The Creator

Creator's Corner Year 4

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will your film be number one on my list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Numbers' will, of course!

They'll be in.

14. Citizen Hughes

This could have been a remarkable bio-pic, but instead it is kind of half-assed at times. It didn't really feel complete; that's the problem. It wasn't personal enough to earn it higher marks. The story at times felt disconnected as the film never had a consistent focus on some critical aspect of Hughes' life. That said, it was remarkably well acted and still well-scripted, and it is one of the better pictures of the year (obviously since it's ranked 14th here). Putting aside the little setbacks I had, it is still an all around great film.

11. The Simulation

A strong sci-fi, "The Simulation" is very well handled and acted and it's definitely one of the more unique offerings this year. For those reasons, it was a top gunner for making it to my top 10, but it just missed it. Regardless, it is a film with a good message about governmental control in presumed utopian societies, and the acting and storytelling make it a very enjoyable and complex experience.

22. The Island of the Blue Dolphins

A dazzling animated pic, "Island" features a compelling and highly entertaining story of adventure and finding one's self, and the natural elements of the film, its adherence to the beauty and sheer brilliance of nature and the endearing spirit of the human self, is breathtaking.

19. Miracle Boys

A pretty well-acted film, "Miracle Boys" is good where it can be but fails to make a truly lasting impression, which is what holds it back from being higher on my list. As it is, the story is well developed and the directing is deftly handled, making for a middle-ground Oscary film that probably won't receive Oscar recognition but which is truly quite good.

And now for the first from my top 5:

5. THE GLASS CASTLE

"The Glass Castle" is, in a word, haunting. I say that not because it is a horror movie, nor is a thriller or mystery. It's not a suspense or adrenaline-ride. It's just...haunting. It is haunting in its depiction of poverty, and the way the film portrays a simple family's plight through a poverty-ridden lifestyle, their many migrations from temporary home to home, is wondrously impactful on the viewer. What helps is a well acted ensemble performance, with some of the better performances of the year, and strong direction that makes "The Glass Castle" one of the most memorable and lastingly impactful stories of the year, and certainly one that gets under my nails and just lodges itself in my brain as a film worth remembering and watching multiple times. The character development and story are just wowing, and the film is hugely impressive.

And yes, my list will be complete and my Oscar picks should be as well by tonight.

• Like 1

Let's get a couple of Numbers' out of the way real quick...

12. Sylvarius

Perhaps the best animated film of the year, "Sylvarius" is also one of the year's best films overall. It is powerfully scripted with a captivating story and a swift development that gets the viewer wrapped up in the characters and story without being bogged down too long with boring dialogues and dragging character scenes. I'm glad "Sylvarius" didn't fall into those issues and was a solid film throughout with a spectacular ending.

7. Alesia

Ah, the "Rome" trilogy is back. It's definitely a good start to what will become one of the best trilogies of the game when the next two are completed, but that's pretty much it: it's just a good start. It is a remarkable film but if the sequels continue as I expect them to, then it will be the weakest of the trilogy. That said, the acting is glorifying; perhaps the best ensemble of the year. The story is rich with historical accuracy and a lot of planning and thought-provoking analysis/portrayal of the rise of the great Roman Empire during the Caesarian period. A film ripe with political intrigue and scandal, "Alesia" is the masterful film it was intended to be.

Ok, no more Numbers for now

15. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord

...ok, just kidding. More numbers!

Well, "Of Their Own Accord" is a more-than-satisfying continuation of the "Call of Duty" franchise. The movie is ripe with tense action but more so with intriguing dramatic moments and confrontations between characters that make the film worth the $8.50 admission price. It's more than a summer blockbuster; it has heart to it, and brain as well, and that makes it more entertaining.

Now no more Numbers in this post...and this time I mean it.

23. Our City

A solid animated film with a fairly unique story, "Our City" suffers from lack of conflict. Had there been more conflict, the film would have felt more complete and enjoyable. It is an original film, it just didn't go quite where it could have. Other than that, a very solid film with only minor errors and a fun story to watch.

And the next of my Top 5 films:

4. THE FLOWERS OF ARKIVA

Wow. One of the most bitterly painful films of the year, "Arkiva" is breathtaking. The austere beauty of the film, the imagery and magnificent cinematography, gives it that atmospheric luxury that I treasure in a picture of this caliber, but it is the sensational indie storyline that weaves through the complexity of this awing backdrop that makes the film a winner. The acting is phenomenal, with Williams delivering an Oscar-worthy performance. What gets to me is the romance that brews in Williams' character's life as she ventures to Arkiva, Sweden for her mother's funeral and develops a relationship with Ingram (Skarsgard). The affair provides the film with its lush liveliness and spirit and makes it a truly magnificent film, one of those sweet-seeming indie pics I love to plop down and watch. What makes it even more impressive is the way the climax is deflty handled, especially in the final moments of the film when Williams' character embraces her daughter after getting off her plane and her emotions are mixed. A truly powerful and unforgettable experience.

• Like 2

A very "mathematical" post if you catch my meaning.I'm definitely going to up the game in the Rome trilogy. The original version of The Rise of Julius Caesar dealt with things in very broad strokes. I aim to give that film a lot more political and dramatic complexity.

• Like 1

As an added note, if some of my films in the top 5 are highly unlikely to be nominated for BP, I will nominate films just outside my top 5 (like Alesia) because they deserve it to and if I can't get the films in my top 5 nominated I will push for those just bordering it instead, especially if they have a better chance, since as I said, my list features some...surprises, I guess.

Like this one..

9. Bohemian

A very overlooked and underappreciated film, "Bohemian" is exactly the bizarre film I was looking for, and it satisfies my lust for a quirky moviegoing experience. Inspired from the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody", the movie weaves through a seemingly disjointed storyline with a sense of discontinuity that plagues the film occassionally, but I appreciate what Spike Jonze was accomplishing here: he was making a film, a tribute to the song, that wasn't meant to be understood in a linear fashion but rather in some trippy acid-infused dimension view that takes in everything and nothing at the same time, and evaluates sections of the film as their own entities within the film. At that, "Bohemian" succeeds and is one of the most unique and original films of the year.

16. Spark

A very entertaining experience, "Spark" is a little big-film with a lot of heart and a good kick. It is one of the year's best animated films and probably the most entertaining one. I really enjoy the film and find it to be one of the year's most entertaining and consistent blockbusters, but beyond that it also has a good story.

And now for the next of my Top 5 candidates:

3. LOVEBYTES

I love this film, and I don't care if it bytes. "Lovebytes" is brilliant. It is a non-traditional rom...com...that is very unique and one of the most original films of the year. I really felt inspired by the storytelling, which kept me attracted to the film from start to finish. The acting is very down-to-earth and lifelike, which made this a more touching experience. It's the film's ability to get you connected to and involved with the characters that makes "LoveBytes" such a fantastic and personal experience. I greatly appreciate the relevance of the film to modern romance, where things like social networking now have a tremendous influence on our depiction of relationships. The many alter egos Meredith assumes throughout the film on various social networking sites proves this point as it shows her reliance on the Internet to make herself attractive to boys. The characters are very well handled and the film has a very lifelike quality to it that makes me so consumed; I could watch is multiple times and never bore. It really has a soul to it, and I like that.

• Like 1

And #20 and 24. They'll be up in two more posts. Sorry Impact, it looks likely that the last film I'll reveal will be my number one.Question: Will my number one keep this year's tradition of no repeat number ones on the Critical Consensus, or will that change?I will mention that at least one film in my top 10 that hasn't been mentioned yet is one that should be totally unexpected, but it's a really good film.

Edited by The Creator
  • Like 1

Question: Will my number one keep this year's tradition of no repeat number ones on the Critical Consensus, or will that change?

There are 3 possible options for duplication, since you're not putting The Road Home first. Aside from those 3, there is only 1 other film I think could conceivably be your #1, so I will play the odds and say you break the tradition. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

There are 3 possible options for duplication, since you're not putting The Road Home first. Aside from those 3, there is only 1 other film I think could conceivably be your #1, so I will play the odds and say you break the tradition.

I'm pretty torn myself. I almost put LoveBytes at number 1 or 2.
  • Like 1