A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

Very cool. :)

My parents are from a city called Qui Nhon, which is central Vietnam near the east coast. When I visited, I went to Qui Nhon and Saigon. I was born in plain ol' Iowa though.

I finished up my Bachelor's last year, though I do I intend to get a graduate degree, but that's more of a late 20's goal. For now, it's a few years in the job market.

For now though, just excited to go see some Pacific Rim tonight. Kaijus and mechs, how can I not enjoy it?!

Oh, Qui Nhon, I know the place. Never go that far up North though, the only places I went to when I visited VN are Sai Gon, and Nha Trang. 

Good luck in the job market. Even though I got another 4-5 years in school, kinda glad that I haven't to worry about all that yet. I'm going into the Healthcare/Medical field, so hopefully, hardships now but an easy, promising life in the future.

Yup, I'm gonna see Pacific Rim tonight also, very excited  :) I hope it will do well OS in place of the disappointment domestic.

FF6 has exactly the stuff china audience will love. fast cars, and high octane action, and a proven star power with a chinese audience more aware. Pac rim no brand awareness, will only do around 60m.

transformers is a proven mega world wide brand and the biggest pop culture icon for kids in the 20th century .there is no comparison. pac rim and transformers do not belong in the same sentence.

Edited by Halba

After watching PR, I think 100M+ combined in China and Japan is possible. It's the most fun I had since TA. My audience ate up the crazy action and I'm feeling confident that China and Japan won't let it down.  :D

i am thinking 90m for china , japan.

Even MoS only did $63M. PR $75M, an original visual candy, under the eyes of FF6 ?  :thinking:

FF6 may have pirated copies everywhere now, it is the still most anticipated movie of this summer in China.

The admissions of 2D Battle: Los Angeles reached about 7.2m in 2011.

The admissions of 2D Battleship reached about 9.5m in 2012.

The admissions of 3D Pacific Rim would reach about 12m!

Edited by SentryTrans

I don't know if this is intentional on the part of local distributors, you know, divide & conquer because American movies are seen as competitors

WB self-distributes in Japan. WWZ is distributed or co-distributed by a Japanese company (Toho), but it doesn't make much sense that WB would collude with them to damage their own movie. I think it's safe to say WB will do their level best to make PR a hit in Japan. (In fact they have a pretty big presence there--they even distribute a good number of local films.)

Edited by Bob Violence

53M is great for 38 markets. 280-320M OS is where this Is heading.

This doesn't sound like an outright flop everybody has been clamoring for the last few days

But still I am expecting a bigger number. Audience fatigue I guess. I overheard folks are saying

"..there is just too much death & destruction for one summer for me."

This doesn't sound like an outright flop everybody has been clamoring for the last few daysBut still I am expecting a bigger number. Audience fatigue I guess. I overheard folks are saying"..there is just too much death & destruction for one summer for me."

400-450M WW might be enough for a sequel.
  • Like 1