Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

59. Gladiator

Ridley Scott, 2000

"At my signal, unleash hell."

Nominated for 12 Oscars, won 5

405 points

Synopsis: When a Roman general is betrayed and his family murdered by an emperor's corrupt son, he comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge.

Trivia: Like modern day athletes, ancient Roman gladiators did product endorsements. The producers considered including this in the script but discarded the idea as unbelievable.

58. Inglourious Basterds

Quentin Tarantino, 2009

"My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and this is the face... of Jewish vengeance!"

Nominated for 8 Oscars, won 1

408 points

Synopsis: In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same.

Trivia: On German advertisement materials all swastikas were removed or covered up, as it was unclear to the distributor if the swastikas violated German law (which prohibits the exhibition of Nazi symbols except for purposes such as historical accuracy).

57. Finding Nemo

Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich, 2003

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Nominated for 4 Oscars, won 1

410 points

Synopsis: After his son is captured in the Great Barrier Reef and taken to Sydney, a timid clownfish sets out on a journey to bring him home.

Trivia: Dory is the first role ever written specifically for Ellen DeGeneres

Edited by Sims
  • Like 2

56. Aladdin

Ron Clements & John Musker, 1992

"You ain't never had a friend like me!"

Nominated for 5 Oscars, won 2

416 points

Synopsis: Aladdin, a street urchin, accidentally meets Princess Jasmine, who is in the city undercover. They love each other, but she can only marry a prince.

Trivia: In the preview screenings for the movie, nobody applauded after the big song numbers. The animators wanted applause and so somebody stuck the Genie with an "Applause" sign at the end of "Friend Like Me". The joke worked and the sign was kept for the movie.

55. Fargo

Joel & Ethan Coen, 1996

"You betcha!"

Nominated for 7 Oscars, won 2

421 points

Synopsis: Jerry Lundegaard's inept crime falls apart due to his and his henchmen's bungling and the persistent police work of pregnant Marge Gunderson.

Trivia: None of the movie scenes, either exterior or interior, were actually filmed in Fargo.

54. Aliens

James Cameron, 1986

"Game over, man, game over!"

Nominated for 7 Oscars, won 2

426 points

Synopsis: The planet from Alien has been colonized, but contact is lost. This time, the rescue team has impressive firepower, but will it be enough?

Trivia: The word "fuck" is used 25 times in the film, 18 of them are spoken by Hudson.

• Like 2

Why does it have to be 6 AM where I live, with me not having slept yet? I'd hate to wake up with the whole list revealed. Oh, and there should have been a disclaimer that nobody who hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia was allowed to make a list. Seriously, absolutely everything about that film is Top 10 material

• Like 2

53. Citizen Kane

Orson Welles, 1941

"Rosebud."

Nominated for 9 Oscars, won 1

429 points

Synopsis: Following the death of a publishing tycoon, news reporters scramble to discover the meaning of his final utterance.

Trivia: Orson Welles was just 25 years old when he directed this.

52. Psycho

Alfred Hitchcock, 1960

"I think I must have one of those faces you can't help believing."

Nominated for 4 Oscars

429 points

Synopsis: A young woman steals $40,000 from her employer's client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor too long under the domination of his mother.

Trivia: Hitchcock always regarded Psycho as a comedy. When asked why, he would only reply "Had to be.

51. Ratatouille

Brad Bird, 2007

"If you focus on what you left behind, you will never see what lies ahead! "

Nominated for 5 Oscars, won 1

432 points

Synopsis: Remy is a young rat in the French countryside who arrives in Paris, only to find out that his cooking idol is dead. When he makes an unusual alliance with a restaurant's new garbage boy, the culinary and personal adventures begin despite Remy's family's skepticism and the rat-hating world of humans.

Trivia: Worried that the general public wouldn't know how to pronounce the title, Disney/ Pixar had it spelt phonetically on all the posters and trailers.

• Like 1