Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The reception to BVS didn’t affect Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman, it wouldn’t conveniently kick in just 3 movies later. 

I mean, Justice League was the direct continuation from BvS. That's exactly the movie whose OW will be affected by BVS being divisive.

Not to mention the other two movies have its own independent attractive point.

Suicide Squad has Harley Quinn and Joker, who are pretty popular characters. Also, the concept was different and interesting.

Wonder Woman is the iconic superheroine who had never been the lead in a movie. Also, this movie attracted more female audience than usual. 

Edited by Kon

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I mean, Justice League was the direct continuation from BvS. That's exactly the movie whose OW will be affected by BVS being divisive.

Suicide Squad has Harley Quinn and Joker, who are pretty popular characters. Also, the concept was different and interesting.

Wonder Woman is the iconic superheroine who had never been the lead in a movie. Also, this movie attracted more female audience than usual. 

problem was the Ayer Suicide Squad messed up the Joker so badly.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

The first WW was also a much better movie then BvS.

4 hours ago, Kon said:

I won’t deny that BvS played a part in the low OW for JL, but I’d argue the marketing didn’t do it any favors either, nor did all the messy PR that was going on at the time. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I won’t deny that BvS played a part in the low OW for JL, but I’d argue the marketing didn’t do it any favors either, nor did all the messy PR that was going on at the time. 

And that it was not a very good film did not help.

I am not a fan of Zack Snyder but I think, though still badly flawed, the Snydercut of JL iwas better then what we got in theaters. At least Snyder got that you needed Darkseid as the Big Bad behind everything; having one of his henchman as the main villian with only a one sentenc e mentione of Darksied was a big mistake.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

problem was the Ayer Suicide Squad messed up the Joker so badly.

To be fair, that's the one part of the film where it's clearly least fair to compare the on-screen depiction to a mythical "Ayers Cut."

Yes, Ayers presumably messed up Joker's design but the core attempt to redesign the character as a "Gangster" was clearly done for the sake of the cut "emancipation of Harley Quinn" storyline. So you get to see the bad redesign but not the actual attempt to redeem/vindicate the controversial choice.

Lest we forget, SS actually won the best costuming/makeup oscar.  It's not like the people creating the visuals were incompetent. 

Just poke around to see all of the known cut content. It's mostly joker stuff. 

At least Snyder got that you needed Darkseid as the Big Bad behind everything;

I took the opposite lesson. WB felt so strongly about Darkseid they actively stepped in to prevent JL from damaging the character to prop up a film they didn't believe in. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I took the opposite lesson. WB felt so strongly about Darkseid they actively stepped in to prevent JL from damaging the character to prop up a film they didn't believe in. 

Nah. They cut Darkseid from the film because they no longer planned to follow up on that storyline. They had already decided around that time that they were going to soft-reboot the film series with Flashpoint. 

Anyway, apparently SS 2016 is now trending at number four on Netflix. For whatever reason, there’s something about that film that managed to stick with people, despite its terrible reception. It’s almost like the Bayformers of superhero movies. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

Zas "monetizing" that apparently not-so-valued DC content...

Tubi to Stream ‘The Batman,’ ‘Suicide Squad’ and More DC Universe Movies and TV Shows (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-batman-dc-movies-streaming-tubi-1235834290/

Holy shit! Literally giving out DC films for free now... well at least ad supported.