CJohn

Frozen OS thread

So Maleficent will have a BIG problem!

:(  :(  :(

At least it's only Japan.........

I think you misunderstood. I said, Frozen would still be making money, but wouldn't be a problem for Maleficent. By the time Maleficent opens, Frozen will be in its 17th week of release. Both can co-exist. Also, the buzz for Maleficent in Japan is really good right now. In fact, I think Maleficent has a good chance to be big in Japan.

• Like 2

I think you misunderstood. I said, Frozen would still be making money, but wouldn't be a problem for Maleficent. By the time Maleficent opens, Frozen will be in its 17th week of release. Both can co-exist. Also, the buzz for Maleficent in Japan is really good right now. In fact, I think Maleficent has a good chance to be big in Japan.

Hmmm. ^_^

How much big?

More than 20 milion or not?

It seems pretty probable that Frozen will be in first in its 16th weekend and then drops to third in its 17th weekend, behind both Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow. It should still be making good money, though. Competition doesn't seem to have the same effect in Japan as elsewhere.

It's still early so I can't say for sure, but personally I think it will definitely make more than $20m.

I find it rather amusing that when discussing another Disney movie that people are saying it might be "big" by doing over 20m.

It kind of puts into perspective how special Frozen's run has turned out to be.Posted Image

I find it rather amusing that when discussing another Disney movie that people are saying it might be "big" by doing over 20m.

It kind of puts into perspective how special Frozen's run has turned out to be.Posted Image

Actually when I said "big" I meant more like 40m+, but that's just my expectation for Maleficent. But yeah, Frozen will make at least 5 times what "big" movies usually do. :D

Edited by catlover

Other overseas markets have been updated to include May 9-11 weekend. The UK leads the way and for the first time since Frozen opened in Sweden it drops out of the top 10 (#11)

UK - $52,639 +122.7% ($65,394,158)

Sweden - $32,600 -30.3% ($9,674,357)

Spain - $1,112 -48.3% ($21,655,662)

Bulgaria - $624 ($1,396,693)

Belgium - $3,185 -26.6% ($7,924,439)

New total at may 18

Domestic:   $  400,523,000 (still in play in 112 theaters, 44K$ estimate for weekend)
Foreign:  $  805,800,000 (Now ranks #6 all-time, it needs only 600K$ to pass IM3)
Worldwide: $1,206,323,000  (It needs 9,1M$ to pass IM3 for #5 all-time, sure for next sunday)

Next steps: Marvel The Avengers OS (-89,4M$). Harry Potter TDH2 WW (-135,2M$)

Edited by edroger

Still 9 mln away from catching Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3 looked like it had won the year both domestically and WW after the summer. Incredible.

For me the most impressive (and unexpected) number was the OS $806.4m .

That this number will go down is amazing enough.

That is similar to Batman losing to James Bond the year before and Batman again losing to Alice before that.

• Like 1

For me the most impressive (and unexpected) number was the OS $806.4m .That this number will go down is amazing enough.That is similar to Batman losing to James Bond the year before and Batman again losing to Alice before that.

The OS total is really impressive and unexpected, but i think more than this global number, there are single markets run that are unprecedented for animation: North America (highest grossing ever for original movies in first run, 108 days and 17 weekend consecutive in top 10), South Korea (biggest animated ever, record admissions) and Japan. In Japan Frozen is going to break a world record: highest grossing for a movie in a foreign market, outpacing the 212M$ made by Titanic in the same country.

Edited by edroger
  • Like 2

The OS total is really impressive and unexpected, but i think more than this global number, there are single markets run that are unprecedented for animation: North America (highest grossing ever for original movies in first run, 108 days and 17 weekend consecutive in top 10), South Korea (biggest animated ever, record admissions) and Japan. In Japan Frozen is going to break a world record: highest grossing for a movie in a foreign market, outpacing the 212M$ made by Titanic in the same country.

You are right, but I meant for Iron Man 3 the OS number was special and beating this number is an acomplishment per se for Frozen.

Regarding Frozen, you are right some markets have overshadowed the aggregated numbers, but these are also impressive.

For me the most impressive (and unexpected) number was the OS $806.4m .

That this number will go down is amazing enough.

That is similar to Batman losing to James Bond the year before and Batman again losing to Alice before that.

I think you mean Harry Potter 7 - Part 1 losing to Alice (both were released in 2010).

I think you mean Harry Potter 7 - Part 1 losing to Alice (both were released in 2010).

no, I meant The Dark Knight, but forgot that they were not released in the same year.

I remember the buzz, when Japan brought strong numbers and it became clear, that Alice will get over 1 Billion and TDK.

no, I meant The Dark Knight, but forgot that they were not released in the same year.

I remember the buzz, when Japan brought strong numbers and it became clear, that Alice will get over 1 Billion and TDK.

oh, I see. But HP7 - P1 is a good comp for Alice since they're both fantasy films based on books and were released in 2010 (although arguably, HP7 - P1 wasn't in 3D)