CJohn

Frozen OS thread

:P

Not saying 950+ isn't happening, but I tend to be cautious when using the word 'lock'.

China seems too high. It grossed a little less than 8M on weekdays, so a 16M week would mean a sub-10% drop against some major competition and a halved screen count. 8M from US and 11 from SK are both very optimistic (they equal to 10% weekend drops after all).

I guess the total as of Sunday will be between 950 and 955 millions.

VD bump in China and Sk

11 for SK is  closer to 20% drop, last week was over 13

small drop US due to holiday weekend

With bad weather affecting the box office, a single-digit % drop remains optimistic for Frozen, holidays or not.

South Korea had stronger weekdays last week, so a 17-18% week drop needs a weekend drop very close to 10%.

And in China...well, we'll see xD

Mickey and Donald have never really been a major facet of feature films, though. Donald was in two of the package films in the 40s, but that's about it.

They could give it a try, they're famous characters. And Uncle Scrooge has so many adventures in comic books, there are a lot of materials. It's incomprehensible not to see them on screen, they're a symbol of Disney's history.

They could give it a try, they're famous characters. And Uncle Scrooge has so many adventures in comic books, there are a lot of materials. It's incomprehensible not to see them on screen, they're a symbol of Disney's history.

The thing is that WDAS hasn't ever really been in the business of rehashing characters of any sort. Ever since they started doing features, it's been focused on semi-original products.

While Disney's stable of famous characters are used, it's usually in other fashions. Shorts, occasional films in other venues (video and TV), and TV series. And they serve as branding for the company. I don't think there's really any necessity to put them in any of the WDAS features. There was an effort to make the 50th film about Mickey, but that fell through, and I think we were better off getting Tangled in that slot instead.

AFAIK, only Goofy has had a theatrical film of his own, with A Goofy Movie, which was done by DisneyToons (although I think it had a different name back then.)

I've been of the mindset that $100m is a reasonable minimum to expect from Japan, so if it does in fact cross $960m after this week or early next, TS3 as a target will be in the rear-view mirror. Would you guys say it's a lock for $1b before Japan gets it? I'm doubtful it will get to $1b by the first week of March (unless it gets extended in China), but I think $1b before Japan might be reasonable.

Should be 955 by sunday. Thats 40m for the week. Even if china drops hard. I still see 26m and then a soft drop to 21 for the follwing week.1.003B on sunday march 3rd. Definitely 1b before Japans opening. LOCK!If china can hold better w WOM then maybe a few million more.An oscar on march 3 could give it a boost and 1.030 before japan likely.

Should be 955 by sunday. Thats 40m for the week. Even if china drops hard. I still see 26m and then a soft drop to 21 for the follwing week.1.003B on sunday march 3rd. Definitely 1b before Japans opening. LOCK!If china can hold better w WOM then maybe a few million more.An oscar on march 3 could give it a boost and 1.030 before japan likely.

1.03B before Japan, or anything in that vicinity, makes #6 WW a very strong possibility...

1.03B before Japan, or anything in that vicinity, makes #6 WW a very strong possibility...

Or better yet if it grows long legs in a few markets and does 1.080 w/o japan, not until june tho, and its up to japan to take it to #5 WW and #1 WW 2013 Edited by mfantin65

I have a feeling they are going to release sing along in many markets now that the numbers are low. Argentina will have this WE, I assume other Spanish speaking countries will get it soon. You'll see it in SK once the weekend drops to 1-2m.  This along w an Oscar will give it a decent boost. 1.1b w/o  japan more likely. IM3 more likely now if Japan performs like SK

I have a feeling they are going to release sing along in many markets now that the numbers are low. Argentina will have this WE, I assume other Spanish speaking countries will get it soon. You'll see it in SK once the weekend drops to 1-2m.  This along w an Oscar will give it a decent boost. 1.1b w/o  japan more likely. IM3 more likely now if Japan performs like SK

Disney is absolutely kicking ass the way they are distributing Frozen.  Just brilliant the way they are taking advantage of peoples desire to see this multiple times.

If they release the Sing Along in SK will it explode there again?

• Like 1

I can't even fathom what impact the Sing Along version will have on Frozen's WW box office totals if it gets released in South Korea and (once the standard version has had its initial run) in Japan. Assuming both get it, of course. Disney's theatrical distribution team is on a roll.

Too bad the same can't be said about their Blu-ray team. :(

I can't even fathom what impact the Sing Along version will have on Frozen's WW box office totals if it gets released in South Korea and (once the standard version has had its initial run) in Japan. Assuming both get it, of course. Disney's theatrical distribution team is on a roll.

Too bad the same can't be said about their Blu-ray team. :(

millions. many many more millions