Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Regarding DC Films:

The big thing is the publishing division. I know that, for example, the Wonder Woman rights are tied to publishing Wonder Woman comics. No comics, things get real messy. So that will be the biggest tell of all that they are looking to sell those rights if say, they start making masses cuts (even more than they have) to their publishing division. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YM! said:

They literally said they’re done with scripted content lol.

When did "they" announce that? So just every network owned by WB is done making original scripted content now? Again, this is mostly speculation so far as to what's going to stick around and what isn't.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

Just now, Cap said:

Regarding DC Films:

The big thing is the publishing division. I know that, for example, the Wonder Woman rights are tied to publishing Wonder Woman comics. No comics, things get real messy. So that will be the biggest tell of all that they are looking to sell those rights if say, they start making masses cuts (even more than they have) to their publishing division. 

I think things have to get worse before WB considers selling off it core assets. They will try drastic cost cutting before they do that.

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know if you mean to come off the way you do but all of your posts are super condescending. We all know and understand this is a business. I have run businesses my whole adult life.

I will say this again, I don’t think he’s making good business decisions but that’s on him, I don’t care cause I have no control or money invested in any of this. Will I be disappointed if something gets canceled I like? Sure, but I’ll be over it in a few hours and move on with my life. This is nothing new, just a different white rich dude in charge. 

I have said this quite a few times (including yesterday) but to no avail. If it was 1 or 2 posts like this but its 50 to 100 each time something happens. Very repetitive and very dismissive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m really tired of people trying to defend these decisions as “just business.” If Discovery isn’t willing to take risks with the company that they bought, then they shouldn’t have bought it to begin with. 

You don't take risks when you are carrying as much debt as Warners is.

Just now, dudalb said:

I think things have to get worse before WB considers selling off it core assets. They will try drastic cost cutting before they do that.

But it’s also about selling at the right time, and for the maximum value. If you could sell DC comics and all of its rights to say Paramount or Amazon or Apple net like 5-7B, might be worth it. 

Would it probably be short sighted? Absolutely. But if you’re looking to reduce your debt quickly, 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

But it’s also about selling at the right time, and for the maximum value. If you could sell DC comics and all of its rights to say Paramount or Amazon or Apple net like 5-7B, might be worth it. 

Would it probably be short sighted? Absolutely. But if you’re looking to reduce your debt quickly, 🤷‍♀️

5-7B isn't enough...maybe you get a Sony type deal where you sell them the Flash and his villains or the Lantern Corps for that value...

1 minute ago, Cap said:

Trick is to reduce debt quickly but without damaging your core assets.

I thinf WB will have to go the brink before they sell DC.

And ,,,,I am waiting for the explosion...DIsney would be one of the likely buyers............

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

Regarding DC Films:

I need a third Wonder Woman film with Gal Gadot so that I have a trilogy and then they can do whatever they want lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

But again look at what Disney has made off of Marvel and Star Wars. 

That would literally be throwing tens of billions over the next couple of decades down the drain. Definitely cut debt, but... Where do they go from there? Like, what is their future plan? Obviously DC isn't the only asset they have, but in terms of potential, it's definitely their biggest one. 

Just now, reddevil19 said:

But again look at what Disney has made off of Marvel and Star Wars. 

That would literally be throwing tens of billions over the next couple of decades down the drain. Definitely cut debt, but... Where do they go from there? Like, what is their future plan? Obviously DC isn't the only asset they have, but in terms of potential, it's definitely their biggest one. 

This.

Bad as things are, Warners selling DC is long way from happening. They will try everything before doing that.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Again, if this is such a problem for Discovery, they shouldn’t have bought WB to begin with. No one forced them to do it. 

Oh, I agree. Buying a company heavy with debt is not a good idea. But, as someone ponted uou, several events beyond anybody's control in the economy made the debt crisis worse after the purchase.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

5-7B isn't enough...maybe you get a Sony type deal where you sell them the Flash and his villains or the Lantern Corps for that value...

7B is close to what Disney paid for Marvel and Lucasfilm combined or alternatively Pixar and with those purchases they also got film production companies. If I recall correctly DC films uses WB and New Line for production so all you would be getting is the IP.

I can't see DC selling for much over 7-8B unless there is some other incentives thrown in.

If this was a few months there was some crazy money being thrown around for all sorts of production companies so they could have made a huge sum early in the year or late last year probably but I think that is over for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Potiki said:

7B is close to what Disney paid for Marvel and Lucasfilm combined or alternatively Pixar and with those purchases they also got film production companies. If I recall correctly DC films uses WB and New Line for production so all you would be getting is the IP.

I can't see DC selling for much over 7-8B unless there is some other incentives thrown in.

If this was a few months there was some crazy money being thrown around for all sorts of production companies so they could have made a huge sum early in the year or late last year probably but I think that is over for the foreseeable future. 

Marvel was $4B 13 years ago - just by time value of money, that price would be double.

And Disney didn't get all of it - they didn't get MOST of the flagship characters (Spidey, Xmen, FF, the villains for each, etc) - all they got was the Avengers and the pips...

And then Disney showed what it could be worth over the last 13 years...and that's raises the price exponentially...

So, if you get ALL of DC's flagship at current 2022 prices, you're talking at least $30B, not $5-7B, as a starting figure...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1