baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

You know the box office is in the toilet when it's July and the #2 movie of the weekend is making 12 million.

You know the box office is in the toilet when it's July and the #2 movie of the weekend is a rated R Ben Stiller comedy with a 14% RT score.

YUCK at most of the movies this summer outside of TA and the animated films.

I don't really think anyone is surprised that Brave is the number one animated film of the year, it would be more surprising if it wasn't.

It's not a terribly impressive run IMO. Pixar originals usually cross 3.5 multipliers and this obe will fail to do so.

But I don't think anyone is denying that the shooting had an effect on the box office for TDKR. What I don't think some of you are doing though is allowing for the possibility (fact in my mind) that TDKR was never going to match TDK, was never going to have the wom that tdk did and is now experiencing mixed WOM and because of all of this, COMBINED with the shooting, is bringing its box office down.

• Like 2

It's not a terribly impressive run IMO. Pixar originals usually cross 3.5 multipliers and this obe will fail to do so.

Good...no biggie to me. Burn Pixar...BURN. :)

All these Avengers fanboys...

The only thing people remember about Avengers is it's gross. I already forgot about the plot to the movie.

TDKR was clearly affected by the incident last Friday. Debate it all you guys want but there's no other reason it's underperforming its expectations. The entire box office has been hit.

Everyone I know still remembers it as the greatest super-hero film of all time.
  • Like 1

All these Avengers fanboys...The only thing people remember about Avengers is it's gross. I already forgot about the plot to the movie.TDKR was clearly affected by the incident last Friday. Debate it all you guys want but there's no other reason it's underperforming its expectations. The entire box office has been hit.

No need to take shots at TA. They're plenty of fans of both TDKR and TA and plenty of fans wanted both to succeed including me.

• Founder / Operator

But I don't think anyone is denying that the shooting had an effect on the box office for TDKR. What I don't think some of you are doing though is allowing for the possibility (fact in my mind) that TDKR was never going to match TDK, was never going to have the wom that tdk did and is now experiencing mixed WOM and because of all of this, COMBINED with the shooting, is bringing its box office down.

Maybe so. But anyone using the shooting as a shield to justify their low predictions have lost that perspective. The entire industry expected huge numbers for TDKR (and both tracking and history backed it up) -- this isn't a fanboy thing.No one is saying TDKR's WOM is or would have been precisely on par with TDK -- but it does have very good WOM so far. I'm not sure it makes much sense to say that's the reason it isn't recovering, especially when the film is pulling a market share equal to or greater than TDK's.Too many agendas floating around, IMO. That's why I think its best -- and accurate -- to say that every expectation before release is null and void. Would it have hit 600? Probably not, but no one can know that for sure. Especially when the entire market is suffering and not just TDKR itself. Edited by ShawnMR

All these Avengers fanboys...The only thing people remember about Avengers is it's gross. I already forgot about the plot to the movie.TDKR was clearly affected by the incident last Friday. Debate it all you guys want but there's no other reason it's underperforming its expectations. The entire box office has been hit.

Actually, I was a huge TDK fanboy a few years ago (from the moment Ledger was cast, not the moment of his death like most of you). I can forgive Nolan for a bad movie, but I cannot forgive the bad movie itself. Since my wife hasn't seen it yet, this is the best place to vent my frustrations lol

All these Avengers fanboys...

The only thing people remember about Avengers is it's gross. I already forgot about the plot to the movie.

TDKR was clearly affected by the incident last Friday. Debate it all you guys want but there's no other reason it's underperforming its expectations. The entire box office has been hit.

Oh please. As if TDKR isn't forgettable...it's underperforming because no one wants to see it. If it was the second coming like some Nolan fans would have us believe it would have swept everything before it despite the shooting, the Olympics and whatever tomorrow's excuse will be.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Maybe. But anyone using the shooting as a shield to protect their low predictions have lost all perspective. The entire industry expected huge numbers for TDKR (and both tracking and history backed it up) -- this isn't a fanboy thing.

I remember Shawn, you predicted less than 500 mill for TDKR as late as May. You have your prediction at 475 mill and we had conversations about this earlier this year. You and I were on the same page about TDKR not being able to hit 500 mill for the very reasons mentioned above. Then in July sometime, you changed your mind and wrote an excellent article as to why it would do well enough to perhaps pass TDK. Somewhere along the way, you changed your mind. But it's not like all things we talked about in January and February were impossible. You are seeing that now.

Maybe so. But anyone using the shooting as a shield to justify their low predictions have lost that perspective. The entire industry expected huge numbers for TDKR (and both tracking and history backed it up) -- this isn't a fanboy thing.No one is saying TDKR's WOM is or would have been precisely on par with TDK -- but it does have very good WOM so far. I'm not sure it makes much sense to say that's the reason it isn't recovering, especially when the film is pulling a market share equal to or greater than TDK's.Too many agendas floating around, IMO. That's why I think its best -- and accurate -- to say that every expectation before release is null and void. Would it have hit 600? Probably not, but no one can know that for sure. Especially when the entire market is suffering and not just TDKR itself.

This sounds awfully like November 2010...

TDKR may be a lot of things but forgettable is not one them.

Most people I know have not liked it nearly the same way everyone loved TA or TDK. It's getting a response more similar to other SH films like Captain America or Thor -- again, purely from the handful of people I talk movies to at work, family and friends.

• Founder / Operator

I remember Shawn, you predicted less than 500 mill for TDKR as late as May. You have your prediction at 475 mill and we had conversations about this earlier this year. You and I were on the same page about TDKR not being able to hit 500 mill for the very reasons mentioned above. Then in July sometime, you changed your mind and wrote an excellent article as to why it would do well enough to perhaps pass TDK. Somewhere along the way, you changed your mind. But it's not like all things we talked about in January and February were impossible. You are seeing that now.

I changed my mind when word started leaking that the film delivered for everyone who had seen it. I think I even stated this in my original articles, but I was predicting sub-$500m earlier this year in case the film disappointed audiences and critics.

Most people I know have not liked it nearly the same way everyone loved TA or TDK. It's getting a response more similar to other SH films like Captain America or Thor -- again, purely from the handful of people I talk movies to at work, family and friends.

Ugh, Thor? Now that's a very not good movie.
  • Like 1