A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

I think PR is doing OK numbers, nothing extraordinary.And you can't really compare PR numbers with Batman Begins or MOS or anything like that. You can compare PR with Battleship (would't say Transformers because it was a more established brand) OS love the sound of crushing metal, and huge robots and explosions. Any film containing either or all of that is going to do well OS. The question is only how big.Battleship, which didn't even had the fanboys begging to see the film, did over $235M OS. And almost everyone hated the movie and called it the Transformers left overs.So, Pacific Rim doing over $250M OS was almost a duty for me two months ago. As the movie sunk in the US, now $250M OS would sound like a miracle.

the movie has yet to open in Japan, I'm thinking that's going to bring in at least 30 million if not more but I could be wrong, who knows how Japan will feel about a live action hollywood mecha vrs Monsters film. they did create a genre of anime and manga for it, so I hope it does well because I am already looking forward to Pacific Rim 2

• Like 1

I think PR is doing OK numbers, nothing extraordinary.And you can't really compare PR numbers with Batman Begins or MOS or anything like that. You can compare PR with Battleship (would't say Transformers because it was a more established brand) OS love the sound of crushing metal, and huge robots and explosions. Any film containing either or all of that is going to do well OS. The question is only how big.Battleship, which didn't even had the fanboys begging to see the film, did over $235M OS. And almost everyone hated the movie and called it the Transformers left overs.So, Pacific Rim doing over $250M OS was almost a duty for me two months ago. As the movie sunk in the US, now $250M OS would sound like a miracle.

With China & Japan, it could do more than 250M OS

looks to reach 370 or so worldwide 

If it did $380M WW, on paper, WB/Legendary would break even on a $190M production.

On paper. There seems to be no lucrative endorsement deals or merchandising tie-ins

here. What WB/Leg could have gained before the movie release is pre-sales deals which could

be significant. The big success in China is bittersweet: it proves there is a humongous demand

for such movie, and the creative team would scream: "Toldja!!!"  but only small % goes to WB/Legendary

If it did $380M WW, on paper, WB/Legendary would break even on a $190M production.

On paper. There seems to be no lucrative endorsement deals or merchandising tie-ins

here. What WB/Leg could have gained before the movie release is pre-sales deals which could

be significant. The big success in China is bittersweet: it proves there is a humongous demand

for such movie, and the creative team would scream: "Toldja!!!"  but only small % goes to WB/Legendary

We can bet on Japan :)