A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

How so with it dominating in China and still having to open in Japan, Brazil, and Spain?

Brazil - 5M Spain - 5M Japan - 30M China - 90M 130+160 = 290 + 100 DOM = 390M WWSo it can definently hit 400M WW if it holds great in China and crosses 100M there or maybe it might break out big in Japan enough to cross it. Maybe it might break out in Brazil in Spain. (IMO unlikely) So I'd say it's a 50/50 chance of crossing 400M, not unlikely which Firedeep says.
  • Like 1

Brazil - 5MSpain - 5MJapan - 30MChina - 90M130+160 = 290 + 100 DOM = 390M WWSo it can definently hit 400M WW if it holds great in China and crosses 100M there or maybe it might break out big in Japan enough to cross it. Maybe it might break out in Brazil in Spain. (IMO unlikely)So I'd say it's a 50/50 chance of crossing 400M, not unlikely which Firedeep says.

So you're telling me it can't make another $10M from the other existing territories? I find that hard to believe. 

So you're telling me it can't make another $10M from the other existing territories? I find that hard to believe.

It was at 140M from a 14M weekend, 160M from existing territories + 90M China + 30M Japan + 10M Spain and Brazil + 100M U.S = 390M WW. It might make 10M more from existing territories but Smurfs 2 will hurt it. That's why I don't see it doing much more.

So I guess much depends on Japan now. I can see it doing very well there but I'm not get my hopes too high yet until we see numbers.

TF3 did 50M in Japan, I could see it doing that because Kaijus and Jaegars are very popular around there. This could really break out big in Japan.

TF3 did 50M in Japan, I could see it doing that because Kaijus and Jaegars are very popular around there. This could really break out big in Japan.

TRANSFORMERS is a big brand. As much as I want PR to break out in Japan, even $30M is a very optimistic estimate. The Japanese may scoff at American attempt at Mecha genre. They prefer their own like Macross, Bubblegum Crisis, Gundam and such. 

TRANSFORMERS is a big brand. As much as I want PR to break out in Japan, even $30M is a very optimistic estimate. The Japanese may scoff at American attempt at Mecha genre. They prefer their own like Macross, Bubblegum Crisis, Gundam and such.

Both good arguments. That's why I think Japan could go strong either way. I guess we will know next week.

That was with strong yen which was favorable for dollar conversion. But it still is a big number. Which gives me hope about PR in Japan.When it comes to Mecha, Gundam and Evangelion and to lesser extent Macross are known (with older animations such as Mazinger and Atom boy etc.) but it's not an automatic slam dunk. Kaiju used to be big but not as much. GA in Japan actually only knows a few major series but that's it. Some anime series like Bubblegum Crisis, even Akira are not that known outside online communities. Anime like One Piece or Decive Conan and now Evangelion are pretty much automatic $$ from GA. Most Japanese kids now play with Kamen Rider series rather than Kaiju or Mecha etc.I really really hope this breaks out in Japan but it's not going to be easy because Mecha and Kaiju "seem" synonymous with Japanese culture but that is more of a stereotype than the complete truth.If this hits 30m, it should be considered a success. Below 20m is a disappointment.