A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

Doesn't mean anything actually.  Pacific Rim is already dying in many markets it was released last week. -63% in South Korea, -51% in Italy after very poor start.

Even 50-60  million in China didnt change anything. Studio will get 15 millon at best and people there wont pay for VoD and wont buy a lot of DVD's.  

We dont even buy BD/DVDs now. Only a very small group of people buy those.

For what it's worth, Guillermo del Toro posted himself a thread on his forum saying that he's thrilled with how Pac Rim is doing overseas, and that the NECA toys & graphic novel are flying off the shelves, and they're constantly restocking those.

Talk about wishful thinking. Pac Rim GN was #16 on June trades list with 2,963 est. units sold. Less than stellar.

You guys are unbelievable. 

Yep, Guillermo del Toro has been forced, compelled should I say to go on his fansite's forum, to post this, because obviously, he's a big director and has no idea what he's talking about about his movie's grosses. Also, Guillermo only posts from time to time, no one is forcing him to, the forum has very few people on it, it's not a SPIN.

"I honestly doubt"? WTF man, do you have numbers as he probably has? God, some are really rooting from the beginning for this to fail, why? I don't know.

It's doing good overseas considering it's a fricking ORIGINAL property of a genre that's a geek/Kaiju fans exclusive.

You guys are unbelievable. 

Yep, Guillermo del Toro has been forced, compelled should I say to go on his fansite's forum, to post this, because obviously, he's a big director and has no idea what he's talking about about his movie's grosses. Also, Guillermo only posts from time to time, no one is forcing him to, the forum has very few people on it, it's not a SPIN.

"I honestly doubt"? WTF man, do you have numbers as he probably has? God, some are really rooting from the beginning for this to fail, why? I don't know.

It's doing good overseas considering it's a fricking ORIGINAL property of a genre that's a geek/Kaiju fans exclusive.

it's time to let it go. It is not doing that great overseas. It is doing average business so far. In the end it will likely finish only slightly higher than Battleship overseas and that was in 2D. 

I think del Toro is in a better position than you are on this subject, no? 

Of course not, People behind making something with a vested interest in its success are the last people you should go to for this kind of analysis. Since the numbers are known, then we could see exactly how well it's doing ourselves, and while it isn't doing terribly like RIPD or Lone Ranger, it isn't doing greatly either.

On Amazon, the graphic novel is the #1 selling title published by Marvel, and Pacific Rim: Man, Machines, and Monsters is the #1 selling book in the movie category. This book is selling so well that it's on backorder. So yes, the books are selling very well and according to Randy, The head of NECA, the action figures are very hot sellers. Put a spin on that haters!

Edited by Bishop54

The graphic novel sales should make Legendary happy. I doubt WB is getting a cut of that at all. (But then again, WB isn't on the hook for as much money).

Not WB, but Marvel/Disney is.

Not sure how NYT and Amazon charts play into this, since majority of comic sales go through Diamond anyway. Probably some correction will be in order once July numbers are in, but so far it does not look to be making any kind of splash really.

Really interested to see how the film does in China and Japan. Have a small doubt about optimistic Japan prospects. Is Japan that eager to see GDT (or anyone else, for that matter) playing around with their very own tropes (tokusatsu/mecha)?

On Amazon, the graphic novel is the #1 selling title published by Marvel, and Pacific Rim: Man, Machines, and Monsters is the #1 selling book in the movie category. This book is selling so well that it's on backorder. So yes, the books are selling very well and according to Randy, The head of NECA, the action figures are very hot sellers. Put a spin on that haters!

it is the lovers who are still spinning. Doing whatever they can to make this look like it is going to be a successful movie, when most people have accepted the fact that it is a flop. 

it is the lovers who are still spinning. Doing whatever they can to make this look like it is going to be a successful movie, when most people have accepted the fact that it is a flop.

No, no, no, this about you saying you doubt merchandise was selling as well as del Toro said it was. We just proved you wrong. Just admit you were wrong and move on.
  • Like 1

Del Toro is biased and delusional as well. What kind of mechandise? Fanboys buy  graphic novels, the general audience doesnt care. Pretty much the same as theatrical grosses. The same fanboys pay 20-25 USD for IMAX tickets and go too see it several times. How many they sold exactly? No one knows. Of course it will be №1 for some time even without strong sales. Just because fanboys were crying about the movie for two years. 

Edited by juni78ukr

It's still money, fact is all the merchandising is selling really well and is regularly sold out, why can't you just admit that?

The movie is NOT a flop either, if this is considered a flop considering it'll probably end up in the 350-400 M WW range all in, then Star Trek 09 was a flop, Cap America was a flop, and etc, etc.

Legendary paid for 75 % of the budget, do not forget that, it makes quite a bit of difference, that amounts to 125 M marketing excluded. This WILL be profitable.

It's still money, fact is all the merchandising is selling really well and is regularly sold out, why can't you just admit that?

Sold out has little to do with selling a lot, and much more to do with how much stock there is. tracking how much something sells out is the equivalent of tracking a films PTA rather than how much money it actually makes.

In terms of box-office, merchandise and graphic novel sales mean nothing. In terms of possible addition stories utilizing the IP (up to and including any potential sequels) they do help, to some degree. I assume Legendary holds the rights to any future movies, so I also assume any sequels would be a joint Legendary/Universal production... in which case it may also depend on whether Universal wants to try to continue the franchise at all.

In terms of WB, their investment in PR is not significant. I have no idea how the grosses are being divided between them and Legendary, so they may well end up happy with PR when all's said and done... or not. It's very hard to say.

In terms of box-office, merchandise and graphic novel sales mean nothing. In terms of possible addition stories utilizing the IP (up to and including any potential sequels) they do help, to some degree. I assume Legendary holds the rights to any future movies, so I also assume any sequels would be a joint Legendary/Universal production... in which case it may also depend on whether Universal wants to try to continue the franchise at all.

In terms of WB, their investment in PR is not significant. I have no idea how the grosses are being divided between them and Legendary, so they may well end up happy with PR when all's said and done... or not. It's very hard to say.

legendary will offset it with profit from 'godzilla' plus more, merchandise...