Your Ten Essential TV Episodes

1) The Wonder Years: My Father's Office: One of the best, if not the best, episodes of television ever explores the grueling life of having to sacrifice your dreams to provide for your family. An episode that had Kevin learning to appreciate just what his father does and understand why he comes home frustrated all the time. This is an episode that simply works in every possible way-emotionally and funny often at the same time. If you're going to see only one episode of the Wonder Years, then this is the episode to see-heck if there is the one episode you're going to see of any TV series, I would recommend this one.2) Parenthood: Road Trip: Parenthood is a show that is sadly ignored by a lot of people and Road Trip is an episode that is a clear example of why those people are wrong. Road Trip takes the entire Braverman family on a road trip and it results in an amazing episode that is filled with drama, laughter, and realism.3) Arrested Development: Mr. F: It's true that the funniest comedy of all time, Arrested Development, doesn't have a strong emotional core. This is an episode that proves it: this episode simply makes me laugh, builds up on the jokes upon previous episodes, while at the same time delivering one of the best comedic moments of all time-the destruction of “Tiny town”. Arrested Development was a funny and experly plotted show.4) The Vampire Diaries: The Last Day: It was either going to be this episode or Buffy the Vampire Slayer's episode where Buffy slept with Angel and he turned evil. The sole reason that I picked this episode was because that Angel really wasn't established as a credible threat until a bit later. This Vampie Diaries episode is one that proved why it's so excellent: while moving a plot at breathtaking speeds, it also took time to ensure that the main characters got moments because it kept the episode rooted in it's characters.5) Soap: Episode 21 (or 20/22-not really sure): I'm not sure which episode in specific I'm referring to thanks to the lack of episode titles, but it's the one where Jessica Tate begins her trial and she starts to try and reorganize the court room. It's the funniest Soap episode ever aired, but it's also one that has some really great acting from Katherine Helmond. In many ways, Soap is the original Arrested Development but with one difference: it's heart. While Soap was never as consistently funny as Arrested Development, this episode easily was as funny as most Arrested Development episodes.6) Fringe: Peter: This was an exceptional episode in Fringe and it's an episode that shifted the reaction towards the series. While Fringe was always good, it isn't until this episode that the series started to be considered great. This is an episode that revealed critical information about Peter-and sets forth the motion for just about every single episode since. It added layers and depths to relationships and characters. This is truly the Fringe episode that changed everything: within and outside the show.7) The Big Bang Theory: The Pirate Solution: The episode where Raj starts to work for Sheldon. This episode features the funniest thing the Big Bang Theory has ever done (the Eye of the Tiger montage scene that satirizes all other montage scenes that use that song) while at the same time helping to develop the relationship between the two. The Pirate Solution may not be the best episode of the Big Bang Theory, but it's always the one that I think of when I think of why I like this show so much.8) The Good Wife: Double Jeopardy: There are many Good Wife episodes that could make this list, but I'd say “Double Jeopardy” should be the one to make it. It's more of a third season episode than a second season one as it explores a new aspect of the law that isn't usually explored in legal dramas. This is an episode that is truly great, will teach you some fascinating legal stuff, while using that stuff to better develop the drama.9) Parks and Recreation: The Telethon: There are so many episodes I could have picked from what is currently my favorite show on television. I chose “The Telethon” simply because it manages to even make the dull character of Mark funny. From Ron's sleep-fighting disorder to Leslie pulling down her pants on television, this episode is simply funny from beginning to end-while at the same time, exploring the state of the relationship between Mark and Ann. (A close second is “94 Meetings”).10) Awake: Pilot: Awake will forever be a short-lived drama that was critically acclaimed but failed to catch on. This is a disappointment because Awake was a good show-but the pilot was simply exceptional. While it's not my favorite episode of the series (that would be “That's Not My Penguin”) it is one that tells a beautiful 45-minute story...everything after that was merely an epilogue.Notes:-Community almost made it, but alas I was limited in number.-Newer shows have a higher chance of making it simply because they are fresh in my memory. Some episodes that made it would not make it in a year or so, when I've seen more television and have had time to re-evaluate.

I like Parenthood too, I'm so glad it's being picked up for a 3rd season. It's really similar to Brothers and Sisters actually, maybe that's why B&S started dropping in ratings during its final season (on top of the poor writing).

• Community Manager

I like Parenthood too, I'm so glad it's being picked up for a 3rd season. It's really similar to Brothers and Sisters actually, maybe that's why B&S started dropping in ratings during its final season (on top of the poor writing).

Parenthood is not why B&S dropped in ratings. While not a flop, Parenthood isn't exactly a hit and while it's better written-it didn't air against B&S. B&S ratings fell because of poor writing and because as a series ages, ratings eventually start to drop.

Probably going to be Cheers - Last episodeThe Shield - Last episodeSimpsons - Mr. Plow episodeWonder Years - last episodeBatman: The Animated Series - Grey Ghost episodeCosby Show - Theo's economic lessonThe Walking Dead - premiere episodeTales from the Crypt - What's Cookin episodeGrowing Pains - Mike is sick episodeSeinfeld - The Bet episode

Buffy - The Body

The most mind-blowing, devastating episode of TV I know.

Angel - Not Fade Away

My favourite finale by far. Exciting, tear-jerking, epic.

Seinfeld - The Junior Mint

The funniest TV episode I've ever seen. I used to prefer The Contest, but this stands up to repeat viewing better. Jerry's plot: he's dating a woman but can't remember her name. This is the funniest sitcom plot bar none.

Six Feet Under - Everyone's Waiting

Strong episode overall, but those last six minutes. If you've seen that montage, set to Sia's Breathe Me, you'll know what I mean.

Battlestar Galactica - Daybreak

I know a lot of people hated the BSG finale, but I loved it. The last scenes between The Old Man and Madame President can make me well up just thinking about them. Plus: All Along The Watchtower.

Veronica Mars - Pilot

Best pilot episode I've ever seen. Loaded with so much exposition you'd think it would be impossible to make work, but it's moving, funny and charming.

The Wire - Mission Accomplished

Picking just one Wire episode is borderline impossible. It's like picking a favourite page from a novel.

Mad Men - Far Away Places

Roger Sterling is on acid. Perfect.

Firefly - Serenity

The brilliant pilot that hinted at a darker, more adult show than Fox could evidently live with. Unfortunately the vastly inferior Train Job ended up subbing as the pilot when it went to air.

Arrested Development - Let 'em Eat Cake

"He's thinking about bees again."

1) The Wonder Years: My Father's Office: One of the best, if not the best, episodes of television ever explores the grueling life of having to sacrifice your dreams to provide for your family. An episode that had Kevin learning to appreciate just what his father does and understand why he comes home frustrated all the time. This is an episode that simply works in every possible way-emotionally and funny often at the same time. If you're going to see only one episode of the Wonder Years, then this is the episode to see-heck if there is the one episode you're going to see of any TV series, I would recommend this one.

Oh, wow... Thank you for that memory. I had completely forgotten that episode until you started describing it. And it IS as emotionally poignant as you say.

I'm just gonna start my list as to what I know would definitely be on it, and add more as I catch up on my shows I'm binging. In no order:1. Dexter- The Getaway. The whole fourth season was building up to this battle of baddies in the season finale, and boy did they pull through. Lithgow was absolutely phenomenal throughout the season, and really earned his Emmy with this season finale performance. While I consider Hello, Dexter Morgan and The Getaway one episode, I guess they're technically two. This was the defining moment of the Dexter series, and probably will be when all is said and done.2. The Office- Beach Day. Never have I laughed more with this series than this episode. While I can watch the first 4 seasons over and over again without getting tired, this is one that I'll actually take the effort to throw in the disc to watch. 3. The Wonder Years- My Father's Office. Pretty much everything Water Bottle said. It's really the defining episode of the series. It's the one I remembered watching a long time ago when I recently starting watching it again on netflix. Great writing, and so poignant. 4. Breaking Bad- Face Off. Man, it's really hard choosing only one episode from this series. I think everything clicked in the season 4 finale (season 4 must be lucky, huh?). Everyone's acting was top-notch, and everything about this episode goes to show just how phenomenal this series is. If you want to get someone interested in Breaking Bad, just show them the last 5 minutes of this episode. Actually, they should've used that shot of

Gus with half his face blown off falling to the floor

as the cold open of episode one of season four and built from there. 5. Arrested Development- Amigos. Again, do I really only get to choose one episode from each series? Anyway, I think every episode of this series is great, but I was really rolling during this episode in Mexico. The whole Ann business and fiasco with George in Mexico and wondering if he's dead. Comic genius.That's all for now, as I have to finish Lost (on season 3), as well as watch Mad Men and a few other critically acclaimed series.