnt become a blockbuster in France ?

If America makes a Journey to the West movie, even cast a few Chinese actors and release it in China, I guarantee you it  will bomb here.

Things do not really work out as that easy as you think.

• Like 1

Why Les Misérables (2012) didnt become a blockbuster in France ?

If America makes a Journey to the West movie, even cast a few Chinese actors and release it in China, I guarantee you it  will bomb here.

Things do not really work out as that easy as you think.

Les Misérables??? Really??? What a poor example, in France we don't like musicals, and the actors sing in English with French subtitles, people don't like that here, they want dubbed movies and TV shows.

This is what Corpse has to say regarding PR vs WWZ in Japan:

I honestly don't think it's going to be that big in Japan. $30/40 million perhaps. Films like World War Z are currently more popular on various movie sites, which it happens to open against, and I have a feeling some may shun it as a Evangelion rip-off without the story, character development or complexity (basically everything they love about the series). Warner Bros. has been having a terrible year thus far with their imported releases, too, ever since their co-owned cinema chain, Warner Mycal, was bought out. 

Not all giant robot or monster movies do blockbuster numbers in Japan. Recent examples being the Transformers films. Only the third one ranked in the Yearly Top 10 in 7th place thanks to 3D still being really popular in 2011.

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71110&sid=04335e328f4691736de2bb0d279e82be

• Like 2

Les Misérables??? Really??? What a poor example, in France we don't like musicals, and the actors sing in English with French subtitles, people don't like that here, they want dubbed movies and TV shows.

It's true, muscial movies are guaranteed to be a flop in France  + the fact how we are heavily suspicious when an american movie adapts something that belongs to french ( book, history ).

Edited by pupuceplus

It's true, muscial movies are guaranteed to be a flop in France  + the fact how we are heavily suspicious when an american movie adapts something that belongs to french ( book, history ).

All countries think similar to that: America, Japan, China ...

Honestly I'm not suspicious at all, rather the opposite :)

Tintin from Spielberg was the best adaptation ever, and incredibly faithful to the original material, I know French studios could never reach this quality.

I want more French stories by Hollywood, an animated movie about Joan of Arc in the same vein as Mulan (good adaptation of Chinese story :) ) from Disney would be great :D

And I'm excited about the Hollywood version of Death Note :D

• Like 1