baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

Sometimes it's pretty shared out, like 2005 for instance, no one movie got more than three Oscars.

That's probably how it should be a lot of the time. I haven't seen any films recently that made me think, "Yeah, this is better in every single category than all other movies" and should then get a sweep as a result.
  • Like 2

The Aurora victiims begin to RISE.

Survivors of the movie theater massacre packed the courtroom for his arraignment, some wearing Batman T-shirts. Prosecutors have not decided whether to pursue the death penalty against Holmes.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/accused-dark-knight-killer-james-holmes-charged-24-counts-murder-116-counts-attempted-murder-colorado-article-1.1124920#ixzz227yUDgBQ

Funny you say this, because I replied:why should i change what i love doing because one guy?people keep flying in planes after 911people keep going to school after columbineand virgina techso i'm gonna keep going to moviesHer response was "I guess. Be careful. You're going to need to."I responded with an eye rolling emoticon.

I heard people say the same thing about going to movies. Tell her be careful the next she goes shopping.
  • Like 2

Funny you say this, because I replied:why should i change what i love doing because one guy?people keep flying in planes after 911people keep going to school after columbineand virgina techso i'm gonna keep going to moviesHer response was "I guess. Be careful. You're going to need to."I responded with an eye rolling emoticon.

The only thing is that going to the movies is completely unnecessary, unlike going to school, or going on a plane.

The only thing is that going to the movies is completely unnecessary, unlike going to school, or going on a plane.

People still go church and malls.One of the few spots I can think that has not had a mass shooting is a sporting event in the USA.

People still go church and malls.One of the few spots I can think that has not had a mass shooting is a sporting event in the USA.

People still have to go to malls.But I agree that churches are pretty superfluous. The problem is that lots of people don't think it is (at least in the US), so that doesn't really count either.

Harpo, your line of thinking is exactly what is wrong with the Academy. They vote for their favorite movie in every category even if the film clearly isn't the best in that particular category.

If they like it better....doesn't that mean they think it's better? What is "clearly not the best"? Is there such a thing as "better cinematography"? (I love talking about this stuff...it fascinates me :) )

As far as TDKR goes, $30m at midnight was a pretty strong indicator of at least $15m higher on the weekend. This isn't Harry Potter we're talking about. I was predicting $175m from a $25m midnight.

I don't see any rule about midnights. Every movie acts different. The Avengers made far less and ended up with a much bigger weekend. Harry Potter made more and ended up with less than 175. TDKR is....well....TDKR. It's not any other movie. We have no idea what it "should have done" because every movie acts different.

If they like it better....doesn't that mean they think it's better? What is "clearly not the best"? Is there such a thing as "better cinematography"? (I love talking about this stuff...it fascinates me :) )

You can enjoy the story more in one film while also enjoying something else from another. For instance, I enjoyed the story of No Country For Old Men more than the story for There Will Be Blood, but I would never in a million years say that I thought Josh Brolin's performance was better than Daniel Day Lewis' performance.
  • Like 2

You can enjoy the story more in one film while also enjoying something else from another. For instance, I enjoyed the story of No Country For Old Men more than the story for There Will Be Blood, but I would never in a million years say that I thought Josh Brolin's performance was better than Daniel Day Lewis' performance.

What if most people feel in such a way, but you don't. Would they be wrong?

I agree there. There can be elements from several movies that impress me. Do we know that Academy voters do not vote that way though? My vote on Lewis vs Brolin...hmmm....not sure. I loved both. I could actually go either way. (Again....that could be different for everyone....no such things as "better acting" either)