Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

In the US they just lost 300,000 subs, their growth is slow internationally, and about 40 million people are getting the service for free through their traditional HBO Subscription. On top of that: streaming does not yield the high revenues of cable. It costs a lot to operate and makes too little.

Did it ever occur to them that the reason they've lost so many subs is because they're taking stuff off the service? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Did it ever occur to them that the reason they've lost so many subs is because they're taking stuff off the service? 

It's an expensive service, inflation is high as hell, and people are now outside back to work and have less time for streaming services.

Content removal being the cause of subscriber loss is mostly wishful thinking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Squibbonator said:

Like what? 200 episodes of Sesame Street? The Fungies? No one watches this stuff. I get it sucks for the talent involved with these shows, but adults aren't watching this and their kids don't care they'll move onto something else

6 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I was talking stuff like Batgirl. 

Stuff like Batgirl... and any other examples? There wasn't even a trailer released for that movie, I really don't think THAT many people are unsubscribing because of it.

19 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Fuck you Zaslav!

Jesus, that seems like a sure firw winner, and could not have cost that much.

Apparnely TImm and Abrams will be allowed to shop it around, but I don't see the logic of this move.

The problem is not that Zaslev is makiing deep cuts...that was inevitable no matter who was in charge,,but that his cuts make no sense.

Raking up DC vs Marvel is the last fucking thing I want to do, but right now pretty clear that Disney Plus is a better deal then HBO/Max.

I disagree ,though that streming is going downhill' I think most of the gains it made in viewership dri9ng the Covid Crisis are here to stay. People have just got into the habit of watching streaming. Things are not going back the way they were pre Covid, period.

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Like what? 200 episodes of Sesame Street? The Fungies? No one watches this stuff. I get it sucks for the talent involved with these shows, but adults aren't watching this and their kids don't care they'll move onto something else

Where’d you get the idea that no one watches Sesame Street? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Where’d you get the idea that no one watches Sesame Street? 

You know what I mean. No one's cancelling their service because they or their kids can't watch 200 out of 8 billion Sesame Street episodes

Just to clarify, the Batman: Caped Crusader cartoon has not been cancelled. It was planned for a simultaneous release on HBO Max and Cartoon Network, and will still be airing on the latter as part of its ACME Night block. But it will not be streaming on HBO Max; the company is instead shopping it out to other streaming services. 

Not trying to downplay the severity of all this by any means, just making sure we don't get carried away with misconceptions. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

25 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Just to clarify, the Batman: Caped Crusader cartoon has not been cancelled. It was planned for a simultaneous release on HBO Max and Cartoon Network, and will still be airing on the latter as part of its ACME Night block. But it will not be streaming on HBO Max; the company is instead shopping it out to other streaming services. 

Not trying to downplay the severity of all this by any means, just making sure we don't get carried away with misconceptions. 

Yeah, that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It’s great that the show apparently isn’t being canceled, but it still comes across as baffling that Zaslav doesn’t want a Batman cartoon on a streaming service that he owns. He seems to be going out of his way to strip HBO Max of any content that doesn’t fit with the traditional HBO brand. 

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

As long as I can see it.

Hey, people can make jokes  but I can see Disney Plus making a serious offer for this series. I almost wish it would  happen just to see some of the more rabid "I hate Marvel and Disney" DC fanboys heads explode.

I don't know how it will turn out...I have not been impressed with Timm's work over the past ten years.....but maybe a regular Batman series can being the old Timm back.

39 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

It's probably going to be Hulu. They already have other Cartoon Network series on there. 

Those are all from before the Disney buyout. All the animation on Hulu came from deals made before before the merger.

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m sure Netflix would be more than happy to scoop up a Batman cartoon. 

Hell, I think any streaming service would, particualry since it is from Bruce Timm, who had such a massive sucess back in the 90's with his DC animated series >Granted, his most recent work has not been nearly at that level, but the chance that lightinng could strike twice, and that the mere name Batman will bring in viewers make it a risk worth taking.