baumer

Lawrence of Arabia

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

^huh? :wacko:  I seem to have lost my fishnets dictionary. Who's Boyens?

PJ`s second unwedded wife, infamous for putting "female energy" in everything, cheesy Girl Power lines that don`t catch on and Herat of darkness references:

Posted Image

I would pay a shitton of money for a chance to see Lawrence of Arabia in proper IMAX. Hell, even a digital one would suffice, just give me a fucking huge screen and the Maurice Jarre score blaring from the speakers. 2001, Once Upon a Time in the West or Apocalypse Now would be sweet as well. But the chances of it ever happening are slim to none unless I get to live in LA for some time in the future or something.

It's rightfully a classic, and its influence is easily seen in countless films that came after. In the end, there are some pacing issues, and I guess that's to be expected when a movie clocks in just under the four hours.  It's not among my favorites, but there are countless gorgeous shots to be had here, and the scene where the Arabs are stampeding toward that coastal city is easily of one of the most visually awesome scenes ever made. B+/B

Edit: I should say that I liked this film a great deal more than other epics such as Ben-Hur and Spartacus.

Edited by mattmav45

It lives up to its reputation as one of the all-time greats. The cinematography is gorgeous (wish I could have seen it when it was back in theatres for two nights around the time of its 50th anniversary Blu-Ray release), and Lean doesn't lose track of the immediacy of the story despite the amount of time and space it covers in nearly four hours.

A

And it's still a pity that this and To Kill a Mockingbird had to premiere in the same year. How great would it have been to see Lawrence add a win for Peter O'Toole in one year and Mockingbird pick up Best Picture in the next?

• Like 1

A much as I love Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird, O'Toole deserved that Oscar. He'd probably deserve it in any year against any competition.  He's just that brilliant and magnificent in the role.

A++++++

It's the epic of epics.  Directing, cinematography, performances, story, editing, dialogue, score -  cerebral, visceral, expansive in scope and emotionally intimate...  it's transcendent film making.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Just watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. I got to say, I was left feeling .. disappointed. I really enjoyed the first hour and half thought it was brilliant. and of course the film was shot beautifully with epic set pieces, and it had memorable performances. but as the film went on, it became hard to understand, it dragged, and became downright boring. I thought it was way too long, I like some long movies, every time I watch ROTK I choose the extended edition. but there is so much going on there. this is a pretty much a one man story, how he starts out a great man and becomes.. a burnout?? I have to say the ending was really disappointing too. while I see this film was made with some great artistic value the story overall feel flat for me. I'm not sure I could watch it again either. B

Edited by Kalo